LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
ofg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Another humming noise thread

Not sure if I should worry or not. 2007 4wd automatic, full option, 87k miles. At slow speeds on a very smooth road, say 30-35 mph, I get a very very quiet humming or howling noise. I had been told by another fj driver that the roof rack makes a noise like that. I have also read that the diffs can make a noise,, and that the "bearings" can make some noise. Questions: Which bearings tend to hum or howl? Diff bearings?? wheel beasrings?

This car is fairly quiet except for exhaust burble when driving so its hard to catch the sound, as it only happens when there is no road noise to cover it up, like on a very smooth road. Its such a slight sound that I could not capture it with a phone recording, and when I mention it, my passengers think im crazy as they cant hear it.

Unfortunately, I have very sensitive hearing, and can distinguish slight and far off sounds.

I cant make out if its wind noise, tire howl, bearing noise, diff noise, Air leaking into the cabin from a window seal? It does seem to go away when i turn the steering at said speed, then returns when traveling straight.

It really only happens on a couple of local roads that are smooth and slow. On normal crappy roads with bad grooves, repair seams, bumps, chip seal texture,, its not noticeable. With other traffic around, its too quiet to hear. Only at moments of slow quiet zen, when car road and driver are 1 does this ever so slight howl hum make itself known!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:32 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Another humming noise thread

I recently had a humming noise that would become noticeable at about 35 MPH and up mostly on straight roads, and I could feel it somewhat through the pedal as well (but it was not a vibration like a wheel out of balance, etc,but more of a hum you could also feel). It would change sound a bit when the steering wheel was moved, etc. I like you described it as a humming or howling.

Turned out to be both front wheel bearings. Front driver side had play and noise, front passenger side had noise. Had them both replaced along with the front hubs.

It actually became noticeable rather quickly (not a lot of lead up to it that I noticed) when we hit colder temps.

Mine is a 2007, with 112k on it.

If you search wheel bearing on the forum you will find a bunch of info.

2007 Titanium FJ Cruiser
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
ofg

(Thread Starter)

The front and rear diffs were recently serviced and when asked about any metal shavings in fluid, the tech said none to worry about. Usually when they think an additional service can be charged, they will mention something. So, I will then concentrate on wheel bearings, and the possibility of wind noise. Sound seems like its coming from back end. Its my right ear that picks up the noise, so could be right rear, right front,,, or ??? its very faint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

Could even just need a tire rotation....make sure wheels are torqued evenly and properly, ect. It is likely nothing to immediately worry about, even if it is a wheel bearing.

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had posted asking about this exact issue, and I changed the rear bearings. The noise isn't as bad but it's still noticeable. I guess I might have to change the bearings in the front.. Does your fj have a bumper or anything w/ weight in the front?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
ofg

(Thread Starter)
Pretty sure this ended up being wind noise from roof rack. I recently moved the cross bArs around to make room for a kayak. The tone of the mystery noise changed noticeably. Then after wrapping 2 of the cross bars in foam, the sound changed again. So, crisis averted.
WebSnyper likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in