Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Designing my own rock gaurds and skid plates

I've designed sliders and built them for my FJ and 4runner.There are some pics. Hope this helps you with some ideas.
These are the FJ's sliders.

These are the 4 runner's sliders

Good luck on your projects, its fun and satisfying to build your own stuff and have it work for you.

07 FJ Cruiser - Sun Fusion (Yellow) 4x4 AT, 285-70/17 Good Year Wrangler MT/R's. Home made Rock sliders, Home made level lift. Home made LCA skids, All-Pro extreme LCA links, Home made High Lift Jack clamps, 4 KC Daylighters,Home made rear inside door rack,CB(cobra 19 & bandi mount,with 4' firestik, yakima load warrior w/extension, w/kayak and bike attachments.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

So are you planning to bolt through the frame? Personally, I wouldn't do it that way, but it's your perrogative. Newer Toyota frames are notoriously thin and if you don't sleeve the frame where you drill, you are going to collapse it when you really tighten the bolts down. Further, you also have to watch out for electrical wiring on the inside of the frame rail as well as fuel and brake lines when drilling. A flange type mount welded to the outside of the frame rail is a preferable attachment method....just make sure you fishmouth, make circular, or rotate a square into a diamond, any plate being welded to the frame so you don't introduce a stress riser to your frame at the weld point.

As for just buying the premade ones....I disagree with the others comments. You're already using TWICE the thickness of material of the Trail Gear ones if you go to 1/4" wall tubing (a good thing). Personally, a good 3/16" thick walled DOM in even a 1.75" OD would be sufficient and keep the weight down.

Remember when talking armor, that you're already driving a very heavy rig and adding weight to protect it is a necessity, but you want to go with as light as possible while still offering the protection you need. Simply put, the 1/8" wall tubing most sliders are made from is sufficient for mild use, but if you really push it, you need thicker tubing with LOTS of legs to the frame. I'd say 1 leg every 12-16" max.

I've seen a lot of 1/8" walled tubing dimple in from hard impacts. It will generally keep the rocks and the sliders out of the body, but they will eventually dimple enough to look like crap and when I build something, I only wanna do it once. With a heavier walled tube, the only maintenance will be repainting when you scratch the paint off.

BTW, Chris....happened to look at your adventurefilms website (don't really know why I was compelled to) but in any case....NICE work! Very beautiful and artistic pictures. I also like the fact that you have the strength to acknowledge your beliefs. Kudos to you and I wish you much success.

Take care,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

How about this:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...g-silders.html
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Are you asking for a critique of how they'll hold up....or something else?

They look nice, regardless.

Sean
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm moving this to the appropriate forum.

AdvFilms: I moved your last thread about roof racks from this very forum, so please in the future take the time to post in the right place. This section is for build-ups of vehicles.

Thanks,
Jared

-Jared

RIP Mike "Shadow Warrior" you were good man and a good friend to us all!

"If you feel you have been given poor service on this site, I'll gladly provide you with a full refund: $0.00 - ekool"
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
adventurefilms previously said: View Post
should start on the skid plate tonight. I measured the frame/door area and the bars that hold out the rock rails alos need to angle down to clear the corner of the frame/body and then angle up slighty to move the stuff out, tweeking it now, and trying a few other designs. We might be pulling off the front bumper this weekend and designing an old school dual pipe "tank" bumper, lol
Adv,

I am interested in your efforts!

If you look at some of the other designs, I think they just dropped the bar to the mounting plate to the bottom of the plate, and did away with angling down to clear the body.

I have always liked how far the Trail gear or All-pro sliders stuck out, but more liked the Demello design with the square long rails. So your design to me would be perfect in my mind with the long rail being square tubing tilted with a little angle. The I like how far they stick out.

Also, I have removed my mud flaps and would like to have a slider that goes the extra few inches in the front, it isn't much, but I don't believe there is an option for that in the market.

That and maybe some step plates so when you come back into the rig with wet/muddy feet you are less likely to slide your leg through the hole.

It has always been an oddity to me on "FJ" sliders as well since longer sliders from other/same companies for the Tacoma's are half the price. I understand upstart/new product etc, and that in normal business world, 2x cost is normal. But those have kept me from pulling the trigger, even though I should.

Hope it helps! And gets built!

Dax

Black Diamond - 4x4|6MT|CQ|UP#1|GY - 37607
Stuff

Last edited by FJuggernaut; 08-13-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Added text
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming

Treknwil, I've told you once before but here it goes again. You've got the nicest rails that I've seen. Just too bad you won't make them any more. I'd get them instead of my Trail Gears.

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 PM

if you could put a flat surface on top of the sliders so they could be used as steps that would be great! I'd get a set!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Forum Regular

The 4-runner sliders are badass!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in