Equipping your FJ for first-time Summit attendees. - Page 9 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
National Summit Discussion Open forum for discussing the upcoming National Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Equipping your FJ for first-time Summit attendees.

Quote:
sdlsatcom previously said: View Post
lol yea i'm a big fan of high gravity, people think i'm a light weight when i say i was smashed off two beers, they should try drinking with me sometime...

did beer make it on the list?
Get over it... You're still a light weight...

But maybe you should talk to LandCruiserSteve about where beer goes on the list...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Ron
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
bone3412 previously said: View Post
.... Oh and for something like Summit whats your thoughts on bringin a dog along? Mine loves to ride in the back and all but I wasnt sure if thats cool or a no no
Quote:
gericurl76 previously said: View Post
X2 on the dog question...
Make sure pets are allowed where you are lodging! As for the National Forest...General rules for national forests and grasslands ... pets are generally OK (leash often required). But, it's up to you to make sure they're allowed where your're going.

Since some folk have fur/dander allergies, I think it's respectful to always keep pets on a leash, so that these folk can avoid unwanted contact.

We don't have pets... but we do have young children... and the "general public" reacts about the same to both children and pets. So long as they're well-behaved... few object.

Ron
KZ5RON

2007 MT6
post #83 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Can someone recommend a good vendor for the D-shackles, tow-hitch D-shackle piece and the snap strap? I'd like to order everything from one source if possible.

Also... Am I crazy, or did I see a FRONT D-shackle system for the stock bumper, or is that only an option of you go the full-bore bumper replacement route? I don't suspect I'll be doing enough off-roading to warrant a full-blown steel bumper w/ winch, but I like the "tough" look of the shackles up front.

Thanks! Hopefully I can find time to go to CO in July!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
The Laughing Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
5280FJ previously said: View Post
But maybe you should talk to LandCruiserSteve about where beer goes on the list...
Definitely, back at the camp site/motel (after the trail run).

Steve Bolander

'07 FJ Cruiser

TLCA #6727 / UFWDA
post #85 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
The Laughing Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ImagoX previously said: View Post
Am I crazy, or did I see a FRONT D-shackle system for the stock bumper, or is that only an option of you go the full-bore bumper replacement route?
Not attached to the OEM bumper. (You must've seen an aftermarket bumper or someone who hung some D-shackles from the front tow hooks.)

Or perhaps, the Lucrum winch mount . . . .

Steve Bolander

'07 FJ Cruiser

TLCA #6727 / UFWDA
post #86 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Forum Regular

OK then... that's fine. I definitely want t do the trailer hitch ring though and it just seems like a good idea to have the other D-rings and snap strap on-hand. I see the individual D-shackles all over but not anyplace that has the tow receiver one, and some seem more decorative than functional, so I want to be sure I'm getting one that will actually bear weight if I need to use it. Can someone suggest a source? I'm new to offroad vehicles, sorry...

Thanks!
post #87 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
5280FJ previously said: View Post
Quote:
LandCruiserSteve previously said: View Post
Definitely, back at the camp site/motel (after the trail run).
x2 And I hope this is a bullet point in your OffRoading 101 course.

Quote:
OK then... that's fine. I definitely want t do the trailer hitch ring though and it just seems like a good idea to have the other D-rings and snap strap on-hand. I see the individual D-shackles all over but not anyplace that has the tow receiver one, and some seem more decorative than functional, so I want to be sure I'm getting one that will actually bear weight if I need to use it. Can someone suggest a source? I'm new to offroad vehicles, sorry...

Thanks!
Don't know where you are. There are many reputable shops out there. Here in Denver, you really can't beat Sleeoffroad. If you see their custom work, you know you're gonna get a good D-shackle. I mean, who's gonna spend that time and energy on custom work, then give you a crappy D-shackle.
Sleeoffroad.com - Toyota SUV Off-Road Outfitters

Although someone with more manufacturing experience may be able to enlighten us. It is possible all the D-shackles in the world are made in one plant in China...
post #88 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Miss R2FJ

Quote:
KmodoD previously said: View Post
Since some folk have fur/dander allergies, I think it's respectful to always keep pets on a leash, so that these folk can avoid unwanted contact.

We don't have pets... but we do have young children... and the "general public" reacts about the same to both children and pets. So long as they're well-behaved... few object.
And on a leash!
post #89 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Forum Veteran

Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
...Also... Am I crazy, or did I see a FRONT D-shackle system for the stock bumper, or is that only an option of you go the full-bore bumper replacement route?..
I am working on a D-shackle mount attached to the bumper wings. Should be sweeeeeeet! (for removal). A suction cup mount should do it

Seriously though, if you have the mount I was told you can actually get the shackle from Lowes Hardware (according to James at Expedition).
post #90 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Forum Regular

Lifetime Supporting Member

Where I work we use Crosby shackles mostly. Working load limit should be stamped on the shackle. If the load limit is given in tons make sure you know if its metric or imperial shackle.

1 tonne (te) = 1000kg
1 ton (t) = 2000lbs

These guys also have allot of rigging gear,
Marine & Industrial Supply - Wire Rope & Rigging, Coatings, General Supplies, Testing Services

I do not know of vendors that are off road specific. I have bought gear from these guys before Toyota FJ Cruiser Equipment and Accessories at Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc

Oh man, sorry for bringing old thread back to life...I just got reading and ended up here.

2013 FJ Cruiser, Trail Teams, 4x4, AT

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in