post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need help

Replacing lower suicide door striker plate on driver side
Posted 01-25-2017 at 07:15 PM by Superjorel
HELP HELP I could REALLY use our collective wisdom ASAP!!! 1-25-17 posted this at 6:12 pm my time
I only have 2 days to figure this out.

I just bought the 2008 FJ of my dreams, had it certified by Toyota before diving in to a loan payment. I Franklin LOVE this rig and it's a beauty

I took it to the dealer I bought it from for them to replace the suicide door lower striker plate on the driver side
(is really rusted out) and the dealer called me to tell me after they cut the rusted bolts off the inside plate that the bolts screw in to fill inside the rocker plate area and they can not get it out or know how to even attaché the new striker plate now, that the only way they can see to do this is to cut in to rocker plate area to finish replace job, and that they will not do this because it will jeopardize the A-pilar column structure. All that said they want to buy back my dream FJ.

Does anyone know how to replace a lower suicide door striker plate? It's the post the suicide door latches onto to hold door closed, I am totally torn up over this, I do not wont to give up this beauty. I went as far as to call all my locale Toyota dealer to find out how to do this and even the American division of Toyota and no one could help.

If you know how can I please get a detail instruction on how to do, that I can pass onto dealer before I give up, HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 11:32 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to borpa11
Re: Need help

Friend, congrats but I would ask you to reconsider. If your rig is rusted to the point where a dealer wants to buy it back Id look for another truck. Now if you choose to do it, it sounds like you will be cutting out all the old metal and welding in new. A dealer will not do this usually because of the potential liability.
Choose wisely.
amaclach likes this.

God forgives...Rocks Dont!
Thats what plates and sliders are for!!!!

Mods- Just a guy and my truck.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 11:44 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I believe that there was a RECALL on those strikers or the door skin cracking/tearing in that area from the doors being slammed closed? Maybe someone here can clarify this? I don't remember the specifics, but remember that my dealer asked if I had it done.

Let them buy it back or replace the doors. What country are you in?

2011 NSSE

トヨタ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thank you for reply
I'm in Spokane WA, FJ came from Illinios

The issue is the lower upside down U shaped item that the suicide door latches on to when you close door
I was told it's called a striker plate? Which could be wrong

The rust I spoke of was on that item (striker) which screws into uni body

Dealer had to drill the bolts out that holds item (striker) on to remove it, once they drilled bolts out the plate and nuts (that hold all together) inside uni body fell into uni body.
Dealer can not figure out how to get old plate and nuts out or get new plate and nuts in to screw new item (striker) on.
Dealer idea was cut in to uni body, pull out old plate and nuts then put new plate and nuts in to screw new striker and bolts in to, but they will not do this because they said it will compromise the A-pilar and they do not want to be responsible
Which is the Reason they have offered to refund me all my money on FJ

Hope that made issue more clear, I was pretty bent out of shape when I posted my problem
Hannibal likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 05:07 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)

From your description, the striker plate was cosmetically rusted, but when they tried to replace it its bolts broke and removing them caused the weld nuts to break free and drop down into the rocker (the rest of the vehicle is not badly rusted).

If they cut an access hole in the inner wall of the rocker panel (visible from underneath the vehicle) it should provide them a way to replace the lost weld nuts (and get the broken off ones out so they don't rattle), and after they weld the hole closed should not be visible from outside. A good body man should be able to do that in a couple of hours, max.

Just be sure they coat the result (on the inside) well with corrosion protection, via some access hole they could drill and cover with a rubber plug, to make sure the weld doesn't rust later (weld tends to rust faster than regular metal).

N

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

That sounds like the way to go.

Thank you very much
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
I think they use a plate in the rocker so there is adjustment in the striker and when they cut the bolt heads off the plate fell into the rocker.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

If you do sell it back, I highly recommend getting a FJ that has lived its life in Oregon. No salt on the roads to rust things up.

And having just gone through the experience of buying the wrong rig, living frustrated with it, and finally getting the FJ, I know it is worthwhile to take an escape if available without penalty. This is a mass produced vehicle. There are other, healthier ones out there that are more worthy of your time and money. A better, rust-free FJ will drive you to your dreams better than a rusted out dream car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amaclach and WebSnyper like this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:53 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)

Quote:
aranamac previously said: View Post
If you do sell it back, I highly recommend getting a FJ that has lived its life in Oregon. No salt on the roads to rust things up.

And having just gone through the experience of buying the wrong rig, living frustrated with it, and finally getting the FJ, I know it is worthwhile to take an escape if available without penalty. This is a mass produced vehicle. There are other, healthier ones out there that are more worthy of your time and money. A better, rust-free FJ will drive you to your dreams better than a rusted out dream car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on what he said. I dont think I would want one from the rust belt. This seems like a blessing in disguise to me.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:16 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)

If you don't mind? Who's the dealer and where's the FJ? I may be in that area tomorrow.

Is this what you are referring to? https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...r-striker.html

2011 NSSE

トヨタ

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in