Looking for Some Knowledge - Are there Similar Towns to Ouray that are Central? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
National Summit Discussion Open forum for discussing the upcoming National Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Looking for Some Knowledge - Are there Similar Towns to Ouray that are Central?

AZ is probably the best place in the nation for really hard 4wheeling.....but it's not in the realm for vehicles with full bodies.

From what I've witnessed of FJCs on our more moderate trails, I sincerely doubt that there are that many people who would be interested in the risks we take to our sheetmetal and drivetrain parts here.

Sure, there are easy trails and lots of accomodations, but unless you really like desert scrub type scenery, the really scenic trails are just too extreme in terms of vehicle difficulty.

JMO......I'm sure many AZFJCers may see it differently.

The other problem is time frame. I know the summer is popular b/c of kids being out of school.....that leaves Ouray as still the best bet as the weather is perfect then.

By contrast, Moab is too hot and is best visited in the fall or spring in terms of weather.

Sean

"I too pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice."-Defender

Building a Trail Rig (IMO): https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-rig-imo.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Looking for Some Knowledge - Are there Similar Towns to Ouray that are Central?

There will always be those that are bored with the trails or feel they are too easy or whatever. IMO, you should keep the Summit in Ouray. There are always new faces/new owners to keep the attendance up and those who feel like they need a different or more difficult experience can head another direction such as Moab, Arizona, etc.

There are many other less traveled/less touristy and more difficult trails in the Ouray area if you look in your Colorado guidebooks. Those looking for something different can always check some of those out as well.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
There will always be those that are bored with the trails or feel they are too easy or whatever. IMO, you should keep the Summit in Ouray. There are always new faces/new owners to keep the attendance up and those who feel like they need a different or more difficult experience can head another direction such as Moab, Arizona, etc.

There are many other less traveled/less touristy and more difficult trails in the Ouray area if you look in your Colorado guidebooks. Those looking for something different can always check some of those out as well.

I respectfully beg to differ on the Ouray area having anything even remotely difficult. If there's a more difficult trail there than Poughkeepsie....please fill me in as I'd love to do it......I just haven't even seen any obstacle that is very difficult in the area including Poughkeepsie's "wall" or the hill climb.

Please understand that I'm not saying that the Ouray event should be changed either....I'm simply saying that Moab offers everything Ouray does except for a good time of year for summer break....which is reason enough to keep the event in Ouray.

What I'm trying to convey, in case you haven't been Woodsman, is that Moab has easy runs identical to Ouray in terms of difficulty. I am asking that you don't discount Moab just b/c it may seem that the area has more difficult trails than Ouray, b/c that isn't the case.

Respectfully,
Sean

"I too pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice."-Defender

Building a Trail Rig (IMO): https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-rig-imo.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Celtic Cruiser

http://http://www.trailsheaven.com/ Try this part of West-By-God. Spent time in this neck of the woods in the seventies. Mountain Momma. Maybe less of a yuppie scene than Ouray/et.al. Looks good for an east coast summit, ya'll.

08 SANDSTORM {Clarification} Celtic in this usage is pronounced "Keltic" refering to the European Barbarion tribe, not "Seltic" as in a basketball team.:
Gallup, New Mexico/FJ Cruiser

OME Heavy suspension, ARB air lockers front and rear, Safari snorkel, Tuffy security boxes rear and center, All -Pro: (upper A-arms, front winch bumper, and shock skids), Mile Marker 9500 winch, Custom brush guard, TRD alloy wheels, Rear scuba, OEM sliders, CB w/Bandi mount and 6 foot whip antenna.

Last edited by TennesseeSquire; 01-04-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: fix link
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Celtic Cruiser previously said: View Post
http://http://www.trailsheaven.com/ Try this part of West-By-God. Spent time in this neck of the woods in the seventies. Mountain Momma. Maybe less of a yuppie scene than Ouray/et.al. Looks good for an east coast summit, ya'll.
The Hatfield-McCoy Trails are ATV & Dirt bike only.

Terry

2007 FJ Cruiser TRD SE - SOLD
2000 Land Cruiser UZJ100 The Wife's - SOLD
20?? FJ Cruiser - Coming Soon
2008 4 Runner Limited - Let the modding begin

My TRD Build Up

Have you tried FIREFOX with AdBlocker +
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Formerly FJ_Marine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
TennesseeSquire previously said: View Post
The Hatfield-McCoy Trails are ATV & Dirt bike only.
That's never stopped some of yall before

Dave
1984 FJ60

[O]=TOYOTA=[O]

^^^ CLICK TO SEE MY 1984 FJ60 PROJECT ^^^
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Forum Superstar

One of the problems you will have moving it out of wide open west. Is trail rash, here in the Southeast all of the trails have trees & brush. There is alot of pinstriping.

Terry

My TRD Build Up

post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bostonian1976
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Best previously said: View Post
Still looking for Black Steelies for my '07 FJ. Will buy one, two, three or four wheels. Please contact me at [email protected]
Richie
yes, I hear that is a great trail as well...

MT6 Titanium

ARB roof rack, BFG AT KO's, Demello sliders, skid (bling) plate, TRD exhaust, VIP, UR2, and side airbags.

--
'64 Land Rover Series IIa Station Wagon

--

Come to the 2008 FJ Summit!! http://www.fjsummit.org
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Formerly FJ_Marine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Best previously said: View Post
Still looking for Black Steelies for my '07 FJ. Will buy one, two, three or four wheels. Please contact me at [email protected]
Richie
HUH????????

Dave
1984 FJ60

[O]=TOYOTA=[O]

^^^ CLICK TO SEE MY 1984 FJ60 PROJECT ^^^
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Bostonian1976 previously said: View Post
yes, I hear that is a great trail as well...
Quote:
FJ_Marine previously said: View Post
HUH????????

We ran that after the raffle on Saturday night. Jason we'll take you with us this year when we to it.

Terry

My TRD Build Up

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in