Lanson's build - 2012 Cavalry Blue - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Member Build Ups Section for members to post their FJ buildups.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Lanson's build - 2012 Cavalry Blue

My door latches were the same and I just ordered some new ones from Toyota. They were only a few dollars and are nice and shiny now.

2008 FJ - Sandstorm - Bilstein 5100's - Bilstein +1.5" Rear coils - 285/70/17E Falken Wild Peak AT3W's - BMC - Light Racing Upper Control Arms - All Pro sliders - Rokmen Trailing Arms - Cobra 75 WX ST / Boztec / 3' Firefly - Baufeng UV-5R V2+ - Blacked out factory wheels and trim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
IDFJ previously said: View Post
I'd take a close look at the rear crossmember of the frame behind the rear plastic bumper. Thst seems to be a rust-magnet for lots of FJs.
Yeah, exactly right. I did get under there in the first week of ownership, and I took advantage of the fact that the dealer must have steam-washed the whole thing as it was very clean. I sprayed Ace Rust Stop in flat black in those areas, and they looked acceptable. I also hit with satin and gloss black in various areas all over the truck, especially as I was doing the suspension and other things under there. Time will tell if I did a good job or not, but it looks good now so I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
sandFJ90210 previously said: View Post
Car looks great. Wouldn't a gloss black roof look better, with the gloss black cavalry blue, instead of the matte finish?
Thanks! I've wrapped using gloss black before, and two things held me back from using gloss again, at least in the Avery SW9000 material (which is all I really know how to wrap.) The gloss type shows the air release channels, even if you lay it down perfectly. So gloss wraps almost always have a little texture. My second reason is that the rest of the truck's black features like the trim, and the Fuel wheels to come, are satin/flat black. So I'm hoping satin flows better than gloss when it all gets complete. I wrapped a Ford Flex roof in Avery gloss black (which also began life as a white-topped vehicle) and it went "OK", but not perfect either. Learned a lot from that one and didn't charge the customer any labor for doing it, just materials.

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
Looking good. You’ve done a reslly tidy job on the wrap
Thanks! I respectfully disagree but I've also been up close with the wrap and I know all the imperfections I caused by various reasons. The first stage of the wrap (the main top center section), I wrapped on a hot, muggy day and it really got me. My sweat is trapped under the wrap in places, and some sections didn't lay down very well because of the extra stretch caused by the heat at the time. Always try to wrap in controlled conditions! I pushed anyway and it ended up a little "meh". Of course, its the top of the roof so I'm not judging it too harshly. I decided to separately wrap the roof rack delete clips, and time will tell if that was a good decision or if I should have wrapped the roof as one complete unit with the clips in place. For now, I give myself a 6/10 for wrapping this roof. I did a much better job on the sides though, and I'm very happy with those. Good thing, too, as those are highly visible.

One note: My white to blue paint line was wavy from the factory, and I had a crisis of confidence whether I should match that line with my vinyl, or snap a clean line of my own. I went with my own line which is actually more straight than the factory one. It is necessary to extend the line by at least 1/16" to clear the white from showing, too. That was a hard call as really close, it doesn't look great. About 5-10 feet away, it looks good though.

This rig should look really good once the wheels and tires arrive though!
ZerosFJ likes this.

2012 Cavalry Blue - 3" Toytec BOSS 2.0 lift, JBA Control arms, Fuel Anza 17x8.5, Patagonia M/T 285/70-17, roof wrapped in Avery satin black vinyl, all work DIY for better or worse
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

On the Audio topic

At some point, I'll need to dig into the audio, which is where my strengths are in the modification world. I want to first measure the response rate of the factory system, which honestly sounds pretty great to my ears (hence why it wasn't on the chopping block before suspension, the roof rack/wrap and wheels/tires). The FJ's sound system is the first factory system I've been satisfied with enough to not dig into and try to replace right away. We (my wife and kids) just moved across the country from Las Vegas, NV to Overland Park, KS to start the kiddos at a better school and build a better family-oriented life than Vegas can offer; I'm with my family for now, which is fine as they have a large, empty house and they wanted us to stay there while we shopped around for our own house. That means that pretty much all my primary tools, woodworking tools, and all that equipment is in storage though, and that means real fabrication work is on hold until I can move my stuff to my own place. I can do some basic work without all that, like dropping in drivers and doing deadening work.

