LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Odd Start Issue

Hello everyone,

I hope this in the right board, I'm new to this forum.

I have an '08 Base and this morning I attempted to start it. When I turned the key, the engine did not even turn over. With the key in "RUN", I noticed a loudish buzzing emanating from the engine bay.

I took a look under the hood to investigate, thinking it was either an alternator or starter issue given the other symptoms. The sound seems to be originating from around the starter.

What was also odd was while the key was in "RUN", the "MAINT REQD" light and Odometer screen were flashing, and my gauge needles were shaking. This later resulted in a buzzing, of increasing intensity, coming from behind the dash.

I cannot lock the car either. On the press of the lock button, the locks cycle but do not engage. There is no beep on lock but there is a partial beep on unlock press that gets cut off halfway through.

It's worth noting that I replaced the starter with an aftermarket starter back on June 16. This may be a factor.

Has any of this happened to anyone else? If so, what was your solution?

Sounds and issues outlined here:

https://imgur.com/a/Uy3VgJf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Re: Odd Start Issue

Iíd check my battery and battery connections for a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WebSnyper likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Sparky of SoCal previously said: View Post
I’d check my battery and battery connections for a start.

I checked the connections first, they were fine. I didn't have a multimeter with me at the time so I couldn't test the voltage.

I'll disconnect the battery then check the voltage after reconnecting them when I get the chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:53 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

Turn the key on, turn the radio on, turn the fan on high, then turn the lights on. What happens? I think your going to find that they drop out because the battery is not right. Is it not fully charged because the battery is shot or the alternator isnít doing itís job.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Sparky of SoCal previously said: View Post
Turn the key on, turn the radio on, turn the fan on high, then turn the lights on. What happens? I think your going to find that they drop out because the battery is not right. Is it not fully charged because the battery is shot or the alternator isn’t doing it’s job.

I'll try charging my battery. I just replaced the battery late last year so it's less than a year old. I would hope it's not already dead.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:34 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Battery for sure
Winterpeg likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to dodgebrotherjim Send a message via Yahoo to dodgebrotherjim

Generally it sounds like the battery is down. What happens when you jump start it from another car? If it starts when Jumped the put a volt meter across the battery terminals while it is running, if the altinator is working the battery voltage should be between 13.7 and 14.7 volts. this would indicate a good altinator, and the battery is suspect. have it capacity tested, especialy if it is more than 5 years old. Hopefully someone punched in the date code when it was installed. If the voltage is lower like 11 or 12 volts the altinator is suspect. The lights and guages acting funny culd be the result of low battery output as well. What happens when you turn on the headlights? The bussing or clicking noise in the dash bord is probably a relay trying to close on low voltage. To sum it up, could be bad battery, could be the altinator, or it could be as simple as something got left on and it ran the battery down over night.

Jim in CT
dodgebrotherjim
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)

Your battery voltage is too low to crank the starter, or to even keep the starter solenoid engaged.

The "chattering" sound from the starter is actually from the solenoid. When you turn the key to the START position, the solenoid pulls in and applies power to the starter motor. When the battery state of charge is extremely low, as soon as the solenoid closes and applies power to the starter, the battery voltage drops so low that the solenoid "drops out", and disconnects power from the starter. As soon as the load from the starter is removed, the battery voltage rises slightly, and the solenoid pulls in again. This process repeats several times a second, causing the "chattering" sound.

So, you have low battery voltage AT THE STARTER. There could be multiple causes:
a) Defective battery (low electrolyte, dead cell, high resistance in internal cell-to-cell connections, etc.)
b) High-resistance in the battery B+ connections
c) High resistance in the battery ground connections
d) Defect in the alternator output wiring
e) Opened ALT fuse
f) Failed alternator (usually worn brushes, but this will usually be seen as low voltage at idle speed, or a flickering BATT warning light)
g) High resistance in the starter wiring
h) Short circuit in the starter itself
Uncharted likes this.

Last edited by FJtest; 07-29-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in