What else can we do in Ouray during the FJ Summit? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
National Summit Discussion Open forum for discussing the upcoming National Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Re: Uninterested & Less-Excited Spouses - Please Check In Here [RE: Ouray & FJ Summit

subscribed... to get ideas for our 1st FJ Summit! Bev is already searching B&Bs over the KOA. Looking forward to sharing some good ideas from past attendees for the week away from the Texas heat! Thanks for starting the thread!!

2012 TT -- Gig'em Aggies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Uninterested & Less-Excited Spouses - Please Check In Here [RE: Ouray & FJ Summit]

Quote:
tgormtx previously said: View Post
You look like you're about to drop a brick, fall to your knees, and start balling.

I really hope you meant "bawling!" You did, right...??!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 FJ Sun Fusion
My other "car" is a Gold Wing!

And my fiancÚ calls them my 'idols!' She's just jealous...
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Re: Uninterested & Less-Excited Spouses - Please Check In Here [RE: Ouray & FJ Summit

Quote:
Vegas_Nick previously said: View Post
An alternative point of view covered in my "lessons learned" thread.

Our first trip to Ouray was much different than the outdoors mecca you described. Honestly, I'll have to work hard to convince my wife that we ever want to come back. After being yelled at all day long for holding up the trail run from stopping to get photos of flowers, mining ruins, etc. I had one ticked off little lady in my rig. That coupled with the exorbitant prices on the hotel and gas kind of left me thinking that a trip there during a "non-event" would be better.

We have many of our own slices of heaven within 200 miles of Vegas, so convince me to come to Ouray.
Man, I'm really sorry to hear about how you were treated poorly on the trail run. That's a bummer.

non-event times to go to Ouray? = there aren't many during the summer.

prices = unfortunately, that's part of going to a little tourist town like this. I can totally understand your point there though.

convince you? = Not trying to do that with this thread at all. It's only meant to act as an aid for people that want to come, but have a reluctant spouse/partner/travel mate or whatever. Just trying to give people a broader perspective of what 'a trip to Ouray' could mean for them than what is afforded by simply thinking of it as an off-roading event.

Again, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your time in Ouray. Hoepfully, if you do ever get out this way again, we'll hook up and I'll buy you a beer. Till then, take care, and hope your travels (where they may take you) are enjoyable and more memorable in happier ways.

Quote:
willinno previously said: View Post
I think the topic is things to do in Ouray other than trail ride which may be of interest to your spouse...
Generally, perhaps that's the idea.

Quote:
willinno previously said: View Post
...I agree that there are lots of nice things in Ouray. It's really a charming little town (Switzerland of America?). But if you and your spouse want to enjoy the town together, Vegas Nick may have the idea. Come at some time other than Summit. The town is packed, literally, at Summit. For a more leisurely experience, some other time is probably better. Personally, I enjoyed the large crowd, but I only had to cater to myself.
^^^^ valid point of view, indeed. It's just that my wife and I like the place so much that I'd never consider skipping out on our annual pilgrimage just because it's busy or whatever. Sure there are people there....for the same reason we are. Still, I know what you mean.

However, this thread is not a thread about 'How to have a nice, relaxing time in Ouray all by yourself'.

It's about people that want to go to the FJ Summit and hang out with a bunch of other FJ Cruiser owners and enthusiasts, but need a little help showing their partner some more about the place to help encourage them to 'go for it'.

Quote:
TxAggie previously said: View Post
subscribed... to get ideas for our 1st FJ Summit! Bev is already searching B&Bs over the KOA. Looking forward to sharing some good ideas from past attendees for the week away from the Texas heat! Thanks for starting the thread!!
You're very welcome
One of the B&Bs that we've stayed at is on the south end of town on Main Street, and pretty close to Summit HQ. It's the 'Christmas House' B&B. If you're into that sort of thing (I can see how it would be a big turn-off to some...it didn't bother me, but I know my folks would go nuts over that kind of place), it's really neat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar
Re: Uninterested & Less-Excited Spouses - Please Check In Here [RE: Ouray & FJ Summit

Definitely a good idea thread. If I were going I'd be paying dire attention.

Went to a North Carolina meet and eat the other weekend. Told my wife we could hit the outlet mall on the way . Cost us an extra $400 or so essentially.

Careful planning is a good idea!

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Registered for our 1st Summit and got a cabin in town.... now I need some experienced talk here for (or from) the wives. I don't think the $20 woman's T-shirt that I pre-ordered at registraction will be enough for a happy face the entire week!

Anybody thinking of a "Wheeling and Wine" activity that I read about earlier at another gathering (WTF in Texas maybe)?

2012 TT -- Gig'em Aggies
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)

I haven't registered yet and may miss the window yet again do to my company not being able to forecast my work out that far. That being said Mrs OC falls into the "scared to death, want to crawl into the fetal position" on any off roading. I've tried to show her on the views seen by many photos. That seems to look less scary and more like fun.

The other issue is camping. She was forced to camp her whole upbringing since her parents purchased a plot of land and decided to "improve" it. She is done with porta potties and tents. I'll see if she is interested, otherwise a long lonely journey from Houston. Maybe Ill promise a spa day in there...

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"... SOLD to Colin
The Build-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

The GTR Build- Meet Zim---> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-meet-zim.html

Last edited by Old Cruiser; 03-04-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Galaxy phones are any thing but smart
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)

How about a thread for those that don't want to do the trails. Get a couple of groups together to go to Telluride for shopping . Or to go tour the mines, or even get a early start to drive a few to Durango to ride the train. The hot springs to get pampered a bit?
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

While the wife was originally excited about the Summit when we started talking about it last year, we have since been offered a stay with friends in Seattle. I initially thought the Summit trip would get pushed back. After I suggested giving up a trail day for a trip to Telluride or somewhere else, we were back in business. I figure it is her vacation too. I'm more interested in the trip and the sights anyway. If momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy...
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 60 Post(s)

I volunteer to host a Passion Party.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

"Sometimes you are actually restricted by what you know. It narrows your vision and doesn't challenge you to find different ways."

-Wikid

"I'm unique... Just like everyone else!"

-Big Turtle
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Mine is coming with. As stated above, she was excited at first, now...who knows. I have offered to take a friend with me, but swears she wants to go. I'm hoping she makes friends there, and maybe finds something else to do one day. Her gifts are shopping and day drinking...lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

mods, mods, MORE mods...blah blah blah. The list is too long...it was getting irritating

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in