Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Garmin GPS

15K views 81 replies 51 participants last post by  DropDodger 
#1 ·
I looked at one today, does anyone see a benifit in these, found one for 499. looks pretty useful and easy to stow away.

#7 ·
I like my GPSMAP 60CSx handheld. Easy to use. Screen is kinda small, but I also use the 60CSx for a receiver for my laptop running Delormme Topo USA 6.0. Helluva combo.

#12 ·
I too have the Garmin Nuvi 350 and I love this unit. I do a lot of traveling for work across North America and having the unit with me is a must. If your not familiar with the area, haveing the turn by turn with scrolling map is a real lifesaver. Plus it recalculates your route if you make a wrong turn. Love this unit.

You can load topo's on it via the SD card slot, but as of yet, have not tried it.

#18 ·
Got mine as a gift on Father's day. 20,000kms later and haven't got lost yet!

#13 ·
Did you see this String?

Ok now, you peeps need to save the fat guy a back ache this year and get your parts early, we have a lot of 'em on sale for everyone. So browse down the list and if you see something you like the the link will be right under it to our site.

NOW FOR ALL YOU LONERS OUT THERE THAT GO OUT INTO THE WILDERNESS

Portable Navigtion System-Garmen Nuvi 350

MSRP $499.50 TRDSparks $419.50

Description:

The Nuvi: A versatile travel assistant that's approximately the size of a deck of playing cards. The nuvi is a portable GPS navigator, traveler's reference,and digital entertainment system,all in one. Combined with detailed maps, the nuvi provides automatic routing, turn-by-turn voice directions, and finger-touchscreen control-making it easy to find your way anywhere.

YOU CAN GET IT HERE--->>>Sparks Toyota

MoRe To CoMe!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

#14 ·
I've been a GPS user for 10+ years and just got my FJ 3 days ago. So I can add some value on my 1st post!

I like the Garmin 276C for car use. It has a large detailed screen with good color graphics. It can take any of the Garmin map sets and the removable (but proprietary) memory card can hold a lot of data. The 376C is the same as the 276C but adds an XM radio and can be used for weather data as well. I use Garmin's City Select mapping product on here and it allows door to door routing, etc,, and the unit does talk via the 12v power cord speaker. My wife loves it as well.

In the winter I do a lot of hiking and mountain climbing and really like the Garmin Rino 530HCX. It's a hand held GPS with color screen and a mini-SD card can hold tons of maps. It is also a weather radio, a FRS radio and a GMRS radio with a range of > 10 miles. It's handy for hiking as you can use it to communicate and it also logs your route via the use of capturing your movement every x seconds. I use the Garmin Topo 2008 mapping product on this unit. These things cost about $499 retails and $375 discount. It's also an altimeter, a thermometer, a compass, etc.. as well as a GPS.

I have been very happy with GPS Discount, Inc. sells name brand GPS receivers, fishfinders, marine chart plotters and topographical mapping software along with other outdoor items.[/url] for my products. I have no affiliation with them other than as a happy customer.

Tom

PS: My new FJ is an 2008 Titanium with AT, CQ and not much else except the TRD Wheels/BF Goodrich All-Terrains. Well, it has a roof rack and tow hitch and arm rest and such. But no A-Trac or Locking diff but I'm fine as it will go all the places here in Colorado that I'd like to take it to.

#17 ·
....In the winter I do a lot of hiking and mountain climbing and really like the Garmin Rino 530HCX. It's a hand held GPS with color screen and a mini-SD card can hold tons of maps. It is also a weather radio, a FRS radio and a GMRS radio with a range of > 10 miles. It's handy for hiking as you can use it to communicate and it also logs your route via the use of capturing your movement every x seconds. I use the Garmin Topo 2008 mapping product on this unit. These things cost about $499 retails and $375 discount. It's also an altimeter, a thermometer, a compass, etc.. as well as a GPS.....
Ditto on the 530 HCx....I picked mine up this past summer and it has worked spectacular...mapped several trails in the Uinta mtns. here in Utah on my way to lakes and streams. I got mine off Ebay for $499...but that also included a mini SD card and the 2008 Topo U.S. disc.

#19 ·
I run the Garmin 76C and I love it. Tried a few of the others, but nothing compares to Garmin. I use my GPS professionally, for fun and for lots of other things.
My only wish is that the FJ would have continuous power... or a jack on the top of the dash for the GPS.

#21 ·
I use the garmin 60Csx in the FJC and when hiking. I wouldn't have been able to safely explore unnamed, unmarked mountain trails without it. And it's great for finding your way to unfamiliar addresses as well. But a GPS is only as accurate and up to date as it's maps. Garmin's maps for last year still show some points of interest in my home town that had been leveled and replaced almost a decade ago.
-Trev

#23 ·
I want to get a hand-held GPS for wheeling, hiking and mtn. biking. I DON'T need one for the car. I'd like it to interface with my PC - maps, etc. Not looking for anything really complicated.

What unit would you guys suggest I look at?

Thanks.

#24 ·
Just had to post to this one. Have been using Garmin for almost 20 years, as with any high tec product there allways is a newer one just as soon as I buy. Have a 182C in the FJ40 for about 6 years and a NUVI 660 in the FJC that I bought in March, great unit. They have just introduced a new line of NUVI it's the 7XX series. Now I wish I had waited because they will plot the track, may be Christmas. Also Garmin has updated their tops maps, haven't used the yet. May be some one can give us feed back on the new topo.

#30 ·
I have a 660. I call her Emily. (Emily is the British voice option). Best optional piece of equipment hands down.

Any GPS is better than none at all. It really takes so much stress away. I use it mostly in my company van - no more spending extra time fumbling with a map.

#35 · (Edited)
The Nuvi 350 may not be ideal for topo maps, but it can use them.

I received the following form Garmin:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. The nuvi will display the
US Topo 2008 maps just fine. The only limitations are that the topo
maps do not support routing with any Garmin GPS and you can only search
for the topo POIs by name or by nearest. Also, you will not be able to
view the contour lines while in the 3D mode. Be sure to use the
MapViewer on our website to preview the data.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for
your interest in Garmin.

Regards,
Kim

US Topo 2008 (MapViewer on right) -
Garmin: MapSource - TOPO U.S. 2008

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:17 PM
To: Cartography Mailbox
Subject: topo u.s. 2008 map limitations with nuvi 350

Greetings,
I was wondering if you could tell me what limitations the nuvi 350 has
with the topo u.s. 2008 map.

Thanks,
Keith S. xxxxxx
I hope they weren't lying, because I ordered the topo for Alaska.

#32 ·
For topo ability with Garmin you need to get one of the GPSMap Models or the Etrex models.

All are incredible units. I personally run the Garmin GPSMap 478 Chatplotter/GPS (large sceen dash mount for easier viewing) and the Garmin GPSMap 60Cx (hiking, geocaching, and it has the latest SiRF technology.

#34 ·
Garmin products are the ROCK!!! I've been to Iraq twice and on more than one occasion it has saved my @$$. In 2003 I took along a older garmin legend, then last year I brought my Garmin Rhino 530 to the desert. Both allow you to connect to your computers to mess around with your waypoints and such. I've used both here in the states as well. Great products. I like the garmin so much that I chose the Kenwood DNX7100 over the other pioneer head units because the Kenwood is powered by Garmin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.