16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Choices

First: thank you to all that contribute to this forum. The volume of breadth of knowledge is astounding.

The forum has inspired me to re-purchase a 08 FJC after several years away from ownership. My first foray as an owner was a bone-stock ‘13 that never saw a single upgrade through a 2 year ownership history. Loved the vehicle, and regretted having sold it.
I now have a (new to me) 08 that has seemingly lived a spared life with just 29k miles since new. I suppose the low miles make it somewhat of a unicorn among FJ’s. My mission for the vehicle will be second-vehicle toy that will serve as beach runner for weekends. I have modest off-road experience and live in coastal MA where getting to the crawling turf will be rare, at best.

At the risk of being asked by members to go back a read older posts, I am going to ask several questions to gain insight on the latest train of thought for upgrades. The questions are asked in the spirit of “if I could do it all over again, I would have chosen XYZ”.... just opinions on what works well considering many of the upgrade options have changed over the years and products many provide new choices. Budget isn’t really an issue—goal is to build the vehicle for my needs and preserve it for the next owner 10 years or more down the line.

For now I have a small punch list of items that I would like to address:

Suspension— I am leaning toward a simple 5100 adjustable set up for front/rear. Primary reason is to gain level stance, better wheel clearance for larger tires and modestly better on/off road handling. If there is a better more desirable solution, I am all ears. My current setup is all original stock and My research tells me that that this is one area that I can virtually spend and absurd amount of money on where I don’t know that I would be getting a reasonable benefit for my basic use.

Wheels: currently have EO steel on original 2008 rubber(!). Having to address the aged rubber has me thinking about a wheel change in the process. My wheel preference would be SCS F5 but Vin has advised they simply are not available as of now. Love the clean look and wide stance from these wheels. My alternative choice is a Level 8 MK6 17X8 6x139.7 Offset -10 Matte Gunmetal...wheel has a 4” backspace and I would like to go with the largest “practical” tire. Having read and reread many posts, I believe a 32.8” tire is he upper limit of fitment with out surgery regardless of wheel choice. I could not find the level 8 MK6 wheel mentioned in prior threads and that alone may be telling me to look for another choice. If anyone is running this wheel spec, I would like opinion/photos or thoughts on viable alternative. Goal is to get wider stance without spacers.

The rest of my upgrade path will follow suspension/wheels/tires. I do not plan to add material weight (bumpers/winch) to the vehicle.

Again, thanks for all that the members do to contribute thoughts and experience. Truly an outstanding resource!

(BTW: my OEM roof rack will have to go (garage clearance) if anyone is interested it will be available shortly. Same is true if I swap out the OEM Steel wheels)
debFJVT and FJFool like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Choices

Welcome!

"At the risk of being asked by members to go back a read older posts"

This BS is no longer allowed and members have been banned for mouthing off such.

We'll assist any way that we can.

*1st dibs on the OEM Steel Wheels *

Sufficient Speed, Acceptable Drag

トヨタ
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:43 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Bluestar previously said: View Post
I am leaning toward a simple 5100 adjustable set up for front/rear.
Still a great option without breaking the bank. Welcome to the forum!

2007 Black Cherry AT
A-Trac | TRD Cat-Back | OEM Sliders
Mods
Bilstein 6112/5160 | Wheeler's T12 Rear Springs | ProComp A/T Sport 285/70R17 | ProComp Series 41 Wheels | Ricochet Skid | RCI LCA Skids | Diode Dynamics SS6 Wide/LED Mirror/Interior Lights | IPF 968 Lights | ARB CMKA12 Compressor | Uniden Pro510XL | Bandi | 4'/2' Firesticks | Orangeboxx/Springtail Molle Racks | Iconic/Apex Overland Recovery Points | Rad Rubber

Calamity Jane is my Co-Pilot and Herbie is along for the ride!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:03 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 2019 Post(s)
Garage

Greetings from VT!

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Welcome aboard!

'07 Voodoo Blue/6MT/Roof Rack/Towing Package/ALL-PRO-Front Bumper w/Prerunner Light Bar, Rock Guards, Full Skid Plates, High Clearance Exhaust, Ultimate Lower Skids/Metal Tech Rear Bumper/ICON Ext. Travel Remote Reservoir Front-Rear PiggyBack Reservoir Shocks-Shin Guards/aFe Pro-Guard 7 CAI/Doug Thorley Headers/Garvin Trail Rack/KC Daylighters/BFG AT/KO's 315x70x17 Tires/17 inch Steel Wheels/Magnaflow Exhaust/Man-A-Fre Extended Brake Lines/M-Pac Rear Mount/Power Tank/Manik Taillight Guards & Roof Rack Light Bar/Light Racing Adjustable UCA/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/Toy Outfitters Rear Upper Control Arms, Rim Stiffeners/URD Short Shifter/Timbren Bumpstops/Baja Rack, + a butt load more mods..
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome from Oregon

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome back, I live on the south coast, maybe we could hit Sandy Neck or National Sea shore some time.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome from Philo,OH!

No complaints about my Billy's. Almost 50k mi on them. Only the fronts adjust.

Dec 2017 member of the month
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)

a couple of things. Believe or not the OEM steel wheels ("steelies") are fairly rare and in high demand. I advise that if you replace them, you put them aside in your attic or basement.

I like the SCS wheels and those are a good option but I would also point you to the Konig Countersteer X and Konig Countersteer Offroad as potential candidates. I would stick to a wheel no wider than 8" and backspacing between 4.0" and 4.84" (stock backspacing is 4.84"). Take a look at the offerings from FN Wheels.

I would look at the Toytec Ultimate Lift or Toytec Boss lift more than the 'adjustable' 5100 Bilsteins. The reason i put the "adjustable" part in scare quotes is that they really arent all that adjustable as you have to remove them from the vehicle, compress the spring, remove the top hat and readjust the spring land to change the height. Not exactly easily adjustable. When looking for adjustable front coilovers, you want to get the kind that have an infinitely adjustable threaded spring perch to change the preload on the spring.

The Toytec Ultimate uses the 5100 Bilstein shocks, they just put on an adjustable, threaded spring perch allowing you to tune the height.

And, you are right, you can spend big money on suspension. To me the Toytec Ultimate is the 'budget' or first level of suspension upgrade. There are plenty of others out there that have adjustable coilovers...such as Fox, King, Icon, SwayAWay, Ironman, Bilstein 6100 etc.
FJFool and 101Firedog like this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome, Bluestar based on the philosophy of use you described, your plans for your fj is a good one.
CRFjockey likes this.

"You don't need to worry about visibility over the hood....thats why cactus are so tall...just point the truck where the no cactus are and floor it."

-Rick Snell

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in