Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2011 FJ Trail Team Edition

7K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  db1 
#1 ·
I am very close to getting a 2011 FJ Trail Team Special Edition in the Army Green. The vehicle is near mint with 94,000 miles.

Question 1) This vehicle does not have the 112v hookup in the back, nor does it have the compass gages. Is this unusual for this special edition?

It has everything else you would expect in the package.

Thanks

#2 ·
Most likely that is a NSSE.
It was supposed to be a real Trails Team but the quake in Japan messed a few up and they did not get all the Trail Teams stuff put on so they renamed them upgrade 3 pkg and sold them as is.
Some dealers or owners added things to make them appear closer to the Trails Team as well.
Here are a couple links about them

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/newbie-discussions/128283-official-nsse-count-thread.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/126095-what-nsse.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/newbie-discussions/140507-nsse-vs-tt.html

#5 ·
Price is about right. If you could knock off a little bit more maybe $500-$1,000 it would be good.
What wheels are on it? How are the tires?
I would not avoid the purchase because it is not a true Trails Team. Most people on here change out suspension and wheels/ tires anyway so it is all about looks. Colormatched roof, Awesome Green Color :bigthumb:

#6 ·
Question 1) This vehicle does not have the 112v hookup in the back, nor does it have the compass gages. Is this unusual for this special edition?
As @2010armygreen already noted, you're looking at the Not So Special Edition (NSSE). What's missing from the truck that is a giant pain to replace -- gauge cluster and rear inverter -- aren't usually worth the hassle. Everything else -- lift, wheels, roof rack etc -- can be replaced or upgraded.

With this known, is it worth $24,000? Is it worth the purchase at all?
The price seems high based on the miles, as a comparable '07-'09 truck would be $17-19K. How badly do you want that specific year/color?

There are 9 2011 Green FJ's in the US under $30K / 100K miles (not all of them are all green, check the roof / black trim). Check those listings and see if any of them seem like a much better deal to you. And then learn to love the idea of buying a car then flying to pick it up :rocker: as the Trail Teams trucks are increasingly being bought remotely by very picky buyers. If somebody stole / destroyed mine, I'd get another 2011 Green truck this way.

Alternately, if you're not so set on the year/color, run a similar vehicle search for 2010+ with 4x4 and see what deals are near you.

Good luck!

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah I work at Porsche of Nashville and we just sold a 2011 TT FJ with 33,000 miles, we put 5 new BFG KO2s and new wipers, and sold it for $29,500. It was mint. I almost bought it myself just to have the TT...but at this point, outside of the JBL sound and Army Green color, there is nothing different than mine and I've only got 40K miles on mine. For what it's worth, the 2011 TT FJ we had appraised for $26,500. They appraised my non 2011 FJ with 6K more miles on it for $25,500. The TT package doesn't necessarily translate over to second owner value like it does new.

If I were in the market now, I would make sure the one I bought had the gauges on the dash already (I retrofitted mine-pretty easy to install but was around $550). Otherwise, as others have noted, they're all equally able to be modded to the same standard. The Trail Teams is a neat package but there is nothing mechanically different you can't do after the fact. It's NOT like going from a 911 Carrera to a 911 Carrera S-the S gets you bigger motor and brakes, essentially impractical to retrofit. Not the case in FJ Cruisers but again, have the gauge cluster in the dash already would save you a couple hours of labor and $500+.

#9 ·
As of today, I am the proud owner of a 2011 Toyota FJ (NSSE). I plan on adding two (2) pieces of equipment:

1) Rear Power
2) Rock Rails

Can anyone directly to a reasonable place to purchase these two (2) pieces of equipment and is it possible to install these two (2) pieces of equipment yourself?

#15 ·
Congrats on the NSSE!

You'll find lots of rock rails out there!

Here's mine, they are All Pro and color matched to my wheels! Might be cool if you color matched your green wheels and rock rails!

Happy trails to you!

:smile

Attachments

#13 ·
Congrats on getting the best color.

Don't bother with the factory rear power. It provides about enough juice for a boombox.

Lots of threads here on how to add a more powerful aftermarket AC inverter.

#14 ·
Nice truck. I like the color of the steel wheels too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.