Does a 2" or 2-1/2" front leveling change handling? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Newbie Discussions A flame free zone

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Does a 2" or 2-1/2" front leveling change handling?

Quote:
NZDZRT previously said: View Post
What is the issue with speed bumps? NZDZRT
^

My issue is that the bottom seems to drop out if you don't creep over them....

2014 Build.
Silver Roof, Pro Comp Lift 3", TRD Wheels, Cooper A/T3 285x70x16, TT Black Out Parts, ARB Touring Rack, Baja Ladder, Bushwacker Fenders, Rigid Upper & Lower Grille w/ SR 6" LED's & D2 LED's, Front Grille Guard, Rigid SR-M Rear LED's, ANZO Headlights & Turn Signals, M-PAC Side Rack, Ellis Precision, TTUE Skid Plate, Rocktek Rear Bumper, PRG Snorkel
..........................____
...............______//__{\___
............./__(0)_//__/_(0)_/

My Post may not be disseminated, without the express written consent of myself or a doppelgänger with a worse attitude then my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Quote:
Tony from Tulsa previously said: View Post
Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks, and nothingn else?
Ditto! ???????
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I am running 2" supreme suspension leveler on my 11' TT. Cornering seems to be improved, and I can see stop lights now More clearance off-road is also a good thing. I think it sits a hair high in the front, but I dig the look.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
johns048 previously said: View Post
I am running 2" supreme suspension leveler on my 11' TT. Cornering seems to be improved, and I can see stop lights now More clearance off-road is also a good thing. I think it sits a hair high in the front, but I dig the look.

Very nice stance!! Ok, here's an update with another question: On our local Toyota lot, there are a few pre-owned FJ's for sale. One of them has definitely got a front end level kit installed. The stance, plus the tire size looks PERFECT. I measured and wrote down a few dimensions. Front hub to fender is 22-1/2". Back hub to fender is 22", so it sits ever so slightly higher in the front. Tire size is P285,70 R17 117S and they are mounted on stock 19" Toyota wheels. Thing is, I looked under the front fender and I didn't see a coilover spacer that looked much different than stock. The shock was blue, not factory. Possibly a Bilstein?
Anyway, the thing sat perfect. Looked great, and it convinced me that is the lift I'm going for (eventually). Nothing radical, but just right. Does anyone have $1400 I can borrow? Ha-ha!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I installed the Supreme Suspensions 2" kit on my 2007. With a full tank of gas, my front is 1/8" lower than the rear. Ride is the same as stock. I feel handling is better. I don't miss the feeling of driving down hill all the time. Eliminating the braking nose dive is a big plus.

I felt the install was fairly easy. It took me about 2-1/2 hours by myself, in my garage with a floor jack, jack stands and no power/air tools.

I was the best mod I have made so far. And... the kit is fairly inexpensive at supreme suspensions.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks, and nothingn else? cool. How is the install?
Quote:
Pop1655 previously said: View Post
Ditto! ???????
Yes

2007 VooDoo 4x4 Auto - LOADED
OEM Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust
Ricochet bash plate, PureFJ sliders
Manik brush guard w/ Blitz 240s
Add'l 12v outlets, Scuba Mod, Amaesing hood decal.
08-09 side sun visors
265 Duratrac's on Raceline Rockcrusher. Bilstein 5100's front and long travel rear.
Backup Camera w/ 7" monitor
Power rear window mod
Hemi71cuda's Build
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 58 Post(s)

Quote:
sigtrovert previously said: View Post
Guys, was looking for a thread like this and thanks for posts! Have now paid off other car, so time for some mods on my 11 TT which is getting Baja rack and lights, so ARB bumper and winch next. So Daystar 2" be a good solution, at least until what front suspension changes needed?

Thanks!
I'm also running a Daystar spacer lift, and I'm far from an expert, but I wanted to comment on this real quick.
The spacer uses the existing stock front coils, so you need to be careful about hanging a lot of weight on the front end. By doing so you may be causing yourself problems. For example, it's going to negate any lift you added by pulling down the front, and it may actually give you a bit of a funky ride and exaggerated nose dip when breaking. Its probably a better idea to start looking at a true lift kit with heavier coil-overs and shocks if you want to start aggressively modding.

As far as the ride goes, my ride didn't change when I added the Daystar. If anything it actually got a little better. I'm not sure what the comment about speed bumps was about, I haven't had any issues. I'm not a real aggressive off-roader, so the Daystar was a really economical way for me to add larger tires for hunting and hiking.

Last thing I wanted to say was about doing it yourself versus having it done. It isn't that hard to do. A buddy and I took about 4 hours to do it while splitting a 6 pack. Not only was there a great sense of accomplishment but it was also a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. That being said, it really helps to have a little bit of basic mechanical skill and the right tools. Floor jacks, jack stands, impact wrenches, etc. Its not impossible without them, but it definitely makes it easier.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Lightpath previously said: View Post
I'm also running a Daystar spacer lift, and I'm far from an expert, but I wanted to comment on this real quick.
The spacer uses the existing stock front coils, so you need to be careful about hanging a lot of weight on the front end. By doing so you may be causing yourself problems. For example, it's going to negate any lift you added by pulling down the front, and it may actually give you a bit of a funky ride and exaggerated nose dip when breaking. Its probably a better idea to start looking at a true lift kit with heavier coil-overs and shocks if you want to start aggressively modding.

As far as the ride goes, my ride didn't change when I added the Daystar. If anything it actually got a little better. I'm not sure what the comment about speed bumps was about, I haven't had any issues. I'm not a real aggressive off-roader, so the Daystar was a really economical way for me to add larger tires for hunting and hiking.

Last thing I wanted to say was about doing it yourself versus having it done. It isn't that hard to do. A buddy and I took about 4 hours to do it while splitting a 6 pack. Not only was there a great sense of accomplishment but it was also a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. That being said, it really helps to have a little bit of basic mechanical skill and the right tools. Floor jacks, jack stands, impact wrenches, etc. Its not impossible without them, but it definitely makes it easier.
Hey Tulsa isn't that far from New Mexico. Make the drive to help and I'll spring for a whole TWELVE pack. And not that domestic stuff, either. Thanks for the post. I like the Daystar kit for what I'm looking to do.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 58 Post(s)

Quote:
Hey Tulsa isn't that far from New Mexico. Make the drive to help and I'll spring for a whole TWELVE pack. And not that domestic stuff, either. Thanks for the post. I like the Daystar kit for what I'm looking to do.
Throw in a pizza and I'm there!
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Lightpath previously said: View Post
Throw in a pizza and I'm there!
Done. Hand tossed or thin crust?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in