post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Suspension

Hi. So I know nothing about how to get the right suspension. Can someone direct me and/or give advice. I know to update suspension is next on my todo list. I drive on city roads daily for work, but LOVE to explore new trails in mountains in free time. I also like for it to look impressive since I am in town daily.
I have seen several post about bilstein 5100 and also have seen mentions of changing UCA, but do not even know where to start.
Any help would be great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Suspension

Quote:
pjackson4 previously said: View Post
Hi. So I know nothing about how to get the right suspension. Can someone direct me and/or give advice. I know to update suspension is next on my todo list. I drive on city roads daily for work, but LOVE to explore new trails in mountains in free time. I also like for it to look impressive since I am in town daily.
I have seen several post about bilstein 5100 and also have seen mentions of changing UCA, but do not even know where to start.
Any help would be great!!!
Start by reading through this short thread: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...t-up-work.html

@SilvFx has some great counsel on the value of trying out your FJ the way it is before you start the mods and then deciding exactly how far you want to go.

Meanwhile, as you'll see in the thread, Bilstein 5100 is a legitimate upgrade that you can use to level your FJ without breaking the bank or giving up on or off-road manners. If you just want to level the truck (+1" or +1.5" in the front) you can stop there and it will align without having to add aftermarket UCA. If you start to get up to +2.5" or more in the front you'll need to get more serious with your mods.

2007 Black Cherry AT
A-Trac | TRD Cat-Back | OEM Sliders
Mods
Bilstein 6112/5160 | Wheeler's T12 Rear Springs | ProComp A/T Sport 285/70R17 | ProComp Series 41 Wheels | RESZfab LCA/RCI LCA Skids | Ricochet Skid | DD SS6 Wide/LED Mirror/Interior Lights | IPF 968 Lights | ARB CMKA12 Compressor | Uniden Pro510XL | Bandi | 4'/2' Firesticks | Orangeboxx/Springtail Molle Racks | Iconic/Apex Recovery Points | Rad Rubber

Calamity Jane is my Co-Pilot and Herbie is along for the ride!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
CRFjockey previously said: View Post
Start by reading through this short thread: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...t-up-work.html

@SilvFx has some great counsel on the value of trying out your FJ the way it is before you start the mods and then deciding exactly how far you want to go.

Meanwhile, as you'll see in the thread, Bilstein 5100 is a legitimate upgrade that you can use to level your FJ without breaking the bank or giving up on or off-road manners. If you just want to level the truck (+1" or +1.5" in the front) you can stop there and it will align without having to add aftermarket UCA. If you start to get up to +2.5" or more in the front you'll need to get more serious with your mods.
Thanks for this info. I will read the link for sure. I bought my FJ about a month ago and it already had a 3” Rough Country lift and 33” tires, so it isn’t stock and already 3”.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Found this tonight which kinda helps. I am in-between 1 & 2:

A basic guide which should help you out for your specific needs:

1. Daily Driver, Occasional Off-Roader. Twin-tubes shocks are the best for you. They offer good mechanical absorption whilst making sure your tires stay stuck to the road at faster speeds.

2. Passionate Off-Roader. If you need to travel a little faster on substandard roads to get to your off-road tracks, gas pressurised or mono-tube shock absorbers are great.

3. Medium/High-Speed Off-Roading and Daily Driving. For regular speeds of 20mph plus over tracks and daily driving a mono-tube or reservoir type shock absorber are good choices.

4. High-Speed Off-Road Racing or Extreme Off-Roading. If you fall into one of these categories you should consider bypass-shocks or at the very least a set of reservoir shock absorbers.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:07 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Honestly - get some off road time under your belt with what you have and you'll figure out what you need.

Suspension is the Rabbit Hole - easy to spend $5k and not be happy with your choice because it was wrong for you.
Kansas Law Dog likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)

^^^
Agree. While most here arent proponents of the rough country lifts.....you already have the 3" lift installed with larger, oversize wheels and tires. Wheel it and see what you like/dont like about the RC lift and figure out what things you want to be able to do offroad.

Then you have some time to plan, save, and research a replacement suspension if/when you are ready to replace the RC (if ever) or when it wears out.

You may find that the RC lift does everything you need it to and you can spend your money elsewhere

Last edited by SilvFx; 04-19-2019 at 09:31 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
@CRFjockey @mikey @SilvFx
I truly appreciate your responses. I know you most likely keep repeating this info, so thank you. I am happy with what I have. I will continue to explore trails. I will decide what is needed as I need it. I do need to learn more about this.

So I decide to go with Kings 3.0 coilover shocks. (haha just joking)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	816D55A2-4F80-4851-95C2-10E3814C7ED1_1555651100488.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	1076088  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Look for Bilstein 5100 that use your existing springs in front or for little more cash but definitely better in every sense including some good off road driving, 6112/5160 combo that come with their own Eibach springs in front and both 5100 and 6112 allow for adjustable lift.
CRFjockey likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Garage

Like others said, learn more about your truck by taking it off road. You already have a lift, so figure out what you like, and what you don't like about it. You can go all out and break the bank, or you can do a more moderately priced suspension upgrade. Also, the big question for you to answer is...how much are you truly going to be exploring?

If you're going to explore trails in the mountains, I'd probably invest in more recovery gear. Do you have any of those? For example, a hi-lift jack, air compressor, shackles, towstraps, etc? From your profile pic, you have a nice rig. I'd just make sure you're prepared for the worst out there in the mountains prior to worrying too much about a suspension upgrade.
CRFjockey likes this.

2010 Sandstorm TT--BajaRack Standard Basket Rack (Line-X)--BajaRack Ladder--Cobra 75 WX ST w/4' Firestik--U.S. Offroad Bumper--Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S Winch--2" Sirius Pro LED Lights--Springtail Solutions Side Basket--sPod HD--OEM Audio +--40" Sirius Pro LED Single Row Light Bar--Front Runner Rear Drawer--TRD Exhaust--Wet Okole Seat Covers--All Pro Apex Rock Sliders--more to come...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:34 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

This FJ Cruiser Lifts explained may help you get started in the right direction.

LGRT
See our Overland and Off-Road Adventure website for stories, pictures and videos of our exploits, how to mods and maintenance as well as random thoughts and rants
MODs:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel Off-Road and Overland Adventure Videos
"Like" us at Last Great Road Trip on Face Book for extras and a free LGRT decal

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in