Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Check the Recall list

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  daltondrose 
#1 ·
I recently bought a used '08 FJ. After seeing the last Toyota recall story in the news I decided to check if the FJ was involved. It is not. But when I entered my VIN on this web page...

Toyota Safety Recall and Car Service Information

I learned of other recalls that were specific to the FJ.

I then called my dealer and asked them if they could tell whether or not my FJ had been serviced for the problem by my VIN. They checked it and said I needed to get service for the seat belt recall. Very glad I checked cause I kinda expect that part to work properly when needed.

So if you bought a used FJ do yourself a favor and find out if it needs some love from the dealership that the prior owner did not give it.

#2 ·
Not doing the seat beat recall is not a sign of lack of love… but rather a sign of distrust on how its corrected and the reasoning behind it. There are more than enough threads on it here.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up Old Cruiser. I will search those threads and educate myself further on this topic.

Update: After searching the forum I found that the seat belt recall is intended to reinforce a portion of the suicide door where the belt is anchored. There is some concern at Toyota that the mounting point may fail. It may become weakened after repeatedly closing the door with excessive force. Many in the forum are unconcerned about this, and do not want to spend the 2-4 hours at the dealership to have the fix installed. Some suggest that by just taking care not to slam the door you can eliminate the need to ever require reinforcement of the mounting point. It looks like a judgement call for many who wrote about this.

I think I will spend the time (and no money) and let my local dealer do this for me. I just hope my local dealer is one of the good ones who can do this right the first time.

Let me know if I have a good handle on this now Old Cruiser. Thanks again.

#4 ·
I entered the vin on the one I'm looking at and got

"There are no open Safety Recalls or Special Service Campaigns for your vehicle."

Is that an indication that the seatbelt recall has already been performed?
Is that vin check deal accurate?

I've been trying to decide if it hasn't whether or not to mess with it. My rear doors will get a good amount of use.

Not wanting to hijack, but my other nagging question is about the driver's seat wobble.
How widespread and how big a deal is this and did anyone ever truly identify the culprit?

#6 ·
Kamokazi - Apparently it does apply to all models 2007-2013.

Pop1655 - The result you got is interesting. I just ran my VIN again. When I did it I got 4 recalls listed. Only the seat belt one applied to me. Here is what it showed me...

1)Safety (Non-Compliance) Recall D0G Remedy Notice - Genuine Toyota Auxiliary Light Kit Accessory Designed to fit 2007 to 2013 Model Year FJ Cruiser Vehicles

2)Safety Recall D0C - 2007 through 2013 Model Year FJ Cruiser Vehicles Access Door Inner Panel

3)Safety Recall C0R Remedy Notice - TRD High Performance Brake Kit Accessory Equipment Recall Designed to fit 2007 to 2012 Model Year FJ Cruiser Vehicles

4)Safety (Non-Compliance) Recall B0B - Certain 2008 through 2011 Model Year Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Tacoma and Tundra Vehicles Equipped with Toyota-Recommended Light Truck tires and TRD Accessory Wheel

As for the seat wobble. I am with you. Thanks for bringing it up. I have searched this whole forum and never found the answer to this problem. Mine does it too. I am baffled that no solution has been found and shared. Maybe I am just not searching right. If you find the answer please let me know. Maybe Old Cruiser has the answer?

#7 ·
The post that made the most sense to me was to not max out any of the seat adjustments.

Really want to know the answer on this one.

I thought I felt the wobble the other night and a split second after the fact did sort of a "what the heck was that" to myself. Didn't really think too much about it until I discovered all the talk about it here. Now I'm paranoid. Not knocking the truck and accepting 100% of the blame, but I have to admit that I have a disease/incurable brain disorder that would enable the wobble to ruin my life if it were real.

#8 ·
I feel it every time I go over a speed bump. I live in an apartment complex so that is 3 times on the way in and out every time I go somewhere! Two months into owning this truck and I love it. But I am totally obsessing on this problem. My local dealer said they have never heard of it. It is a known thing on this forum yet no solution! Very frustrating. I think it is time to get out of the newbie zone with this question and ask the veteran members of the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.