Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Re: Trying to get Demello Rock Sliders mounted

Quote:
Boabrother4 previously said: View Post
Youre probably going to want to run a metric tap (m8 x 1.25 I think) through the 16 mounting holes in the frame before installing those.
Good tip, picked one up!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Boabrother4 likes this.

Owner of 2013 FJ Iceberg - Stoked!

PNW based avid yet mediocre Adventurer and Photographer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
RocketRob previously said: View Post
Yes, sorry. let the chemical spray do its work - overnight. Heat can help but not advisable here since the rubber hose. Can you angle the clip a bit up leaving it in the same hole? That might give you enough to ride the hose/line upward to just miss the gusset on the bracket. If it is still against the gusset, you could pad it w/ some rubber hose split and put over the edge of the bracket secured with some black silicone.
Okay so I let the spray sit and tried again with a wrench and socket wrench but it won't budge. I liberally applied the spray and have tried a more times but no success. Not good

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

As a final option try more penetrating oil and tapping the bolt head. If it is still stubborn you may consider calling in some local reinforcements - Air Strike! Is there a shop nearby that could help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
RocketRob previously said: View Post
As a final option try more penetrating oil and tapping the bolt head. If it is still stubborn you may consider calling in some local reinforcements - Air Strike! Is there a shop nearby that could help?
Yeah we tried a good amount of the Spray stuff and tapping it a bit. My handy friend said he thinks we should try an impact wrench. Maybe home depot rents them? Would it help?

But yeah might have to call in the air strikes! I'll also look into local shops..

Thanks for all the tips!

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

PB Blaster is kinda meh.... we use Kroil for the real stubborn **** here at the shop, works much better.
FJFool, Boabrother4 and AUStriker like this.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:49 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

@AUStriker , if after using the penetrating oil, you're still having trouble with those bolts, you might try a bolt-grip extractor set like this one. I've had great luck with these. Just make sure whatever set you buy includes sizes you'll need.

Also, these extractors will chew up your bolt head, so you'll need a replacement bolt.

óMIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack

Last edited by FJFool; 04-26-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJFool previously said: View Post
@AUStriker , if after using the penetrating oil, you're still having trouble with those bolts, you might try a bolt-grip extractor set like this one. I've had great luck with these. Just make sure whatever set you buy includes sizes you'll need.

Also, these extractors will chew up your bolt head, so you'll need a replacement bolt.
Good to know, one of my friends has an impact wrench so I'm going to try that next.

If not, I'll try the extractor set. Thanks!

FJFool likes this.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

So I've got a Milwaukee Impact Driver with a max torque of 1,000 lbs but the bolt still won't budge. Perhaps it's because the driver won't sit perfectly flush against the bolt head because of the plastic lip underneath the doors.

Guess I gotta find a shop to do some thing although I have no idea what they could try.

These suckers won't budge!

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage

Dang, I might be here too late.

I'd caution against using impact tools on bolts in the threaded frame holes. They're actually un-threaded holes in the frame with a nut welded on the backside, inside the frame. At least twice on my FJ, seized bolts in those holes resulted in the nuts breaking loose inside the frame while still seized to the bolt... and now you have a bolt that can spin but you can't un-screw! One of them I managed to grab with pliers and unscrew, the other I had to take to a shop to get cut off. My "small" impact driver didn't make a difference, and my "I wasn't asking" impact driver broke the nut off.

I'd vote definitely patience, penetrating oil, and no impact tools! Go for the extractor as last-resort, not impact. Also, if you don't already have some anti-seize coating, order or buy some now and put it on all the bolts that you put into the frame so you won't have to worry about this next time!

You could either try an extension with a bigger impact driver (to get a good seat on the head), and if that fails (or if it breaks the captive nut off the frame), a shop can melt or drill out the stuck bolt.

Last edited by 101Firedog; 05-01-2019 at 07:38 PM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
101Firedog previously said: View Post
Dang, I might be here too late.

I'd caution against using impact tools on bolts in the threaded frame holes. They're actually un-threaded holes in the frame with a nut welded on the backside, inside the frame. At least twice on my FJ, seized bolts in those holes resulted in the nuts breaking loose inside the frame while still seized to the bolt... and now you have a bolt that can spin but you can't un-screw! One of them I managed to grab with pliers and unscrew, the other I had to take to a shop to get cut off. My "small" impact driver didn't make a difference, and my "I wasn't asking" impact driver broke the nut off.

I'd vote definitely patience, penetrating oil, and no impact tools! Go for the extractor as last-resort, not impact. Also, if you don't already have some anti-seize coating, order or buy some now and put it on all the bolts that you put into the frame so you won't have to worry about this next time!

You could either try an extension with a bigger impact driver (to get a good seat on the head), and if that fails (or if it breaks the captive nut off the frame), a shop can melt or drill out the stuck bolt.
Thanks for chiming in!

Appreciate the insight! I just tried the impact wrench earlier but it didn't work to get the bolts out.

I've tried spraying several seconds of Blaster oil at least 5 times, with it sitting overnight on 2 different occasions. Using a hand wrench doesn't seem to make any progress at all even after the spray. But is that the only way??

So if I end up getting the bolt off, won't the nut in the backside fall off in the frame and I can't get to it there?

EDIT: yes I've definitely got some anti-seize stuff for the new bolts

Last edited by AUStriker; 05-02-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in