Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Hi Lift Pros/Cons and preferred placement

Quote:
aranamac previously said: View Post
What's a good alternative, perhaps less heavy and potentially dangerous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Off-Road Jack Overview - Jp Magazine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:00 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
10 rounds out of a Lee-Enfield .303 as a 7 year old was not enjoyable (apart from that gorgeous bolt... but I only appreciated that once I was older and had the chance to shoot other rifles).
THAT is a wonderful rifle.
amaclach likes this.

f0rgiv3 m3, i haz t3h dum6
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
I am a huge fan of my hydra-jack. Super simple to operate, stows easily (though you may want to get the long version if you're running big tires and lift.) Is it worth the money? For me, yes because I am interested in lightweight and compact recovery solutions and I've had some bad experiences with a Hi-Lift jack but I won't fault the jack so much as my poor recovery planning.

However, my view is that it's better to be well trained with a problematic tool than it is to have the best tool and lack of experience. I'm still learning. . .
amaclach likes this.

f0rgiv3 m3, i haz t3h dum6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:35 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Robot previously said: View Post
I am a huge fan of my hydra-jack. Super simple to operate, stows easily (though you may want to get the long version if you're running big tires and lift.) Is it worth the money? For me, yes because I am interested in lightweight and compact recovery solutions and I've had some bad experiences with a Hi-Lift jack but I won't fault the jack so much as my poor recovery planning.

However, my view is that it's better to be well trained with a problematic tool than it is to have the best tool and lack of experience. I'm still learning. . .
I was going to link the hydra-jack as I think they are kinda cool. The way it adjusts seems kinda chintzy though. Has it given you any problems?

Young, dumb, and blunt - Chris
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
Good read Iconic. They said bottle jacks have a problem with small contact patches. Too bad they didn't look into accessories like these https://safejacks.com/collections/bo...ck-accessories.

Young, dumb, and blunt - Chris
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2947 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Robot previously said: View Post

That is jack pron... It ain't cheap though!

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have a hi-lift that I take (when I remember) off road. (I'd say it's proven most useful for jacking up loaded u-hauls while moving between apartments.)

I think the hi-lift is in some ways least useful as a jack. There are much safer and controlled options in many scenarios. As a recovery device and hand powered come-along it's much more useful imo.

One other thing we often forget mounting these: in a wreck or roll over situation the hi-lift quickly becomes a 45ish pound steel missile. Without solid mounting points and hardware, especially in the cab, the hi-lift is extremely dangerous even sitting with the rest of your gear. Mounted on the bumper or roof rack off road and crawling is one thing. The forces in a 70mph highway crash could sheer those mounts (or what they're mounted to) and send the jack through the window of whatever you hit/hit you, or if its inside the FJ into you and your passengers.

I think they are great tools, but they demand a level of respect in both use and storage that a winch or bottle jack don't.

As others have said: if you get it, then practice with it where nothing can go wrong. Also, prepare to spend about $100 in accessories to make it useful to you for vehicle applications.
amaclach and kevinrfoote like this.

2011 Iceberg FJ Cruiser
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:05 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Phaedo previously said: View Post
Mounted on the bumper or roof rack off road and crawling is one thing. The forces in a 70mph highway crash could sheer those mounts (or what they're mounted to) and send the jack through the window of whatever you hit/hit you, or if its inside the FJ into you and your passengers.
Yeah, I've never been a fan of mounting it on the front bumper for that reason.
amaclach and kevinrfoote like this.

Steve in MN, sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
As has been mentioned already, they can be useful, but they can be dangerous and costly too. If you get one then learn to use it. People have smashed fingers and hands from them "kicking" back. One incident was posted here years ago which I can't find now showed a guys thumb split open and about twice the size as it should have been when it was smashed between the handle and the body of the jack. They can also slip and smash doors or other parts of your vehicle too. People on here in some of the threads have mounted them on their roof racks, some along the bottom of the front of the back seat, and some on rear bumpers or swing outs that were set up to hold one, some also have them mounted on the bar on their ARB front bumper or it can be mounted on the bar of a similar style too.

Plenty of accessories out there for them to use depending on the job being done. Base plates for mud/sand, hooks to lift a wheel, adapters to let it be used on sliders, etc. Make sure you have it setup so that it doesn't slide such as when on a rock base or say pavement. Put something like a rubber mat so that it can grip and not slide out. Maintenance is something that is overlooked too. Being mounted out in the weather can mean that water, sand, dust etc. can get on it and gum it up and if steel or part steel cause rust so keeping it clean and lubed so that it works and lasts is something that's needed. There are covers for them or sacks too, but even then you need to check them as the jack can rust if any moisture gets inside the bag. The last thing you need to have a situation where you need the jack and it won't work because it's rusted and gummed up. Just some things to think about.

I've used them with my Dad many years ago and with friends too. Dad moved mobile homes as a second job and we would use them to slide the tongue of the home sideways to gain access or get it into place when parking it if the truck wouldn't fit. We used it on our backhoe too. My friend used it on his property to stretch fence, move sheds, etc. A great tool when used and respected.

I rushed out and bought one back in about 1990-95 sometime as I was starting to take my new pickup off road and, well everyone had one. I've still got that jack and it looks just like it did the day I received it from UPS. That's because it's sat in the corner of my living room ever since then. I've never used it once. I haven't needed it in all the trips on back roads or to Moab that I've done over the years. I've been strapped out of stuff and my stock jack with a couple of foot long 2x6's has worked good enough to change tires with. It's probably going to be worth a fortune sometime as an antique and worth even more since it's in perfect condition. My relatives might make out pretty good on that.

Here's a few threads on the Hi Lift. There are probably more under different terms such as mounting or something too.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum - Search Results for hi lift jacks usage fj cruiser

Thanks for the detailed info!

Kevin | Eagle County, CO

#2 2013 Trails Team Edition | Concrete with Custom Black Top | ARB Front Bumper with Smitty Winch | Toytec Adjustable Lift with Heavy Duty Springs; Bilstein 5100 extended travel in rear | Bed line on Plastic Components | BPRM cat back exhaust

#1 2008 Sunburst Yellow | Manual AWD | Super Charger | Other goodies | RIP after accident: FJ vs Elk Herd and guard rail
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Usedbutnotabused previously said: View Post
I would say, if you have sliders, a high lift is very useful. Without sliders, and the adaptor to lift from them, it won't get much use on the trail. I've changed many tires lifting from the sliders and pulled out stumps and moved a shed. They are powerful, if crude, tools. Without good points to lift the vehicle from, they are less useful on the trail than you think.

I have sliders and arb bumpers. I don't know the ideal jack placements.

Kevin | Eagle County, CO

#2 2013 Trails Team Edition | Concrete with Custom Black Top | ARB Front Bumper with Smitty Winch | Toytec Adjustable Lift with Heavy Duty Springs; Bilstein 5100 extended travel in rear | Bed line on Plastic Components | BPRM cat back exhaust

#1 2008 Sunburst Yellow | Manual AWD | Super Charger | Other goodies | RIP after accident: FJ vs Elk Herd and guard rail

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Tags
hi jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in