What else can we do in Ouray during the FJ Summit? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
National Summit Discussion Open forum for discussing the upcoming National Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up What else can we do in Ouray during the FJ Summit?

For my thoughts on this, and why I started this thread in the first place, please see the second post in this thread, below.

My List
* Hot Springs, etc - there's the city-owned Ouray Hot Springs Pool (a must-visit place for anyone desiring a relaxing escape and/or some healing time off-the-grid), and some of the local motels and bed and breakfast establishments have hot springs and/or vapor caves on-premises
* Parks - various spots for picnics, playing games, etc, including at least one park with a pretty good-sized playground set for kids
* Shops - lots and lots of shops to check out, including candy stores, a rock/fossil shop, jewelry, clothing, books, art, kitchen, crafts, and a glass place where you can stand and watch the glass blower at work as he explains the process, sporting goods, liquor stores,
* Food - a different neato restaurant or cafe or bistro (and even an authentic Bavarian Bier Garten) to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and/or snacks, drinks, tapas etc every day; including pizza, steak, Mexican, Italian, German, Irish, and good-ol American goodies
* Waterfalls - Lower Cascade Falls on the northeast side of town (that's an easy, 5 minute walk, or Upper Cascade Falls which is a 2-3 mile hike), Box Canyon Falls on the southwest side of town
* Scenic overlooks - two different overlooks that you can drive or walk to,
* Local Hikes - at least a handful of great, short-ish hikes from trailheads right in town
* Geological features - the 'baby bathtubs' on the southest side of town, fossils on a short walk from a trailhead overlooking FJ Summit headquarters
* Mines, Movies and History - a mine tour a couple miles north of town, a movie about the San Juan mountains at a theater right downtown, the Ouray County Historical Museum right there in beautiful downtown Ouray
* Exercise - Beyond all of the great trails for hiking and biking, the Ouray Hot Springs Pool facility also contains an entire workout room with some of the amenities you'd expect from any old place back in a big city
* Massage, chiropractic help, yoga classes - yep, it's all there
* White-water Rafting, Horseback Riding - there are multiple outfitters, guide-services and other

...and on and on (I know I'm leaving out all kinds of stuff)

Also,
Visit OurayColorado.com to order a copy of their Visitor Guide (or just click here to see the online version). NOTE: See page 38 for a photo of what not to do with your vehicle while in the Ouray area. lol

* Health and Safety - Just in case you wonder about the capabilities of such a small town, there is the Ouray County Sheriff, the Ouray Police, the Ouray fire department, the Ouray County EMS and the Ouray Mountain Rescue Team. Just beyond Ouray, there are hospitals in both Montrose and Durango.

p.s. I will add to this list as I glean nuggets from the conversation in this thread...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Catalyst

(Thread Starter)
Post Re: Uninterested & Less-Excited Spouses - Please Check In Here [RE: Ouray & FJ Summit

My Thoughts: (and reasoning for creating this thread)
In the 'sport' of off-roading, in general, there are many different levels of interest. Some people are really, really into it, while their spouse may not be, and may either only go out with them occasionally, or perhaps never do at all, because they have no interest in it whatsoever.

With so many different people with all kinds of interests in life, this makes total sense. Everyone has things that they are 'into', and it doesn't mean one interest is 'better' than another or anything like that at all.

In a lot of cases, it might even make sense that people have completely different interests and spend time away from each other once in a while as they step out to get involved with whatever it is that they are into.

Being 'into' off-roading as I am, I know I'm biased, and my opinion may not count for much, but for those that aren't really into the whole off-roading thing at all (or at least not into it like their spouse or partner or friend or whoever), please understand, my primary interest in going to the FJ Summit in the first place was NOT necessarily the off-roading part, but rather, the PLACE where the event takes place (and now, it's the people we get to hang out with as well).

That's right. Long before we ever got an FJ Cruiser, and many years before they ever even started having the FJ Summit, my wife and I have been going to Ouray for vacation every summer for a week in July.

Actually, it all started one time when we were going on a planned 'loop trip' around Colorado. Ouray just so happened to be 'along the way' as we were headed south between Grand Junction and Durango. Once we got there (just a potty stop on the way south), we were so touched by the charm of this little town as well as the extreme beauty of the surrounding area that we decided to change it up a bit, by stopping early for the day and stay there over-night, instead of where we originally planned on staying further south.

When we got up the next day, it was amazing! We hated to leave, but we already had the rest of the trip planned, and decided to go ahead and get on the road. As it turned out, it was the last time that Ouray would ever be, for us, 'a stop along the way', and has, at least once every year since, become a prime destination.

