Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

A list of impactful cheap mods?

13K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  NickleTech 
#1 ·
Has anyone compiled a list of cheap mods for the FJ? I've got a long wishlist of what I'll EVENTUALLY get around to - but for now I'd like to get started right away with some little stuff.

I've seen bits & pieces of quick recommendations but was wondering if there's a list someone has created. (tried searching cheap mods... no luck)

#3 ·
Um the alex hack for running atrac with rear diff $12

Shadow warriors scuba mod for $30

rear link housing skids 3/16" $40

stickers plenty of stickers:lol:

#4 ·
A K&N drop in air filter is cheep and easy. So is a Magnaflow Muffler(only the muffler, not a cat-back):)

#12 ·
Thanks.
Mine was about $110.00 installed. Opened up the exhaust as well as the $425.00 cat-back.(IMHO):icon7:

#6 ·
Nice, good stuff so far. If the list continues to grow summarize it after we run out :)

Even though I have barely started - I am already infected with the MOD disease.

#8 ·
Vent visors cost about 50 bucks and lets you to drive with the windows wide open and not getting blown to bits.

#9 ·
A few cans of black spray paint and some sand paper. Paint the bezel and bumpers all black. Looks killer and cost is about $20.00 from the Home Depot. make your rig look $1000.00 better.

#19 ·
FJ# 8 - quick question about removing your mud flaps. I started to unscrew my right rear flap and noticed that by removing the flap it exposes a space leading into the bumper. When you removed your flaps did you cover this area up with something?

#13 ·
Speaking of mounting the accessories you mentioned Cruzinwyo, do you have advice on the best method for mounting against the interior plastic lining? I looked at putting my Auto Fire extinguisher back there but wasn't sure if it would hold.

#20 ·
PIAA horns.... $45

Disconnect the DRLs..... Free!!!!!

Bandi mount..... $40..... I think????

PIAA headlight change.... $75!!!!!

Total $160..... Not bad!!!!

#25 ·
Go with a better tire even if you don't do any off roading. I ditched the stock Dunlops when the truck rolled into the shop. I test drove a FJ with BFGs and one with the Dunlops on a rainy day and made my decision on the spot. Pick your favorite brand and add'em.

#26 ·
AutoVentShade makes a set for about $50. Well worth the proce.

Give it time and you, too, can have a Custom Cracked Windshield.

Reactions: MoabChris
#29 ·
Multi-vex mirrors, I don't remember the cost, seems like they were $50+ or so.

#35 ·
Tell me you aren't joking - I've been wondering about that forever... will be seaking out that thread shortly.

#37 ·
So far I've received a ton of great ideas that will keep me busy. Thanks for everyone who has contributed. I'll keep watching this thread to see if anyone else has any suggestions and come this weekend I'll summarize them for all us newbies to see

#38 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.