2015 ???!!! Summit??? - Page 8 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
National Summit Discussion Open forum for discussing the upcoming National Summit

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Garage
Re: 2015 ???!!! Summit???

Quote:
FJ Moose previously said: View Post
You're going to LOVE it !!!!
Reservations made at the Chalet, couldn't get 15th though. I guess try and get arrested so can have a hot n cot the night before.
FJ Moose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
fabricgator previously said: View Post
Reservations made at the Chalet, couldn't get 15th though. I guess try and get arrested so can have a hot n cot the night before.
If you're fine with camping for just that first night, I could PM you a few good (free) camping spots that are very close to town.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #73 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
I'll drive up from South of you, I drive slow though. I set the cruise control at 60 and just let it eat highway. Surprisingly, tortoise and hare, I make about the same time as I don't have to stop for fuel as often. I have gotten as good MPG as over 24 mpg. Although I suspect that may have been downhill with a tailwind.

I don't know if I can do the 60MPH thing, I think I'd go crazy. We are also trying to see what we can hit on the way out there to break up the drive. Looks like it's going to be 30 hours. If we make stops on the way we'll take 3 days to get out there. If we don't we're going to be trying to get out there in 2 days. That will give us another 2 days of wheeling, be it in Moab or Monument Valley or the Grand Canyon because we're hitting all of those during the trip. We have to see when the Moab group is meeting before the Summit. I also have to see if they are camping out there or staying at a hotel somewhere near Moab. My SO has never camped so I'm trying to make this road trip as comfortable for her as possible.

https://scontent-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/t31.0-8/11251771_10153259218184494_3744150188675797328_o.j  pg
2008 FJ Cruiser, ARB // Warn // Smittybilt // Lightforce // Rigid // AllPro // XD // Toyo // Old Man Emu // Pioneer // Cobra // Springtail // RCI // Baja Rack // GZillaDesigns // Maxtrax //Trasharoo // BetterBuilt // Dometic // Orangeboxx
INSTAGRAM: Jade_Overland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 03:41 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
If you're fine with camping for just that first night, I could PM you a few good (free) camping spots that are very close to town.
Hey Jimmy, Yeah that would be great!. We are rough and tumble folks. I hope to have a sleeping system setup for the back of the cargo area. It will probably be full of luggage, mementos, and empty soda cans though.

Additionally, I would like to include something like Moab for the period before the summit. Like it was suggested, we are traveling quite some distance, so we should make the most of our mileage investment. We want to do, have and see it all.

I'm going to have to get serious over the next few months and plan at very least, a minimum of performance (suspension) upgrades to allow us to participate on as many trail runs as possible. Although I do consider myself a beginner, as I have lived most of my life at sea level, I am adventurous and live by the mantra that if another man (and machine) can do it, I can too.
post #75 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Prerunner221 previously said: View Post
We have to see when the Moab group is meeting before the Summit. I also have to see if they are camping out there or staying at a hotel somewhere near Moab. My SO has never camped so I'm trying to make this road trip as comfortable for her as possible.
Quote:

Additionally, I would like to include something like Moab for the period before the summit.
As it has become an annual pilgrimage for some of us, you can plan on there being someone to wheel with in Moab during the Sat, Sun, Mon and Tues before the FJ Summit. There will be a separate thread on this later.

We normally run the easier (scenic) to mid-level runs and don't push it on the difficult runs because nobody wants to fix broken rigs in the heat or miss the FJ Summit because of a breakdown. In regards to heat, it isn't as bad as you might expect (IMO). There are plenty of camping areas in and near town and many offer low cost cabins if you don't want to mess with the tent.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #76 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Booked Box Canyon Lodge. We enjoyed it this year and it is right next to ground zero.

WASP in Republic of Texas
2008 Sun Fusion
4x4 6-MT
Supercharged
post #77 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Garage

@ my 1st Meet and Great here in cincy, I heard Woodsman, Weavin' FJ and others talk about the Summit (Summit 7) - Thought about going to the next one - work got in the way - so heard about it again and add to it, Moose's adventure, I'm in for Summit #9
Work be damned - Hotel Reservations made.
Woodsman and FJ Moose like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in