Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

thinking of trading my wrangler in on an fj cruiser

6K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  Sanderhawk 
#1 · (Edited)

I am past the point of the hard core rock crawling and more into expeditions and exploring. It is no secret that the new 4 door wranglers are gutless and I really do not like the looks of them. So an fj seems to be the logical choice. I test drove 1 today and have mixed reactions, it is kind of like driving in a fishbowl. :)

Onto my questions:
Has anyone traded it in a lifted wrangler 4 an f j and Have any advice or cautions for me?
I am looking for a used 1 because I like to save money, didn't they make them in 2009?
I have not seen a single 2009 listed for sale.

See less See more
#2 ·
yes they made them in 2009 my only warning going from a lifted wrangler to an FJ is ur gonna spend money mod-ing...... but a mod-ed out FJ is a very capable crawler in it's own right just more comfortable on the road...

"I test drove 1 today and have mixed reactions, it is kind of like driving in a fishbowl. "
-evilspock

p.s. after a while the FJ seems normal from the inside

#6 ·
I made the same decision a little over a year ago. I had a 1996 wrangler with Rubicon Express 5.5 Long Arm kit, 36" fun country's, bumpers, winch, gears, stereo, etc.. The hardest part now is the loss of individuality I had with my Jeep. I enjoyed the buildup and creating my Jeep, but time to move on.

I now have a 07 FJ and love it. Other than the obvious issues that are all over this site: Suicide door dance in parking lots, visibility, lack of interior lighting, lack of roof sound insulation, the FJ is a better vehicle. Pick up a 2008 or newer FJ, throw on a 3" lift, some 33's or 35's, and roll out. You will not be disappointed. I guarantee you will spend more time in it too!

#8 ·
From that pic it looks like maybe you're from AZ? The FJ is an awesome desert vehicle. Like you said, the windows feel weird at first. But because they're short and vertical, they keep the sun and a lot of heat out. That and the white roof help tremendously on a hot day. You can actually go wheeling in 110 degrees and stay comfortable.

#9 ·
That does look like AZ , but I can't recognize the area, with little backdrop. ' The FJ is a different beast than the Jeep. If you want to be more comfortable , the FJ is the way to go. IFS is always a limiting factor with the FJ, but it definitely has more power.
If you're in AZ pm me. I may be able wheel with you so you can see it on the trail.
FJ's have been made since 07 . There are enough cream puff, mall crawlers out there, to get a really good one that has only seen a few mall trips. If you get a low mileage FJ even an 07, it may be a really good find. You will want all the traction aids available, rear locker, a-trac. Let me know if I can help in any way
thanks
Don

#10 ·
i did (almost) the same. I traded my 03 TJ, 3.5 superflex lift, 1 inch body lift, locked f&R on 35's for a scion TC, then the scion to the FJ.

i miss the hardcore rock crawling, but more cause i dont have time for it anymore. Ive had my fairly stock FJ up to Rausch Creek here in PA, and had no complaints. greens/blues like a champ. I miss my jeep, but love my FJ

#11 · (Edited)
...I am past the point of the hard core rock crawling and more into expeditions and exploring...

Onto my questions:
Has anyone traded it in a lifted wrangler 4 an f j and Have any advice or cautions for me?
I am looking for a used 1 because I like to save money, didn't they make them in 2009?
I have not seen a single 2009 listed for sale.
I went from a purpose built WJ (8" long arm lift, bumpers, winch...) last August into my FJ.

COULDN'T BEEN HAPPIER!

I'm like you, past the rock crawling, looking to actually explore...

I traded in my WJ as it sat, could have gotten more on the open market, but I was done [with the Heep] and [wanted] needed a change.

I purchased here. Good people, solid experience.

Good luck!!

#12 ·
I have had CJs and TJs and was a dyed in the wool JEEP guy for years. Do to work needs I traded the last TJ in on a 2005 xtera 2WD, after two years it was "No es Bueno". Looked at the 2007 FJs and thought it would be the perfect compromise, turns out it was no compromise at all. I don't think you will regret the choice at all. Welcome to the site Brother!

#16 ·
Besides all of the other little problems that everyone has mentioned so far, you should be happy with the FJ. Every time I go wheeling with jeep people, they make fun of the FJ at the start of the trail. By the end, they are pretty surprised that I was able to hang with them. And that was before the lift and 33s. :rocker:

#15 ·
My situation was different, but related:
I wanted to buy an off-road capable vehicle, and looked at both Jeep and Toyota.
Decision point(s): the Toy is just much better in everyday highway/freeway traffic, plenty of punch, even with 4 occupants, and good enough for expedition driving. The 4-door Jeeps look funny, and somehow doesn't have the character of the two-doors.
Plus, seems all the real serious off-roaders use a dedicated second vehicle anyway, to get the best performance.
Why don't you keep the old Jeep for serious use, and get the FJ for the rest?

