July 14th 2015. TOTW trail. - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
National Summit Discussion Open forum for discussing the upcoming National Summit

315Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 381 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Garage
Re: July 14th 2015. TOTW trail.

Quote:
Lmmmmm previously said: View Post
Dont be afraid of Duratracs. They are an outstanding all around tire.
Based on what I have read, I would agree. Several folks in our local FJ group are running them and are extremely pleased. However, the Coopers are available in my area for about $40-50 less per tire - that kind of savings is hard to ignore, since I would be buying a full set. Absent a GY sale of some kind ("buy 3, get 4th free", etc), the Cooper is the current front-runner.

Just want to make sure I wind up with a tire that suits my needs and the type of driving I do, plus gives me the best value for my money.

Will for food!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Very interesting about this TOTW. After reading a lot about this trail and seeing that spot where people take pics of their rigs, I just am thinking I would love to get to that same spot myself. I really don't know if I can make it, but I hope I can make it. We shall see. I hope there is always a spot where if I give up, I can turn around or backup.

Well, I will be in MOAB in about a week. And plan to go and do the first half until the photo shoot spot and then make a uturn.

Wish me luck... I am all stock.

BlindWilly likes this.

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 05-17-2015 at 03:53 PM.
post #13 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Do you have lockers or any electric traction control devices? The trail isn't all that difficult in a lifted FJ. W/o skids you will need to have a spotter in many places and make sure you don't rupture anything. W/O any lift it will take a lot more rock stacking to get there unscathed. That front bumper, air dam and exhaust may look a bit different at the end of the day.

Please take pics and may the force be with you.

No problem turning around on the trail.

Last edited by Moab Junky; 06-03-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 10:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Really? You're planning on taking that Armada to the poser spot on TOTW?

Please take a lot of pics after. I would remove my bumpers, running boards, last part of the exhaust system, insurance deductible, etc...

That's gonna be a long day for some spotter
post #15 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
PetitFrereArmada previously said: View Post

Well, I will be in MOAB in about a week. And plan to go and do the first half until the photo shoot spot and then make a uturn.

Wish me luck... I am all stock.
We will wish you luck but your running boards/side steps will not make the return trip.....

Take pictures

post #16 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Moab Junky previously said: View Post
Do you have lockers or any electric traction control devices? The trail isn't all that difficult in a lifted FJ. W/o skids you will need to have a spotter in many places and make sure you don't rupture anything. W/O any lift it will take a lot more rock stacking to get there unscathed. That front bumper, air dam and exhaust may look a bit different at the end of the day.

Please take pics and may the force be with you.

No problem turning around on the trail.
Unfortunately, this humble Armada does not have any lockers nor electronic traction control devices, except the VDC is one, lol.

Well, I hope I can find a spotter to help me. Till then, I know I may be doing some rock stacking. So, I decided to try something. This MAY not work, but I don;t have anything else, but to take it with me in cae I need it. If I do not use it, it is ok, but it may just turn out to be useful to do the steps.

I bought 2 pairs of ramps. I thought it may be thinking out of the box. But hey, if it is not needed or does not work, no problem. I will give up where I think I may truly damage something on this Armada. but I am poised to park my car on the TOP OF THE WORLD.

Oh, trust me when it comes to pics. I will take some. More like tons.

BlindWilly likes this.
post #17 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
RoverGGM previously said: View Post
Really? You're planning on taking that Armada to the poser spot on TOTW?

Please take a lot of pics after. I would remove my bumpers, running boards, last part of the exhaust system, insurance deductible, etc...

That's gonna be a long day for some spotter

Yes, I am really taking my Armada on TOTW. And yes, I will take pics if I hopefully make it.

LOL, unfortunately, I will not be taking off anything. It is like undressing her and leaving her naked. She will not like that. She wants to brave this AS IS and give up where she feels it is too much pain for her to bear.

Well, I just bought something to help with the spotting. The ramps. I thing they may work. But if they are useless, no harm done. I will bring them with me on this trip as I have too much room in the Armada that I can take anything I want on this trip. If I do not use it, I bring it back. It will just be riding in the trunk.

She is READY. I take off in 3 days.

2010 Nissan Maxima SE, Houston, TX - Page 28 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 05-18-2015 at 01:56 PM.
post #18 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:46 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Bar3K previously said: View Post
We will wish you luck but your running boards/side steps will not make the return trip.....

Take pictures
Thanks for the goodluck wish.

Well, that would really hurt if I do lose my running boards/side steps. I am hoping it doesn't happen or I do not push the Armada more than it can take.

Rest assured I will have pics to share. And maybe even a video, if I finally learn how to make a video out of my gopro. I will definitely use my gopro 3+ black on this trip.

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 05-18-2015 at 01:59 PM.
post #19 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Forum Regular

Based on recommendations from 2 members on here, I bought these 2 books to help me with my choices of trails and to easily know what I can do and cannot do in my fully loaded and armored STOCK Armada with its best attributes being its stock skid plate, VDC, 4hi and 4lo.

Thanks... @tlcntx @jimmy-buffett
Sandman14, IcelineX and tlcntx like this.
post #20 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 03:28 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
PetitFrereArmada previously said: View Post
Well, that would really hurt if I do lose my running boards/side steps. I am hoping it doesn't happen or I do not push the Armada more than it can take.
Last time I'll suggest it: take them off. There's absolutely no reason to have them on. They offer zero protection, and having them on could potentially cost many thousands more in damage when you hit them -- the body mounts plus the bottoms of the doors -- than what it costs just to replace them.

Good luck
BlindWilly and Moab Junky like this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in