Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

The OFFICIAL FJ squeaking/creaking fix thread

151K views 174 replies 85 participants last post by  carelo.koekemoer 
#1 · (Edited)
My FJ squeaks and creaks, be it on road or off. I think a lot of it has to do with plastic on metal interior bits, which when heated or cooled, create noises that drive me insane. Some of these issues I've managed to resolve; some I haven't. I thought it might be a good idea for the forum to compile everything I've come across into one easy-to-diagnose and easy-to-fix thread. I hope others will chime in and add their noises and fixes as this progresses. For ease of understanding, I'm going to establish a template that we can all work within. As items get added, I'll update this Post.

Noise Description: what's does your squeak/creak sound like to you? Rubber on metal, metal on metal, grinding, etc?

Noise Location: Have you managed to locate where the noise is coming from? Try to be accurate in your commentary here. We're not looking for "Its a screw by the flappy thing on my passenger side fenderwell"

Picture: Please, add one so we can all see exactly what your talking about. If you can't upload a pic, PM me and we'll make other arrangements

Solution/Fix: Tell us what you did to fix the problem. Did it work? Would you do something different?

//////////////////////////////

Noise Description: Chirping/squeaking sound coming from my rear passenger area

Noise Location: Passenger side rear seat latch

Picture:

Solution/Fix: I wrapped my Ubolt with Gorilla tape / used lithium grease / etc. "Worked great! I have to reapply the tape every once and a while"

Noise Description: Rear (cargo) door squeak. I get a squeaky sound coming from my rear door whenever I hit a bump. After a bit of trial and error, I isolated the cause to 2 culprits. Once is the rear door latch. It seems that over time, the latch gets a bit of play in it, causing the door to shift ever so slightly and make a squeaking noise. I also found that my rubber door stoppers on the body were squeaking as well. On mine you can grab one and turn it ever so little and it squeaks to high heaven.

Noise Location: Rear door latch / Rear door rubber stopper

Picture: Images to come

Solution/Fix: I wrapped my Ubolt with Gorilla tape. I've tried a few things with the rear door stopper. I sprayed underneath it with lithium grease. didn't work. I tried putting packing tape between the stopper and the door. didn't work. Removed the stopper. Worked. It's only temporary, but it'll do for now.

Noise Description: Metallic Thunk when going over speedbumps, potholes, uneven road surfaces in excess of 8-10 mph.

Solution: None to date. I've looked at everything, from the sway-bar, upper & lower arms (ICON Billet), brakes, shocks, spring & bucket, diff-skid, drive shaft, bumper, shackles, exhaust-pipe....I've put wrenches and screwdrivers to EVERYTHING underneath my FJ and still cannot find that stupin KA-THUNK......it's driving me bat-Sh!it crazy.......Oh and it's definitley exterior.....

Noise Description: Metal on Metal, mostly noticed when going over any kind of bump. Thought it was the rear seat latch.

Location: Rear of vehicle, sounds like the rear glass or MPAC Rack

Solution: I tore the @ss end of my FJ apart...turns out it was the spare tire rack on the tailgate. Over the past 5 years, it had loosened up a little bit. 5 minutes and a socket wrench and it's fixed.

Noise Description: annoying slight rattle coming from both front doors. It is only when the windows are fully up. It goes away as soon as the windows are opened even 1/4". If you press hard on the window in the full up position it also goes away

Location: Front Window. It sounds like it is coming from the window winder mechanism but the mechanics said they had the door trim off and there is nothing obvious.

Solution: finally figured it out that it was the rubber seal on the door squeeking against the body at top of door. fix was to wax the area where the rubber made contact. Squirting a bit of silicone spray between the rubber door seal and the door frame fixed it nicely.

DESCRIPTION: the driver side window squeaks or makes the sound of a spring losing its tension. Its done it since the truck was new and no rime or reason as to when ie cold weather, wet weather, etc.

NOISE LOCATION: Driver side only (surprisingly enough).

PICTURE: N'A

SOLUTION/FIX: WarWagon just mentioned using silicone spray, and I read a post not long ago saying spray the entire window track. Stay tuned, going to try that.

See less See more
#5 ·
This thread is a great idea! I've been respraying the rear passenger u bolt ever few weeks to shut it up. Definitely going to try you gorilla tape idea, seems like it will last a little longer. Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Noise: Metallic Thunk when going over speedbumps, potholes, uneven road surfaces in excess of 8-10 mph.

Solution: None to date. I've looked at everything, from the sway-bar, upper & lower arms (ICON Billet), brakes, shocks, spring & bucket, diff-skid, drive shaft, bumper, shackles, exhaust-pipe....I've put wrenches and screwdrivers to EVERYTHING underneath my FJ and still cannot find that stupin KA-THUNK......it's driving me bat-Sh!it crazy.......Oh and it's definitley exterior.....

#12 ·
Bevo, you should try the rear door latch. I had a similar sound like it was coming from behind my subwoofer. I pulled out a plastic cover that was behind the OEM inverter, but that wasnt it. Wrapped a piece of tape on that latch and that cured it. Guessing it was caused by having a heavier spare

#8 ·
Noise Description: Metal on Metal, mostly noticed when going over any kind of bump. Thought it was the rear seat latch.