#17 ·
Like many here I came from the Jeep world as well. Had a slightly modified '99 TJ and it was very capable off-road but gutless on-road. I've owned nothing but Toyota/Honda since the late '80's, so the reliability issues were a source of great frustration. I got mine with 65K miles and the list of mechanical defects was staggering, and all from normal use. A $12 part (idle belt tensioner) failed at ~80K miles one evening coming home from a day on the mountain, and that settled it for me: I'm selling this piece of junk.

Here's what you'll miss from your Wrangler: the half-doors (visibility+open-air cabin) and a little bit better clearance/rock crawling capability. I went with a group to Chinaman Gulch last weekend and a slightly lifted Wrangler (driven by Chuck, owner of FunTreks Guidebooks) scraped far less than the FJ's, which were all (except 1) lifted 3+ inches and on upgraded tires. Everybody finished the trail, including the stock-height FJ who even took a harder line sometimes than most, but the FJ's definitely had more underbody scrapes to show for it.

If you aren't hardcore-rock-crawling anymore, you'll love the FJ. It will go anywhere that a Jeep will, and be far more capable on the highway getting you there and back. And when you're exploring with a group and you get tired of dust, roll the windows up and turn the A/C on and you won't get a bit of dust on you.

I don't miss my jeep, not one bit. The marginal difference in capability and visibility isn't worth the horrible quality/reliability of those vehicles.

#18 ·
This thread spoke to me. I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler that we built-up. We modified it for a vehicle for the wife and I to explore the back country of Northern California. Now we are raising our grand daughter and seek a vehicle with more room and just a tad bit more refined. We test drove an FJ today and it seems to be a great fit. I think we will become owners as soon as I sell the Jeep.

#20 ·
Had an 06 LJ, miss the top coming down easy and throwing the doors in the garage but thats about it. I have some tube doors for the FJ so I still get that familiar feeling. Does all I need off roading, great after market support too. I follow Jeeps all day. You will love the FJ

#21 ·
I just traded my '03 Wranger for an '07 FJ this past Saturday. My Wrangler wasn't built much at all but I'm really enjoying driving the FJ on the street a lot more already.

I've had a number of VERY build Jeeps and some pretty built Toyotas too. A few days in, I'm really liking the FJ.

#23 ·
my first auto was a Jeep Cherokee 4x4. loved the car as a first car but it was a money pit and the engine was pretty gutless. Had a Camry in college. Then a scion tC and just recently the FJ. One thing about Toyota's is that they last forever and dont have problems as frequently. My Jeep always had something wrong with it and for that reason i've been with Toyota ever since. I've had my FJ a little over a month now and i'm loving it!

#25 ·
Traded in my '05 LJ for my '07 FJ about a month ago and haven't looked back. I loved my Wrangler but it just wasn't practical with 2 kids. The FJ is larger, rides better, and gets better gas mileage. The Jeep seemed a little better off road but that is largely because I ran BFG All Terrains on it and the FJ only has the stock road tires the dealer installed. I don't think you'll regret trading in the wrangler.

#26 ·
Sounds good, but try to keep Wrangler, I miss my FJ40 for hardcore antics, even though the FJ Cruiser is formadable.

#27 ·
The wife has an '06 TJ. Only mod is a body lift and some 33/12.50 MT's. It's nice. I mean, the top comes down. Umm.... I don't have to worry about a pesky rear windshield wiper on it. Ok... it sucks. I mean it's nice for what it is. But compared to the FJ, it's a POS. I'm happy the FJ is mine and not the other way around. Get the FJ, you'll love it.

#30 ·
I used to own a YJ. What I really missed when I bought the FJ was driving with the top down. It's a definate factor you will have to decide on.

The one thing FJ lacks other than that (reading your first post) is as a expedition rig, you will lack some range with the small fuel tank.
FJ is quirky as others have mentioned but you will probably get used to it.

Good luck with your decision!

#31 ·
I went from a 97 TJ (daughter drives it now) running 4 inch terra flex and 35s. I looked very closely at the the JK but the engine turned my off as I tow a ski boat a lot and the Jeep just does not cut it. I love the FJ and it more than hangs with jeeps until you get locked frotn adn rear and then it has to be really mean for me to bow out. Every time I get inot my TJ now I notice how the ride is just not what I want I am used to in the FJ. I am used to the sight issues with the FJ and love everything about it.

#32 ·
My best friend has a jk and loves it, but it seems that every time we go kayaking, he wants to take the FJ. It's cause it can fit all the gear and boats, and take us down the forest service road to get there. I absolutely love the FJ, but it'll definitely take some getting used to. The only thing I'm jealous of is that he can take the roof off of his jeep... But seriously, just keep test driving, see if you can borrow a friends and see how the FJ will fit in your everyday life. That'll help you make the best decision. Looking back on my decision between the two, I'd choose the FJ every time.