Stick or Auto

• Stick

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Auto

Votes: 26 60.5%

Stick or Auto?

7K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  amaclach 
#1 ·
Hey guys, getting close to pulling the trigger on an FJ...

Trying to decide between the stick or automatic.

My knee-jerk preference for any car or truck is usually stick. That said, I am aware there are certain vehicles where automatic is the better choice. For instance, from a pure performance standpoint, I personally like Porsche's PDK system over the stick. I don't have enough experience with FJs to make the call one way or another.

What I do know is that going stick vastly reduces the number of options available to me.

Also worth pointing out that the FJ I'm most drawn to, the 2013 TT, has the crawl-function with the autos.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
I went with the auto with crawl, I find it to be more convenient\functional on and off the trail. Although I have a WRX stick as a daily... that's fun too.

Either way you will have a truck that's very capable, reliable and fun... more fun if auto :) with crawl.... just saying :)

Reactions: thane
#4 · (Edited)
Here is a video by Ronnie Dahl that gives the pros and cons of both manual and auto transmissions.

I personally have an auto. I like it because you don't have to worry about stalling, especially when starting on a steep hill. Application of power is smoother. I live in a large city so driving in traffic is easier too.

#5 · (Edited)
I don't like that my auto is always "seeking" for the right gear with my 285 tire's and cruise control is so brutal I don't use it due to the "redline factor". Still, auto is better than an all the time four wheel drive stick for me and the type of driver I am....
I have to admit, I dream of re-gearing as the answer to all my problems!

#7 ·
Woah, 11 to 1... I thought it would be a lot closer. An auto in a truck still seems wrong to me on some level, but then I've always owned Jeeps, and everything about them (even the news ones) is antique... So maybe it's time for a change. It will certainly open up my selection...
@ttfjc: hahahahaha those guys are hilarious

#9 ·
Watch Ronny Dahl's video posted above, but also take into consideration on the FJ:

- Crawl only on Auto
- Manual is simpler and more reliable (No ADD for example)
- Manual - No need to switch in / out of 4WD in snow
- Auto is more fuel efficient (because of ADD / part time 4WD)
- Manual - No need to worry about trans temps
- Manual - No issues with the trans hunting with bigger tires

I have a manual, I like it, it works for me, it gives me a bit more control in the sand, but most have autos and very few have problems with them if they are maintained as they should be (manuals need just as much maintenance with fluid swaps, clutch adjustment etc).

If you go down the auto route, an additional trans cooler is recommended.

It really comes down to personal preference and terrain. If it is for rocks or urban, I'd go auto every time.

#10 ·
I voted stick and I have an auto. Mind you, the AT was great for learning to wheel and do more technical rock climbing ect.

I also know I am better off in traffic I inevitably sit in for 20-30 mins / day.

The RWD on-road I don't particularly like....doesn't feel very stable compared to if I were to place it in 4WD (in a straight line). I feel like the MT version would generally drive better. If I could, Id swap mine for a MT today lol

If you are prone to do quite a bit of offroading, there is no substitute for CRAWL....it is AH-MA-ZING. point and shoot. A clean auto FJ with crawl would still be a fantastic buy. It really depends on what you want to use it for.

#13 ·
My knee-jerk preference for any car or truck is usually stick. That said, I am aware there are certain vehicles where automatic is the better choice. For instance, from a pure performance standpoint, I personally like Porsche's PDK system over the stick. I don't have enough experience with FJs to make the call one way or another.

What I do know is that going stick vastly reduces the number of options available to me.

Also worth pointing out that the FJ I'm most drawn to, the 2013 TT, has the crawl-function with the autos.
Driving around town, it makes no difference so get whichever you like. Offroading, climbing hard obstacles etc, the automatic is easier on you and the truck because the application of power is much smoother and you can't stall it. So the question is, how much do you plan on offroading it, and where.

Years ago the manuals were better because they gave more control, but with our automatic you can select every gear individually. So for downhill engine braking, climbing uphill to stay in a certain gear etc, you have all the control of a manual with none of the hassles of having to manage the clutch.

I prefer manuals when it makes sense: my weekend sportscar is a manual. But my daily driver is an automatic because shifting gears in traffic is dumb. And my FJ is an automatic because it spends most of its time either driving to/from the trails or being on the trails.

If you plan to offroad it, do yourself a favor and get the automatic. If you want a challenge while offroading have your wife or significant other poke you in the eye before you drive up an obstacle :rofl: then hit the gas and drive over it in the automatic.

#14 ·
Stick=manual, because of full time 4WD and better overall gear ratio.

