Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Annoying metalic rubbing sound

7K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Jim1960 
#1 ·
My FJ has 16.5K miles on it. It's seen its share off off road driving and a lot of off camber rock garden dry wash type stuff in the desert. So, I go to Death Valley a couple weeks ago, finish the trip, and no noises. Then it rains, and just like that, a metallic rubbing clicking sound that's fairly loud starts emanating from the rear door near the door latch. I have learned to clean every millimeter of rubber after trips to cut down on the rubbing sounds from the doors and as such cleaned the hell out of the rear rubber and door latches. So now you drive and no noise, then you stop shut it down, get back in fire it up and the noise is back. The reason it is so annoying is it occurs on the slightest tilt of road surface and intermittently. If I take it off road, It will drive me mad. I have checked every bolt there is and can not find why it's doing this. I have cleaned all rock catching spots in the rear wheel wells, and checked every bolt and nut under the belly. Nothing is loose.
Any suggestions?

#3 ·
My noise only sounds off when I cross over a minimally off camber spot in the road, where one rear tire rises and the other does not. This tells me logically that it's a tweaking body problem and gets worse when it rains. The rubber seal is sliding on the paint surface it would seem. but it's too metallic for that type of sound.

If you were to grab onto the rear door locking shock (bottom left looking forward) and twist it till it clunks, this is a reasonably close example of the sound I get.

#4 ·
also check the thin metal guards at back of brake rotors...they can bend and touch rotor or let rocks or other items get in there to cause a noise as well. also your rear lca might be wearing out the insert and will make some wrattling...

never had any in my doors or locks though....maybe have someone ride or walk beside you on trail and listen for you while you concentrate on trail.

#10 ·
actually my back seat latch did it....if it was not shut good it would rattle. the one on my FJ60 does it too and wrapped in a layer or two of elec tape and it is quiet as mouse now....and that would sound like it is in door.

#14 ·
I just checked that out and put a tee shirt in there to dampen any possible rattling. However I definitely hear it back at the door latch area. I'm going to have to hop in the back and have my gal drive over speed bumps to precisely locate the offender.

#19 ·
Here is my experience with a "rubbing noise" when going over speed bumps or making turns where there was any body lean.....

After listening closely and rocking the truck side to side, I found the noise to be coming from the OEM rear bumper cover (the one on the sides). It was rubbing against the center bumper cover. I sprayed (alot) silicone where the 2 pieces touch...have not heard a noise since then. Even after car washes, rain and snow storm....still no noise. (I did call the dealer and had them make a note of it incase it become a bigger issue in the future).

:bigthumb: :cheers:

#18 ·
The rear door has a plastic guide that the door slides into.When it gets dirty I get an annoying clunk. I routinely have to clean all around the guide and apply white lithium grease on both side. Use a qtip to get all the way into it.

#20 ·
I just had my gal drive me around while I was in the back. Other than hearing it emanating from the latch side of the rear door, I was unable to discern where exactly. I'll look at the bumper ends and grease the plastic latch this weekend.

Thanks again for all your input.

#23 ·
JUst spit balling here:
Spare tire
License Plate
rear coil perches
rear window not closed completely

#24 ·
Spare tire - On and tight
License Plate On and tight
rear coil perches - Still need to check.

On one day only about two weeks ago, it made the noise while braking. it literally sounded like a loose nut in the door rolling from side to side. That has never been heard again.

#25 ·
The only noise I get is when I speed up and hammer through the puddles on the roads...

The noise comes from the passenger seat and only when my wife is with me.

When its just me and the kids the noise turns into a "giggling" sound from the back seat... sometimes followed by murmur that sounds strikingly like "mom's gonna kill you if she finds out what your doing with her FJ"...

:rofl::rofl:

#26 ·
IF your running a aftermarket bumper look dead center of rear door at bottom theres a bracket that usually does'nt get removed and rub bumper. Had this problem with mine. just a place to check

#27 ·
Did anyone finally figure out what the heck causes the rear door squeaking. Mine has now been going on for 25,000 miles. Every little mini bump makes the rear door latch area squeak and gets really bad when it rains or is cold. When it heats up everything swells up and squeaking goes away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.