LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Rust--Still An FJ Issue?

Quote:
Datajockeys previously said: View Post
I just spray the crap out of the undercarriage with this: AMSOIL MP Heavy-Duty Metal Protector No rust so far after 2 years!
Do you have to apply before rust starts? I have a bit on the welds and my front dif is covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I coated the underside with Por-15 about a year after I bought my fj. When I coated her, the underside looked like the factory coating was holding up quite well but I would rather not take the chance. It only takes a few hours if you have a lift.

2009 Honda XR650L
2010 FJ Silver MT
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Bgon previously said: View Post
I coated the underside with Por-15 about a year after I bought my fj. When I coated her, the underside looked like the factory coating was holding up quite well but I would rather not take the chance. It only takes a few hours if you have a lift.
POR-15 work fantastically. It actually adheres better to rust than bare metal.

Though, it is kind of a pain in the butt with the amount of prep work needed, with the metal-ready, and cleaner, then applying.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
To see what me and Roux have been up to, check out our instagram page: Laytonsky
-Layton

TLCA# 20623
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)

Quote:
Kuro previously said: View Post
Do you have to apply before rust starts? I have a bit on the welds and my front dif is covered.
Nope. Just spray it on and it penetrates and turns into a hard wax. It does need reapplication every couple of years.Cool thing is that it is a motorcycle chain lube as well.

Army Green 2011 NSSE (Option Package 3) w/ Tribal Graphics
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Forum Regular

So dirt wont stick to this stuff ? So far mine is good, but I spend a great deal of time on logging roads and am looking for some additional protection. Thought about just using rubberized undercoat but not sure that would slow the rust process any if its being applied over existing rust.

VE7SAN - 2013 Trail Teams 5AT.

Custom storage box/sleeping deck. Skeeter Beaters, 48" Hi Lift Extreme, Icom 2200H, Larsen 5/8 wave 2M antenna. OEM Hella roof top lights and air dam (Thanks Toyota Canada) Sirius Sat radio. TRD CAI on the bench in the shop awaiting the arrival of the TRD Cat back exhaust. Then she is up on the hoist for instalation.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Forum Superstar

If you spray over rust with an overcoat like line-x or bedliner, you will not stop the rust. If anything you may complicate things. Negate the rust either chemically or physically before going this route. Since new, I have been using Amsoil MP HD and rust is at a minimum. The wax finish should repel mud or at least make it easier to rinse off. Get as much loose debris off the underside before applying.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Irish Mike

I work for a dealer and we see it all the time. The rot that occurred in the Tundra's and Tacoms's was pretty bad on some vehicles and others were absolutely fine. Toyota does not manufacture or treat the frames that were going bad so they made a change in the company that makes the frames for them. We did see our first Sequoia that had severe frame rot and are in the process if seeing if Toyota is going to cover that one.

From my personal experience, gulf states, east coast and cold weather climate vehicles are always far worse than other regions. Even cars from the great lakes regions have severe corrosion, even when brand new. The salt water air just wreaks havoc on the metal surfaces. Cars that are in the saltwater climates are much worse than say the Midwest where we get plenty of snow and subsequently sand, salt and brine solution coating our city streets.

On another note, some surface corrosion is almost always normal. I have never seen a frame or differential fail from surface rust. I see it on every vehicle that pulls through the shop and it is almost never a concern. Some bolts will get rusty and hard to remove but other than exhaust, we just don't see it as a huge problem.

I for one, just clean the underside on a fairly regular basis.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Forum Superstar

This thread gave me a great idea! My past life as a sailor reminded me of a way we used to mitigate corrosion on ships and equipment exposed to salt spray. Zinc! We used to have sacrificial zinc blocks we used to bolt to structures. The zinc corrodes instead of the metal surface it is attached to. There are several threaded holes on the frame and suspension that chunks of zinc can be attached to. Be sure it has a good electrical connection to the part you are trying to protect.

Chemistry - Rust prevention by sacrificial anodes

Cathodic protection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Re: Rust--Still An FJ Issue?

Quote:
Datajockeys previously said: View Post
This thread gave me a great idea! My past life as a sailor reminded me of a way we used to mitigate corrosion on ships and equipment exposed to salt spray. Zinc! We used to have sacrificial zinc blocks we used to bolt to structures. The zinc corrodes instead of the metal surface it is attached to. There are several threaded holes on the frame and suspension that chunks of zinc can be attached to. Be sure it has a good electrical connection to the part you are trying to protect.

Chemistry - Rust prevention by sacrificial anodes

Cathodic protection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Great post. It worked on my outboard motors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Forum Superstar

^^^ If you are going to use the sacrificial metal method, be sure not to cover the zinc surface with any preservative. You actually want the sacrificial metal to oxidize.

This looks like a great resource: Bolt-On Zinc Anodes

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in