post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Fire Extinguisher Info

Quote:
Gwagg previously said: View Post
What is up with Kidde extinguishers, at the local Tarjet they have 5lb extinguishers but they do not have ratings only "locations" Garage, Electronics room, living area and they do not put the chemical composition on the box either. I guess I do not have the intelligence to understand so marketing is dumbing down for the consumers.

I am holding out till our building gets their next inspection and will talk to the local company about a rebuilt.
The Kidde's are likely better than nothing, but a 10lb dry agent is probably the most appropriate for a truck. They have cheap plastic valves, brackets, etc. and are disposable. They also have less expensive chemical compounds that can be less effective and more corrosive.

Anything less than a 5 pounder is likely to be inadequate and anything more than 10#'s impractical (unweildly)!

Halon is most effective in a closed, sealed environment (like an airplane cabin-but occupants MUST use qxygen masks). In the open, good luck "smoothering" a fire with Halon (it essentially "sucks" the oxygen out of the air and will kill you)!

Water will just make a fuel fire WORSE...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Wow I'm kind of amazing at the number of people buying normal ABC type fire extinguishers. Not to sound like a fire extinguisher snob here, but you have a $20k+ vehicle plus who knows how much in mods, and you don't want to spend a $100 on a good tank? I personally went with halon replacement from Ansul: https://www.ansul.com/en/Products/ha...cleanguard.asp

I figured if I was out in the desert and got a small fire in the engine bay, the last thing I'd want is to spray that nasty ABC chemical spray on my engine. Yes, the fire would go out, but I'd still need a new engine at the end of the day.

Why not spend the $100 - $200 for the peace of mind that it won't ruin everything in your vehicle?

That's my .02

-Jared

-Jared

RIP Mike "Shadow Warrior" you were good man and a good friend to us all!

"If you feel you have been given poor service on this site, I'll gladly provide you with a full refund: $0.00 - ekool"
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
AZ_FJ previously said: View Post
A water fire extinguisher is NOT appropriate. It is only rated for Class A fires (flammable solids) which is the least likely Class you will be fighting. Class B,C (liquids and electrical) fires are more likely and water is not the right choice for these fires. Get a dry chemical extinguisher. They're cheap and available everywhere.
You are correct sir. I carry 2 dry chem ext. This one is for grass/camp/wild fire anything you would normally put out with water. Some areas require you carry 1 Gal of water for fire fighting purposes. This is how I cover that requirement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM

i have full coverage.."replacement cost"

step away from the vehicle and pass a marshmallow...
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
wvphoto previously said: View Post
i have full coverage.."replacement cost"

step away from the vehicle and pass a marshmallow...
Good point, but that only works out if you are on a road!

-Jared

RIP Mike "Shadow Warrior" you were good man and a good friend to us all!

"If you feel you have been given poor service on this site, I'll gladly provide you with a full refund: $0.00 - ekool"

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in