We still like to do longer road-trips and see other things around the state, but Ouray has definitely been 'our spot' for a long time now. Even if we didn't even own a vehicle anymore, and had to take a bus or taxicab to Ouray, we'd still go there every year, just to be immersed in the beauty for a while, if nothing else.

There are enough places to go hiking from trailheads right in town that we'd never hike the same trail even if we chose a different trail every day while there for a couple weeks. Beyond that, once you drive even a couple miles out of town, you've already passed so many more trails that you'd be set up for another month.

Oh, and if you're not into that kind of thing either, there are lots and lots of other things to do right there in town...

Add-On Activities for Down-Time?
If you're wondering what else there is to do in Ouray during the FJ Summit, please consider the growing list in the OP...

TESTIMONIALS?
If you're not at all into the sport/hobby of off-roading, and have already been here for the FJ Summit in the past, please chime in and tell us what you liked about being here, and what those that haven't been here yet have to look forward to.

Looking for Alternative-Activities?
If you're not at all into the sport/hobby of off-roading, but are open to considering the possibility of going to an event like the FJ Summit (maybe because your 'significant other' really wants to go), please consider my thoughts below and chime in here in this thread to let us know your thoughts.

In years past, there have been a few conversations here and there leading up to the FJ Summit where people planned on getting together at the event to do other things while the others are out on the trail runs. If that sounds interesting to you, and you're into the idea of meeting up with others (perhaps less-interested spouses) for some shopping, or a spa day, or whatever, please chime in here. Ya never know what you might be able to come up with before you even get to town.

All that just to say, even if you aren't into off-roading at all, please don't let that aspect of this kind of event keep you from coming to this crazy-beautiful place.

To make sure that I'm not leaving out perhaps the most important point of this event, I should mention the vast array of great people from all over the country (and beyond); meeting other people for the first time and making new friends (some that last a lifetime), meeting back up with those that we've met before, and even those that traveled from the same region getting the chance to spend some good, quality time with each other in Paradise. It really is an unmatched event.

If you're not 'into' anything I've mentioned above, that's fine. I'm not going to argue with you or try to talk you into coming here. I just want to make sure you know more of what this place and this group of people have to offer.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar
Re: Uninterested & Less-Excited Spouses - Please Check In Here [RE: Ouray & FJ Summit

word. pun intended

This is easy. Let them drive.

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Uninterested & Less-Excited Spouses - Please Check In Here [RE: Ouray & FJ Summit

Quote:
iwashmycar previously said: View Post
This is easy. Let them drive.
Ummm...

Tom | Owner, RedDirtOffroad.com | Rock Walker Build | Lone Star Toyota Jamboree Director | Toyota Trail Riders President
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

Quote:
tgormtx previously said: View Post
Ummm...

I'm not saying it is enjoyable to do so...

That is me standing in the background having a heart attack

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
iwashmycar previously said: View Post
I'm not saying it is enjoyable to do so...

That is me standing in the background having a heart attack

You look like you're about to drop a brick, fall to your knees, and start balling.

Tom | Owner, RedDirtOffroad.com | Rock Walker Build | Lone Star Toyota Jamboree Director | Toyota Trail Riders President
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Catalyst

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Re: Uninterested & Less-Excited Spouses - Please Check In Here [RE: Ouray & FJ Summit

Thanks, mikey
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)

An alternative point of view covered in my "lessons learned" thread.

Our first trip to Ouray was much different than the outdoors mecca you described. Honestly, I'll have to work hard to convince my wife that we ever want to come back. After being yelled at all day long for holding up the trail run from stopping to get photos of flowers, mining ruins, etc. I had one ticked off little lady in my rig. That coupled with the exorbitant prices on the hotel and gas kind of left me thinking that a trip there during a "non-event" would be better.

We have many of our own slices of heaven within 200 miles of Vegas, so convince me to come to Ouray.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Keep it on topic please.

Thank-you.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)

I think the topic is things to do in Ouray other than trail ride which may be of interest to your spouse. I agree that there are lots of nice things in Ouray. It's really a charming little town (Switzerland of America?). But if you and your spouse want to enjoy the town together, Vegas Nick may have the idea. Come at some time other than Summit. The town is packed, literally, at Summit. For a more leisurely experience, some other time is probably better. Personally, I enjoyed the large crowd, but I only had to cater to myself.

Black 2010 w/ Offroad & Convenience Packages. TLCA # 21403. Louisiana Land Krewesers. Thanks to Friends for Help!

Icon. Light Racing. All-Pro. Goodyear MT/R. XD-125. BajaRack. Springtail M-PAC. Body Armor. Expedition One. Rugged Ridge. BudBuilt. Richochet. Toy Outfitters. PIAA. Flowmaster. TRD. Demello. Rigid. FourTreks.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in