post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 02:59 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Knowing then what you know now

Agree with all that's been said. Tyres and suspension to match your requirements and the best you can afford. If you can afford to 'over spec' then do so, you'll never regret it and long term it's likely to save you money than having to upgrade again.

'The nature of the beast' will doubtless mean that mods will be upgraded and changed, lots of reasons...new products available, change in what you're doing, wear and tear etc. All part of the enjoyment of owning a vehicle you can build to suit

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

These vehicles are truly more capable than most people realize. Get some time behind the wheel, be realistic about what you really want to do with it, then modify it to your taste. I spend a lot of time in the deserts of So. Cal. The only things I have changed/upgraded are tires and shocks. I am not saying this as some kind of B.S. I have owned numerous off road vehicles over the last forty years, all for desert use, the FJ is truly remarkable in it's abilities. Just learn to use it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
formerly Brijesh

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Don T previously said: View Post
These vehicles are truly more capable than most people realize. Get some time behind the wheel, be realistic about what you really want to do with it, then modify it to your taste. I spend a lot of time in the deserts of So. Cal. The only things I have changed/upgraded are tires and shocks. I am not saying this as some kind of B.S. I have owned numerous off road vehicles over the last forty years, all for desert use, the FJ is truly remarkable in it's abilities. Just learn to use it.
I agree, think I want to play it safe from the get go, want to start some decent armor , shocks and wheels as every one seems to suggest and then look at bumpers etc later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Brijeshjagan previously said: View Post
I agree, think I want to play it safe from the get go, want to start some decent armor , shocks and wheels as every one seems to suggest and then look at bumpers etc later.
If the stock shocks are good, and you aren't lifting it, drastically increasing the weight of the wheel/tire combo, or changing the spring rates you won't need to replace them. I typically upgrade shocks to better fit my use when the originals wear out on my FJ this will likely be upgrading to the bilsteins the trail teams came with when the time comes. Wheels are personal preference but I only replace them if the replacements will benefit the build.(otherwise they are just a looks item) Now if you're talking about going with forged wheels that shed a few pounds compared to the stock wheels thats great but it'll be $$$. With the trophy truck they used the lightest wheels strong enough for the task that would clear the brakes and had integrated bead locks. It was amazing to see how many pounds the bead locks and associated hardware added to the wheel but again function over form.
FJ Trails likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
formerly Brijesh

(Thread Starter)

The plan is to do the standard 3” lift and maybe a BMC . Hoping this will leave my options open for tires/ wheels combo. Want to be set up for a new front bumper and winch set up , also add a rear bumper ( again mostly for protection) skids and under body armor will be on the list. I would like to think that I want to do some trail riding, meet more of you members at a summit and get some more real world information before I go crazy adding anything else.
So I am probably going to get my suspension set up taken care of with this in mind? At least that’s what i am getting from the posts. Not dissing the stock setup and @2.ooohhh comment I totally get your rational of why replace it if it works. But I don’t want to wait till I tear something up and then have to change it. Tend to err on the side of caution ( or that’s my excuse for adding the bling�� )
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:28 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Garage

If you are looking for a suspension at a killer price, look at the Trail Team Ultimate Edition Bilstein shocks, the Toyota dealers in the US are blowing them out for $500-$600USD. This would any available in Canada, so I had to buy mine on eBay. Well worth the money. Tires are always number one to me..all the off-road mods in the world wonít make your FJ anymore capable if your tires donít grip. Most upgrade to a 285/70/17 tires.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
ZerosFJ likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Garage

The only mod I would do immediately is a decent set of sliders. Rocker panel damage is a downer, especially if it makes your doors not work right. Everything else is negotiable.

Just recognize there are good, sound engineering reasons your vehicle is designed the way it is, and almost everything you do to it will have other tradeoffs, whether in on-road performance, ride quality, handling, reliability, or efficiency (mpg).

My FJC is the fourth vehicle I have modded, and based on my experience and intended moderate use (mostly overlanding) I have gone for a moderate, light, practical build. I have done a 2" Bilstein 6112 lift, which allows me to keep the factory upper control arms. I have kept the factory tire size (blasphemy, I know) to keep factory gearing and final drive ratio. As a result I still get into the 20s for highway mpg. I don't have a roof rack because they are noisy, cost mpg, and I just don't need the storage room (plus I don't care for RTTs). I have gone for HD rear axle links because they can fold up on you with a fit from a rock. I have aluminum skid plates because I don't do hardcore rock crawling and aluminum is lighter and doesn't rust. I am getting (if Demello ever gets their **** together) a winch bumper that is aluminum for the same reasons. And the winch rope is synthetic for light weight as well. And because the bumper and winch are relatively light I don't have to compensate with a stiffer front suspension.

This works well for me. But it might not work well for you depending on your intended use. Tradeoffs in everything.
thane, bazross, FatJohnson and 3 others like this.

Steve in MN, sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by Serenity Now; 03-15-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in