Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Looking for Some Knowledge - Are there Similar Towns to Ouray that are Central?

8K views 70 replies 34 participants last post by  BMThiker 
#1 ·
Just food for thought for upcoming years....

what other towns do you all know of that include scenery and offroad trails that are good for most levels of offroaders?

Please list what you know.

Random question but are there trails such as this in or around the Tetons?

#2 ·
The Tetons aren't really "central" though. Access is much better if you're looking for similar trails to Ouray in places like Denver or along the Front Range.

Another nice Colorado area is in the Santo De Cristos....but there isn't as much in terms of lodging like Ouray/Telluride/Silverton....better wheeling though in terms of difficulty...but you're looking for more stock friendly trails.

I think the place you guys are seriously overlooking is frankly pretty obvious: Moab.

They have everything from seriously easy and scenic (with not only desert vistas but mountain views and snow runs up in the La Sals) perfectly suited for stock vehicles, but obviously also has moderate trails like Hell's Revenge, Golden Spike, Moab Rim, Behind the Rocks, and Pritchett for those looking for a challenge.....

Then there's the extreme **** in Area BFE for the truly mentally unstable. ;)

It has it all, caters to offroaders, has plenty of accomodations/lodging and fits all skill levels.

While I love Ouray for the scenery, the wheeling is boring.....Moab has scenery AND wheeling.

Sean

#3 ·
I agree- but I also think Moab is very predictable too...ya know? I did think of mixing it up by having the Summit have its final days in Moab, which would be pretty cool and in line with what a lot of people do anyway.....

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
I get what you're saying...but if you move it up to the Tetons....Moab is no longer "on the way" or in close proximity to anything.

Besides, while the weather in Ouray is great in August....the weather in Moab is generally miserable.

Just sayin'....

Sean

#7 ·
yeah the Tetons thing was more of a random thought, but overall I wanted to pick peoples' brains on what else was out there similar to Ouray......

amazingly I think the answer is 'not much'

#9 ·
yeah the Tetons thing was more of a random thought.
Weather might become an issue also. We were there 3 years ago in June and it snowed 4 of the 5 days. And the NP svc said that it had snowed the year before in July. I don't know if this is normal for the summer months or not, just what happened to us.

#8 ·
:worried::worried::worried:

#10 ·
While I love the idea of having a group grope in the Tetons, Jackson serving as home base, it just isn't the right place. No matter how much I love the place.

Scenery: Off the charts!
Trail availability: Some, but certainly nothing like Ouray or Moab
Town Accomodations: Plenty, particularly in August, but a bit spendy.
Restaurants: Plenty, but rather spendy

I agree with Sean that Moab is an obvious choice. Certanly a bit more snuggly than Ouray, but some INCREDIBLE four wheeling and scenery, as diverse as it gets.

I would think there would be something in Arizona or New Mexico too, but since Sean hails from the Southwest, he'd be in a better position to know and I didn't see any responses offering it up.

Ouray is great, but I'd like to see this event move around a bit.

BTW, thanks again for all your hard work putting this together these past couple of years Bostonian!

Mike

#11 ·
AZ is probably the best place in the nation for really hard 4wheeling.....but it's not in the realm for vehicles with full bodies.

From what I've witnessed of FJCs on our more moderate trails, I sincerely doubt that there are that many people who would be interested in the risks we take to our sheetmetal and drivetrain parts here.

Sure, there are easy trails and lots of accomodations, but unless you really like desert scrub type scenery, the really scenic trails are just too extreme in terms of vehicle difficulty.

JMO......I'm sure many AZFJCers may see it differently.

The other problem is time frame. I know the summer is popular b/c of kids being out of school.....that leaves Ouray as still the best bet as the weather is perfect then.

By contrast, Moab is too hot and is best visited in the fall or spring in terms of weather.

Sean

#12 ·
There will always be those that are bored with the trails or feel they are too easy or whatever. IMO, you should keep the Summit in Ouray. There are always new faces/new owners to keep the attendance up and those who feel like they need a different or more difficult experience can head another direction such as Moab, Arizona, etc.

There are many other less traveled/less touristy and more difficult trails in the Ouray area if you look in your Colorado guidebooks. Those looking for something different can always check some of those out as well.

#13 ·
I respectfully beg to differ on the Ouray area having anything even remotely difficult. If there's a more difficult trail there than Poughkeepsie....please fill me in as I'd love to do it......I just haven't even seen any obstacle that is very difficult in the area including Poughkeepsie's "wall" or the hill climb.

Please understand that I'm not saying that the Ouray event should be changed either....I'm simply saying that Moab offers everything Ouray does except for a good time of year for summer break....which is reason enough to keep the event in Ouray.

What I'm trying to convey, in case you haven't been Woodsman, is that Moab has easy runs identical to Ouray in terms of difficulty. I am asking that you don't discount Moab just b/c it may seem that the area has more difficult trails than Ouray, b/c that isn't the case.

Respectfully,
Sean

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
http://http://www.trailsheaven.com/ Try this part of West-By-God. Spent time in this neck of the woods in the seventies. Mountain Momma. Maybe less of a yuppie scene than Ouray/et.al. Looks good for an east coast summit, ya'll.

#17 ·
One of the problems you will have moving it out of wide open west. Is trail rash, here in the Southeast all of the trails have trees & brush. There is alot of pinstriping.

#18 ·
#20 ·
#24 ·
ah - no need to turn this thread into a debate, please. IMO Sean was cordial in his post....and didn't ask for wheels either, which was awesome.

back to places that would work :)

There will always be all different skill levels at these events, and that's something to keep in mind for future locations/alternate locations.

For the record, the Poughkeepsie wall scared me but hey I'm from Boston and everything is flat :)

#25 ·
#30 ·
Back to the thread...

Moab would:

1. Provide a much needed change of trails and scenery.

2. Is much more reasonable cost wise in restaurants and motels.

3. Has wonderful scenery... Mountains, desert, etc.

4. Has trails to provide whatever difficulty participants would want.

5. Would be a great change of pace!!!

cheers,

dale

#31 ·
I am really hoping to be able to go to both Ouray and Moab in the near future. Both work and my current location have prevented me from doing so. This will be changing soon but with my luck as soon as I move out west and can make it, it will either move to a different location or go away all together. :lol:

#37 ·
I also thought Texas might be a good option with Katemcy (though I've never been, just plan on it soon) or maybe somewhere else in that big state. It seems to be the most "central" to both coasts and having seen some amazing pics of events there, "should" be able to accommodate a bunch of FJC's...

#50 · (Edited)
Has anyone checked out the Superlift ORV park in Hot Springs, AR?

Superlift Off-Road Vehicle Park at Hot Springs, Arkansas*·*www.orvpark.com
Superlift is definitely on my list of parks to visit very soon. That whole area of Arkansas is fantastically beautiful, with the woods and terrain.

I can't speak to whether it's an alternative to Ouray, as I haven't been to Superlift to be able to compare the two. But, it should probably make the short-list, just based upon its location and scenery...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.