There is no need to regear for 35" if manual, but it's almost mandatory with auto. Manual goes same speed at same rpm on highest gear with 37" than automatic with stock 32" tires!

#16 ·
I think it's all what you're used to and comfortable with. The FJC is my first auto 4WD. I've had it almost 3 years and it still feels awkward when I'm wheeling. Slipping the clutch a little to walk over an obstacle is still easier for me than retraining myself to left foot brake to control the vehicle in tight spots. But I've always had manuals, learned to wheel in a manual, so the auto feels off. I do like the convenience of the auto but there are times that I feel as if I could get more out of the truck and have more control with a stick. Plus the sticks are always so much fun to drive!
But ultimately it's your choice. Drive both and see what one feels right.

#18 ·
My Jeep is stick, my FJC is auto, I love them both. if I was doing a lot of hills and water falls I would prefer the auto. I do have a hand throttle on my Jeep for my third leg on hills when necessary. As previously stated you only get CRAWL on AT. That said if I were to by a new Jeep I'd get an AT.

Plus the wife hates driving my Jeep, first it's hard for her to get in it, and secondly because it's a stick, she gladly drives my FJC as it's AT.

#20 ·
Great topic. Myself i have a stick. I enjoy it more and have been 4 wheeling for years. That said I agree with his choice. In general automatic is a nice thing. Especially if you have the crawl feature. It all boils down to the driver. I would add that a manual vehicle now a days can be a anti theft device. Most people can not drive a stick. There have been news articles of attempted thefts stopped just because a thief did not know how to drive a stick. Good luck on your choice either one you will enjoy your fj off and on the road

Reactions: Joabmc
#21 ·
There are many reports that say you can't do donuts in a manual FJ. That may be true on pavement, but is utterly false on loose surfaces. Leave the center diff unlocked, and go for it. For additional style points, lock the rear diff (via the rear diff lock any time hack). It might not be quite as tight as a 2WD, it's pretty close, and you have better throttle control of the donut.so a quick lift can really tighten it up.

#25 ·
This hack you speak of..
is it really as easy and cutting the white with blue striped wire and grounding it to the frame?

Really want to do this but i'm afraid of cutting wires.

i have 2010 6mt, my father in law has the auto 2011. i would feel really bad if i screwed up his rig trying it out.

also on the 6mt..if i dont lock the center transfer case...my understanding is that it would give power to both rear or one front with the locker engaged? curious how that would work..

#22 ·
I "settled" for a manual transmission because that is the FJ I found that fit all the other criteria I had.
And I'm enjoying the experience, it's been too long since I drove a stick and I forgot how much fun it is.
The engine seems torque enough that much of my city driving I can loaf along in 3rd or 4th with little problem.

#23 ·
Well, I'm definitely leaning towards auto now, just because there are so many more choices. It's like 30 to 1 in the market right now.

It will be weird to "re-learn" wheeling with an auto. Left-foot braking is very counter-intuitive. I've only done it a little bit, when I was renting a truck in South America. I got the hang of it around day 3... I wasn't on anything too hairy, just washed out roads and trails. No crawling or anything. I don't really rock crawl at all honestly. I find it boring, ha ha. Seems like the FJ is naturally more of a fast trail and dune rig than a crawler anyway, although I've definitely seen videos of it crawling, so I know it's capable.

If I get the auto, I'm sure things will eventually become second-nature. Beyond selection, the *slightly* better gas mileage with the auto sounds nice as well (I'm looking at 2013s and 2014s).

#24 ·
If you're into fast desert stuff, you won't be disappointed - that's where the FJ really comes into its own regardless of transmission - It'll happily keep up with a Raptor in the desert & dunes in all except the very longest climbs, but it's more nimble in the tight stuff.
Just make sure you tune your suspension for what you're doing

#27 ·
I have owned over 20 vehicles, most have been manual, but now at 40 years old, I voted auto, which is what I own. I think the manual FJ must be one fun truck, and I love the full time 4wd with the 6MT, but the auto for daily driving, off roading, etc. is more relaxed. You don't have as much control with an auto if you have the skills to maximize a manual, true. I am glad to see less comments regarding "be a man and drive the manual" stuff, because we aren't talking a Corvette, Cobra, etc., in my opinion, those cars should only be manual.

#28 ·
I chose auto.... I can drink my coffee and cruise around at the same time :cheers:

Reactions: FatJohnson
#30 ·
Auto, because the rear dif hack makes for massive 2wd oversteer and I, like most Aholes, love oversteer-doing lots of throttle steering.

(Raptors will bury FJs on a desert straight, dune face, hill climb, onramp... anything but boulders, narrows and tight turns)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.