Noise Location: Rear of vehicle, sounds like the rear glass or MPAC Rack

Solution/Fix: I tore the @ss end of my FJ apart...turns out it was the spare tire rack on the tailgate. Over the past 5 years, it had loosened up a little bit. 5 minutes and a socket wrench and it's fixed.

#11 ·
Can you hearing it rolling or anything back and forth? If so, I bet its a dried piece of silicone that fell down through the roof rack bolt hole.

If not, my guess would be that its a wire leading to the passenger side exciter speaker in the headliner thats fallen and rattling on your headliner

#16 ·
Thanks to the OP for this posting and picture. In my 6 month new 13 TTs I had this annoying creaking coming from right rear. I was getting frustrated as in 10+ yrs of owning my 4th gen 4R, it never made noise like that.

I put on some electrical tape on that d-ring and guess what, creak is gone!!

So big thanks again...

Reactions: fb's vb fj
#25 ·
Definitely mechanical. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen in his Tacoma. When he took it in he was told the noise was within spec. I live a few hours from the nearest dealer so when I finally get it checked out I'll post up. It sounds like a bearing to me...maybe a blower motor or something.

#24 ·
Noise Description: A "metallic sounding" popping/clicking noise

Noise Location: Seems it is either coming from inside the cab under the driver seat and possibly between it and the center console of my '13 TT. Seems it started recently and is driving me nuts! I tried to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, no success yet.

Picture: I will post a pic soon

Solution/Fix: None yet.

#26 ·
Noise Description: Metallic, swishing, rocking sound.

Noise Location: Somewhere in the back right side of the cargo compartment.

Solution: Found that my can of Teflon spray lube was laying on its side in my cargo container stood it back up right no more sound from there.

Race car parts..... make race car parts sounds. :rocker:

#27 ·
A squeek coming fro the front end, the slightest vibration would set it off. Door closing, strong wind, smack the front bumper with hand......squeek.

Recently replaced the suspenion and added a new bumper so they were first suspect.

Checked all the bolts, mounts.....everything tight and in place.....not the culprit.

Next

Check all the bolts and mounting points on the bumper......everythig tight and flush.....not the culprit.

Now I am lost.....squeek is still there.

After checking everything once again just to be sure..still no change. Checked everything in the engine bay twice over....nothing.

Turns out it is the AC condensor mounts....now just have to figure out how to make them stop squeeking.

#28 ·
here's one a few of you may have:

DESCRIPTION: the driver side window squeaks or makes the sound of a spring losing its tension. Its done it since the truck was new and no rime or reason as to when ie cold weather, wet weather, etc.

SOLUTION/FIX: WarWagon just mentioned using silicone spray, and I read a post not long ago saying spray the entire window track. Stay tuned, going to try that.
:thinkerg::thinkerg:

2007 FJ Cruiser – Voodoo Blue - C Pckge – AT
Toytec Ultimate 3” Lift / Total Chaos UCA
285/70R/17 Michelin LTX A/T
Clazzio Seat Covers

Install Pending - ECGS 3rd member 4.56 gears / ECGS Front Diff 4.56 gears / ARB Front Locker / ARB mini compressor

In the Mail – DeMello Hybrid Sliders

#34 ·
here's one a few of you may have:

DESCRIPTION: the driver side window squeaks

:thinkerg::thinkerg:

Then there is that horrible squawking from the passenger seat, I just stop and make her get out.

#31 ·
this past week i've been noticing a creaking from the passenger front wheel well. whenever a passenger gets in or out or if i pull on my slider or bumper to move the suspension there is loud creaks. not sure where exactly its coming from i think it might be my LR UCAs but i have checked all the bolts on suspension bumper skids ucas and nothing seems to be wrong. still drives great just bugs the crap out of me. i can also hear it when i go slow and hit a dip or flex the suspension some. any thoughts?

#33 ·
Maximus, I just had the same creaking from my drivers side wheel well. Finally pinned it down to the ball joint on my Icon upper control arm. After cleaning and lubricating no more irritating creak! I just started with a can of WD-40 and did one thing at a time while rocking the truck. Hope this helps you find it because I know all to well how it can get to ya! Good luck!

#36 ·
It's the hood latch... I think.

My '07 has always had a real faint squeak. Usually occurs at around 20-30mph when the wind noise was low enough to hear it. Standard road vibration causes it. I thought it was in the back, but honestly didn't pay much attention to it until I installed my new suspension and have been really listening for any other issues. Now it's been driving crazy.

I finally had enough when I heard it pulling into my garage. Went around the front and rocked the truck a bit. Narrowed it down to the grill area. I opened the hood and it went away. So I have to assume it's the hood latch.

Now the question is, how to deal with it? I could try adjusting the latch. I could try wrapping the loop in the hood with tape. What do you guys recommend?

#37 ·
I'd try putting a rubber stopper or some such between the hood and radiator support. Something that still lets you close the hood but pushes up enough to keep it tight. If that fixes your problem, then I'd assume its either the latch being loose or maybe the hinges need to be tightened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.