post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 04:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: CB radio

I have a Cobra hand held I use was a back up if someones shorts out on the trail, not the most reliable. Get one hard wired into the FJ works best.

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him for ever.
爸爸龙
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
In a 10-person Summit group, 9 will have CBs and 1-2 tops will be HAMs. It's hard to make the case that they make for better trail comms unless you're part of a club that requires every member to get one, and never wheel with anyone who doesn't.

To me the bigger selling point is always being connected, and some of the text/internet/APRS capabilities of HAM. If you run solo / expedition a lot, I'd have the HAM.

But I don't run solo very much, just with groups. And I want a clean interior, so two radios is going to be a pain.
We have certain runs that I have started requiring it on. Baja, the Arctic Ocean, etc. Bigger runs, I want everyone on 2M. When I can't I usually ask the tail gunner to at least have 2M. When you get a bigger group spread out around terrain, you can't beat the reach of 2M (or 440).
luk4mud likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Vegas_Nick previously said: View Post
We have certain runs that I have started requiring it on. Baja, the Arctic Ocean, etc. Bigger runs, I want everyone on 2M. When I can't I usually ask the tail gunner to at least have 2M. When you get a bigger group spread out around terrain, you can't beat the reach of 2M (or 440).
HAM is technically superior for several reasons, but the problem is not enough people have it, and I don't want to run with two radios.

Lobby FCC / Congress to remove the license requirement, and set aside some frequency range where licensing still applies so that the licensed guys don't have to deal with the riff-raff.
Lumber_Jack likes this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

CB RADIO I use a MidLand Minature Model 75-822
Why? Its portable, so can be used in multiple cars! Its inexpensive relative to many higher end models you can buy a magnetic antenna and radio for $96 currently at Wally World see link below!
When not in use its in my house safe from theft! The quality is above average solid "B" for the price ! Easy to set up when I " meter" the signal I can move the antenna on the top of my FJ, and I found the best route for the cable connecting to the CB ! No wires to cut plugs into my power plug or a cigarette lighter
( do cars still have these? Hahaha)
nice backlit LCD display!
For my needs it does the job! You can get more expensive models ( Galaxy ! Yikes ) but unless you need state of the art it will suffice! I use it primarily for trail running but it came in handy when we went over one highway pass and they were paving found out quickly on the radio what was going on and turned off my FJ cuz it was a 30 minute wait. Great when on the trail at the Summit ! I was tail gunner on several runs so it was nice to keep in touch with trail leader when I lost site of the! Best $100 dollars I spent on an acessory. As always opinions will vary based on needs. I look at it as a utilitarian necessity for the backcountry!

Here is a link to WalMart price!
Midland Miniature Handheld CB/Weather Radio - Walmart.com
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

This is how I did mine.

Full write up here: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...reo-today.html

Zed 71, DX FJC and boilermaker like this.

2008 Sandstorm 4X4 auto, OF, CQ, C7, RF, Tuffy Center Console, Trail Gear sliders

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 05:46 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

My setup. (link)

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post2291107

I mounted my antenna to one of the ARB Bull Bar CB antenna mount points.
Zed 71 likes this.

Don
2012 Trail Teams Icon Stage 1 suspension, GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs 285x75Rx16, MetalTech lower links, MetalTech 2 Stage sliders, ARB Bull Bar, Warn XD9000 winch, PIAA 510 driving lights, Front Runner Slimline II roof rack, ARB awning, Tuffy console, Cobra 29WXNWST CB

Wolverine Build
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

Quote:
HAM is technically superior for several reasons, but the problem is not enough people have it, and I don't want to run with two radios.

Lobby FCC / Congress to remove the license requirement, and set aside some frequency range where licensing still applies so that the licensed guys don't have to deal with the riff-raff.
MURS is a no license VHF band group of channels.
The entry-level amateur radios available to technician license holders are not always superior. Simplex or radio to radio, don't expect more than a CB, GMRS or FRS range. Repeaters is what makes a handheld talk... If you can reach it. If say a off-road club sponsored a repeater site or had the ability to set up a portable one for a weekend run that would be great. Yes they are all over but they do get more thin the more remote you are.
A small mobile radio with a cigarette lighter plug and a good mag mount antenna will be more than enough and you can throw it in the garage when you're done until next time.

2011 Army Green
3" extended travel Icon coilovers with King springs, Icon expedition rear springs, Icon shocks
Total Chaos arms front and back
305/70R17 Goodyear MT/R's on Hutchinson beadlocks
TRD air box, Safari snorkel, Flowmaster cat back, URD off road pipe
Rigid Industries light bar and duallys, Piaa ion fogs and white driving,
Whelen ion strobes, Ricochet skids, Springtail M-pac,
and lots and lots of radio gear
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
DX FJC previously said: View Post
f say a off-road club sponsored a repeater site or had the ability to set up a portable one for a weekend run that would be great. Yes they are all over but they do get more thin the more remote you are.
@gremlin

Drone-based CB repeater to hang out 200-300 feet above the convoy during the trail run? We're moving slow enough.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
@gremlin

Drone-based CB repeater to hang out 200-300 feet above the convoy during the trail run? We're moving slow enough.
Lifting enough power would be a problem, although with lithium iron phosphate batteries we are getting close.

Steve in MN, sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 08:10 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 96 Post(s)

Nah, somebody had to get to a mountain top that has line of sight to where the run will be. Either post up to provide communication for the group or leave it in place and go back and get everything.

2011 Army Green
3" extended travel Icon coilovers with King springs, Icon expedition rear springs, Icon shocks
Total Chaos arms front and back
305/70R17 Goodyear MT/R's on Hutchinson beadlocks
TRD air box, Safari snorkel, Flowmaster cat back, URD off road pipe
Rigid Industries light bar and duallys, Piaa ion fogs and white driving,
Whelen ion strobes, Ricochet skids, Springtail M-pac,
and lots and lots of radio gear

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in