Do I need anything more than self etching primer to paint over powder coating? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Misc. Technical Discussion For all technical info that doesn't have a category

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Do I need anything more than self etching primer to paint over powder coating?

Hi,

I purchased some skid plates that have black powder coating. I'd like to paint them a different color.

I was going to spray self etching primer directly onto the powder coated surface and then paint with rust-oleum spray paint. Would that work? Or, do I need to sand with 180 grit sandpaper?

I hate sanding so trying to avoid it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:37 AM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 2655 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Do I need anything more than self etching primer to paint over powder coating?

SAND, then sand some more.

2011 NSSE

トヨタ
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Re: Do I need anything more than self etching primer to paint over powder coating?

No, the self-etching primer ONLY works on bare metal. The chemical "etching" component will have absolutely zero effect on cured powdercoat paint, which is actually plastic powder that had been sprayed on the part, then heated to melt it and "cure" it.

You will not be successful is getting ANY paint to adhere well to a powdercoated surface; think about the level of success you'd have painting a teflon-coated frying pan.

A very thorough and uniform sanding will help a tiny bit, and a thorough overall sandblasting would be a tiny bit better, but you'll never get adhesion as good as stripping down to bare metal by sandblasting, priming, and then applying multiple coats of wet paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Screw sanding, that will literally take you forever, burn it off or find someone willing to chemically remove it with B17 or something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

08 Iceberg TTSE 169k and counting
6112 / 5160 / SAW 2" / JBA UCA's
Nitto G2
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responses.
How about plasti-dip, or some other coating paint? Would that work?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:42 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 2216 Post(s)
Garage

Even if you got plasti dip to stick, which “might” be possible, anthing on the trail like rocks and sticks will readily rip into dip. It’s nor very tough. Since the only part of most skid plates that shows is the front part of the engine plate you might consider power sanding just that portion and go to town with lots of paint. The rest being black won’t really show - or matter. Sandblasting off powdercoat is a huge mega pain in the a$$ - I sandblasted the powdercoat off my front bumper and it took me 2 days. Will never ever use powdercoat on anything that is subject to scratching. Ok rant over

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:46 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2667 Post(s)
Garage

I sprayed over my powdercoated bumper. All I did was scrap/grind off some of the flaking powdercoating, and spray it with black spraypaint. I've had zero issues with it and touch it up every once in a while after I scrape it off on rocks etc...
debFJVT likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:50 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 2216 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
I sprayed over my powdercoated bumper. All I did was scrap/grind off some of the flaking powdercoating, and spray it with black spraypaint. I've had zero issues with it and touch it up every once in a while after I scrape it off on rocks etc...
That right there is yet another difference between the salted NE and central/western states
Hannibal and Iconic_ like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)

Overall success in getting wet paint to adhere to powdercoat is dependent on cleanliness, surface "tooth", and the type of powdercoat paint: epoxy, polyester, or some hybrid powder system. Polyester is hard to bond to, epoxy is a little better, especially if you can give it a light sandblast to get a matte surface.
debFJVT likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
SAND, then sand some more.
I've rattle canned over powercoating many times. You need to sand with like a 400 grit paper to give the paint something to grip to, I usually use a DA sander to make it easy. Then use a wax and grease remover to clean the surface well before painting. Primer isn't necessary, but I always do a clear coat so it lasts longer.

Last edited by PhoS; 09-25-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in