My plan for the primary speaker side is to install Audiofrog GS690's in the door, and Kravchenko Audio "KAXBLTWT-M" tweeters in the factory location in the dash. For those tweeters, check 'em out online and you'll see why I am stoked to have another pair in my hands! I've used the Audiofrogs before as well, and there's nothing better for 6x9 sizing, IMO. I noticed that the factory locations are pretty much ideal for an acoustic image placed very nicely on the dash, especially for a factory system lacking any time alignment. I figure by improving on the factory speakers but by keeping those locations, I'll be ahead. I will be installing a Helix V-Eight processor/amp, I'm thinking under one of the seats, in a way that will protect it from weather/elements. I haven't yet figured out HOW, but I'm thinking of using cellular PVC instead of vulnerable MDF. I'll have to think it through, as this is the first vehicle I've run without some semblance of a protected trunk or hidden cargo area. The V-Eight is a 10 channel DSP, with 8 channels of 75W power, and I've run this processor in previous builds and it has never let me down in any way. I'll pair that with one of my Massive Audio N series sub amps, and I think I'll try pushing the factory sub a bit just to see how hard it can run with real power behind it.

For deadening, I plan on using Resonix and Knu Kolossus materials, and plenty of it. I also need to try and drop the headliner a second time (had to partially do it to get the roof rack off, another nightmare story for another day), and get some reflective insulation in there to combat the heat I'm adding by wrapping the roof black. Every mod has its price, but I bet that one will get to me by next summer, if I don't handle it. Also, for a well-built truck, it tends to rattle in bad places like the door panels, so deadening will be really important to get the right final result. Audio is usually good to tackle in the fall or summer, so I'll plan on working on this end of it here in a month or so.

2012 Cavalry Blue - 3" Toytec BOSS 2.0 lift, JBA Control arms, Fuel Anza 17x8.5, Patagonia M/T 285/70-17, roof wrapped in Avery satin black vinyl, all work DIY for better or worse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

So I got the last of the wrap done, and got a chance to bring it out in the daylight for final inspection. The top satellite radio bump was extremely difficult for me, and it isn't anywhere near perfect. In fact I'm certain I'll be redoing that part again sometime soon. Hell, it might get painted satin black or something, at this point. Just a huge PITA.

Anyway, this is it:

Will be installing these wheels once delivered, to finish it off, with Patagonia M/T's
ZerosFJ, Iconic_ and DBCooper like this.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Today was a pretty great day. My order from Discount Tire Direct came in. A complete set of wheels and tires already mounted and balanced, with hardware. It is a shame they don't send extra lug nuts (even if you ask nicely) for the rear door spare, so I had to steal two lugs from the rear wheels to mount it, for now.

As they arrived. Very nicely packaged and protected.

I just love this look. Note also the fresh TPMS sensors w/ stems. I felt at this point, it was important to put new ones on, plus it meant they could deliver me complete assemblies to bolt and go.

This tire has a menacing tread!

Now the idea of a satin black roof looks more in-place, IMO.

Despite being "only" 285/70-17's on a 17x8.5 -6 wheel, the tires do rub on the rubber back there in front of the body mount area. So, I'll have to take those off and see how that goes. It was expected, given the tire tread is aggressive and Milestar tires appear to be true-to-size. Small price to pay, I think. My next thing is to work on the camera mount. Either paint it to reduce the ugly, or find a cover for it. Not a big deal but it would be nice to not show that in the back.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Member Build Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in