July 14th 2015. TOTW trail. - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
National Summit Discussion Open forum for discussing the upcoming National Summit

315Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: July 14th 2015. TOTW trail.

Quote:
PetitFrereArmada previously said: View Post
Unfortunately, this humble Armada does not have any lockers nor electronic traction control devices, except the VDC is one, lol. ]
Without traction aids, sufficient clearance and HEAVY skids I think you will turn around about 2.6 miles into the trail. I'd rent a Jeep or side by side in Moab and check it out first. By the time you air down enough to actually climb, you're going to have like 6 inches of clearance. You're going to need a winch for sure.

This reminds me of the guy trying to climb Potato Salad hill 5 years ago in a stock Denali. Before he was done, and I mean done at the very bottom of the hill, one front tire was pointing north, the other south.

Just keeping it real here. Something tells me you are not really serious about doing this trail in that rig.

EDIT: When I said the Armada wouldn't make it past the 2.6 mile mark on the trail I was measuring from the trail head, NOT Highway 128. The Armada did not make it past the 2.6 mile point I spoke of. He stopped there and said, "WTH"??? So any others thinking they will be able to take a similar rig up that trail, take heed. The ledges he used his plastic ramps on were 10 to 14 inches in height, the ledges at the 2.6 mile mark are almost 30" tall.
RoverGGM and Thorn661 like this.

Last edited by Moab Junky; 12-20-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 04:25 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6951 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, this humble Armada does not have any lockers nor electronic traction control devices, except the VDC is one, lol.

Well, I hope I can find a spotter to help me. Till then, I know I may be doing some rock stacking. So, I decided to try something. This MAY not work, but I don;t have anything else, but to take it with me in cae I need it. If I do not use it, it is ok, but it may just turn out to be useful to do the steps.

I bought 2 pairs of ramps. I thought it may be thinking out of the box. But hey, if it is not needed or does not work, no problem. I will give up where I think I may truly damage something on this Armada. but I am poised to park my car on the TOP OF THE WORLD.

Oh, trust me when it comes to pics. I will take some. More like tons.

Be really careful with those ramps. I don't remember if it was this forum or one of the others that I belong to, but there was a thread I read in the last month or so of people having problems with those ramps collapsing. The big end of them just split open and dropped the vehicle especially if it was off center a tad or on uneven ground. Wouldn't want to read about someone getting hurt out there.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #23 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Moab Junky previously said: View Post
This reminds me of the guy trying to climb Potato Salad hill 5 years ago in a stock Denali.
Have you seen the YouTube videos of the guy off-roading around Moab in a Crown Victoria? Here's the one from Hell's Revenge:

I think he left the trunk open because that's the only way that his balls would fit.
Moab Junky and BuffaloesFJ like this.

Will for food!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
Last time I'll suggest it: take them off. There's absolutely no reason to have them on. They offer zero protection, and having them on could potentially cost many thousands more in damage when you hit them -- the body mounts plus the bottoms of the doors -- than what it costs just to replace them.

Good luck
I agree. While I don't think the TOTW trail is all that difficult for an FJ (preferably lifted and with protection) I don't think taking that Armada with clearance hindering devices (front bumper, air dam and side steps) is a good idea at all. BTW, the poser spot is at the end of the loop, the half way point.

You WILL damage lots of plastic. You WILL not be happy. You WILL say "What the hell was I thinking ?"

My suggestions for that Armada: Shafer Trail, Long Canyon, Gemini Bridges
RoverGGM likes this.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #25 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
axamo previously said: View Post
Have you seen the YouTube videos of the guy off-roading around Moab in a Crown Victoria? Here's the one from Hell's Revenge:
I think he left the trunk open because that's the only way that his balls would fit.
Ha ha. Ya, that guy is a trip. I spent way too much on my rig. I think you can pick up a clean used Vic for about $800.
Thanks for sharing.
post #26 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 05:22 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Quote:
Unfortunately, this humble Armada does not have any lockers nor electronic traction control devices, except the VDC is one, lol.

Well, I hope I can find a spotter to help me. Till then, I know I may be doing some rock stacking. So, I decided to try something. This MAY not work, but I don;t have anything else, but to take it with me in cae I need it. If I do not use it, it is ok, but it may just turn out to be useful to do the steps.

I bought 2 pairs of ramps. I thought it may be thinking out of the box. But hey, if it is not needed or does not work, no problem. I will give up where I think I may truly damage something on this Armada. but I am poised to park my car on the TOP OF THE WORLD.

Oh, trust me when it comes to pics. I will take some. More like tons.

I use a set of those ramps on a flat concrete surface and they work well for the PURPOSE THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR.

Your just asking for trouble and may very well injure yourself, or even worse, someone else.
Sandman14 likes this.

WASP in Republic of Texas
2008 Sun Fusion
4x4 6-MT
Supercharged
post #27 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Any new comers going to join us on this trail run????/ Anyone, anyone??? Bueler??
jeepconvert likes this.
post #28 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 06:58 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6951 Post(s)
Garage

It's tempting to see if I can navigate that trail in the U.S.S. Tundra. Problem is with that long bugger I'd start off and hit the photo spot on the 14th with the front end and on the 15th with the rear end.......
Moab Junky likes this.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #29 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
It's tempting to see if I can navigate that trail in the U.S.S. Tundra. Problem is with that long bugger I'd start off and hit the photo spot on the 14th with the front end and on the 15th with the rear end.......
Haha...

BIGGUY BIGGUY BIGGUY!! If I chant it long enough will you join us???
post #30 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Moab Junky previously said: View Post
Any new comers going to join us on this trail run????/ Anyone, anyone??? Bueler??
Count me in.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in