post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: First month and 3,000 miles in my 2007 FJ

Spoke with Keith at dirty deeds today, heading down Saturday for the cat back and get the growl back. Been another 2 months and 3,000 more miles, and still love the FJ!! But have been looking at some gx460 as when we had to go to grandmas for Christmas I found the fj is a bit tight for 5 people on a long trip
iwashmycar, WebSnyper and Joabmc like this.

2007 Fj cruiser - black cherry - TTUE White Grille - TTUE Front and Rear Shocks - TRD Bronze Wheels - Baja Rack Drop In Basket - ARB Cold Air Intake - Trail Teams Blackout Mirrors, Handles, Bumper Wings, Valiances

See my want ad in the wanted section

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:10 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

You'll love the Dirty Deeds exhaust. Keith is a great guy and I couldn't be happier with mine.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Glad to hear you have no regrets

LGRT
See our Overland and Off-Road Adventure website for stories, pictures and videos of our exploits, how to mods and maintenance as well as random thoughts and rants
MODs:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel Off-Road and Overland Adventure Videos
"Like" us at Last Great Road Trip on Face Book for extras and a free LGRT decal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quick update, been 6 months since I traded the Landrover lr3 in for the FJ cruiser. I have put a little over 10,000 miles on it since then. And still loving it!!!

But still having a few missing things. I really miss the stereo from the LR3, the stock FJ radio really well... Sucks

I was looking at adding the sub woofer option, but have been advised against it. A few people suggested the kenwood deck, but what are your guys opinions, I like the look of the stock radio and the 6cd changer is cool, but the sound is no Bueno .

I also missed the roar of the LR3's jaguar v8, so I did get the BAD ASS muffler from Keith at Dirty Deeds and have been very very unhappy with it, Keith said he would make it right but it's been 2 months and I am still waiting. Any opinions? Borla? TRD? Magnaflow? I drove an FJ with a Magnaflow and loved the sound, Keith said his would be better, but the drone has been so bad I can't drive it on the freeway any longer.

Also the seats, not super great for long trips, I have seen people mention they get the seats out of the gx460 and swap them in but that's a 2,000 $$ deal. I have also heard the 4Runner seats are a good replacement. Anyone have any first hand experience with this???

The pluses!! I don't have any more check engine lights, no drooping suspension, tons of fun to drive, and I got to scare my son by actually jumping it!!!! So much fun to get air in the truck!!! Anyone know how to turn off the traction control beeping when you are in the air??

Still looking for some parts for this to get it really dialed in, so if anyone wants to check my want to buy ad, I would appreciate any leads.

Have a great day!!!

Bill

2007 Fj cruiser - black cherry - TTUE White Grille - TTUE Front and Rear Shocks - TRD Bronze Wheels - Baja Rack Drop In Basket - ARB Cold Air Intake - Trail Teams Blackout Mirrors, Handles, Bumper Wings, Valiances

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 02:45 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Garage

Glad you still love the FJ. As for the things you dislike most of them are going to be a personal choice...

Sound... very personal. I too 'downgraded' my stereo swapping to an FJ, I had a Volvo XC70 with the surround sound top stereo, I'm not a big radio person but it was amazing, I think what I dislike about the FJ is that the speakers are all up front, I need to add the rear pillar speakers or something to get more surround sound. (My old LC stereo was equally bad). I put in the Android stereo, but more for the apps functions than the sound. If I wanted sound then I'd go with something else probably.

Exhaust tone... I recently fitted the BAM and love it but didn't realise I didn't get anything more than the centre box which makes it very expensive. If I had I'd have gone Magnaflow since it is available here in the UK and much cheaper for more... Most of the members here rate the BAM which is why I opted for it. I guess it all depends on what you're comparing it to. If you have a 'note' you want to match it's much harder, I just wanted to hear the sound a little more and increase the flow. I suggest you listen to other fits before you swap it out.

Seats... There are a few builds on here with aftermarket seats, sorry can't think who's for now, Recaro would probably be my choice, something with a bit more shape than the very flat FJ seat would be nice. But again a very personal choice to suit your own shape and driving position/style.

I guess if overall that's all you hate about the FJ it's doing its job well, all minor stuff and all easily swapped out.
FatJohnson likes this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Garage

I`m in my first 11 years and 132,000 miles in my 07 FJ and still love it
ZerosFJ likes this.

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Garage

You are correct about the stock FJ radio being sh!t. That was the first thing to go on mine. The stock speakers, and deck are absolute trash and at very minimum, you should replace those. If you want to get really kinky, then you can add an amp or two, and perhaps a few 12 inch subs in the back

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life." - Napoleon
"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - George Washington

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 06:07 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Glad you are still enjoying it.
Agree 100% on the sound part. I replaced my head unit with an Alpine W927 about 3 years ago. Replaced the door and dash speakers at the same time. Sound is much better. However, the stock speaker placement in the FJ, relative to the size of the interior is, IMO, inadequate for great sound - no matter what HU/speakers you put in.

My wife drives a new model BMW 5 series (with the upgraded sound package) - the FJ can only dream of sound like this.

But I did not buy it for the sound aspect.

Droning aftermarket exhausts are not unusual - very annoying/uncomfortable. I don't have any experience with the brands you mentioned - for the FJ. Try and hear one with it on - and try and ride in it at highway speed.
I had a Borla waaayyy back in 1999 on a SVT Mustang Cobra - it droned too. Had a RPI on my wife's old BMW 550i - it droned too. The only luck I have had with no drone was a Tubi exhaust on my prior vehicle - BMW M5 (V10) - but then you could buy 10 TRD exhausts for the FJ for the price of the Tubi.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 07:00 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)

Quote:
Zero'sFJ previously said: View Post
"maintenance nightmare", "leaking sunroof" (or should that be plural)... "leaking air suspension" ....

I see you had one that passed their quality control with all the usual "free extras" included.

Welcome to motoring without carrying a toolbox, you'll love it more and more each day it gets you home.

Here I just smile and laugh inside at LR owners (yes I was one briefly so I can) though I suppose you have to give them credit for their loyalty.
Welcome!!
Glad to here the FJ is living up to your expectations!
Tell me this how do the folks at Land Rover stay in business, no matter which one you hear about, the words 'High Maintenance and Nightmare' are in the first 25 or so words that their owners use to describe the ownership experience.
Beats me!
BTW, I also have a 13 year old and he was 3 when I got my first FJ, and like your little one, he loves my FJ's, he grew up in them!!......gm
FatJohnson likes this.

TLCA # 20795
2018 Lexus LX570
2018 Jeep JK Rubicon Recon
2014 FJ TTUE- 1 of 2500
1994 Mustang Cobra Indy Pace Car Convertible 5.0 (Stock)
1986 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab Longbed 5.0 (Stock)
1982 Jeep CJ7 Limited Edition (Stock)
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo Convertible (Stock)
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Well it has now been 9 months and 11,000 miles and still loving the FJ!!

I will say I am really looking for more comfortable seats. I have seen the posts about swapping in Lexus GX460 seats, and if it wasn't a 2,000$$$ upgrade ( by eBay prices) I would give it a try.

Just did a quick trip to Salt Lake City and it drove great on the hwy at 90mph both ways.

Still trying to figure out what to do on the stereo and speakers.

If you are thinking of getting an FJ , stop thinking and do it!
FatJohnson likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in