Newbie Discussions A flame free zone

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Checking out an 07 FJ Cruiser! Anything to look for?

Greetings all. Long story short, I’ve been driving a Toyota RAV4 for the last couple of years and while it is an absolute reliable ride, I’ve been so bored driving it. This has prompted me into selling it where I should be making about $4500 off of it if all goes as planned.

I’ve always been more of a 4Runner guy but just recently I saw that an 2007 FJ Cruiser is for sale at a dealership down the street. They’re asking $11,599 with 145,572 miles. It’s a 6 speed automatic with the extra stick. Overall the body and interior appear to be in great shape and the CarFax is clean.

This would be mainly my weekend ride since I commute via train each day, so I thought that might work to my advantage with its miles being a little higher.

Does this seem like a good deal with that much mileage? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:08 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Re: Checking out an 07 FJ Cruiser! Anything to look for?

Make sure you are OK with the limited visibility - neither of us would have one for a daily driver.

Expect a MPG drop from the RAV4. Wife loves her RAV4 - to me it is not so exciting!

I have read that early 2007s had a rear axle that was not as strong - verify before you accept this. Probably not an issue unless you go off road. Research fender bulges, and know what to look for!

There are better judges than me around, but the price looks good.

Despite my criticisms above, we love our FJ and would miss it dearly. It is driven mostly off-road, and it is the best tool for the job.

Matt B
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Look for the same as you would any other vehicle.

"It’s a 6 speed automatic with the extra stick"

If it is a 6 speed it is a manual, the automatic is a 5 speed.

On early FJ there was an strength issue with the rear differential BUT it was limited to specific range of VIN's. Not ALL early FJ's had the issue as many are lead/repeat to believe.
Check for fender bulges/cracks. It is common for earlier FJ's to have them. Cause for them is still unknown.

If you can post a link to the sale it would help us nerds give a better idea of what you are looking at and rattle off our opinions.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Mikey - you are correct, my bad! It is a 5AT with the additional shifter.

Here is the link for the car I am looking at: https://www.motorworldcars.com/detai...970042761.html

Thanks so much for taking a look and for your insight. This is beyond helpful - I schedule a test drive for Thursday! Wish me luck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the advice, Matt. I've taken note of the fender bulges, that's pretty strange but looks easy enough to spot out. I'll definitely take a look and see if I can find any signs of warping - and also check out for rust! Thanks again.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Greetings Austin! Welcome to the forum.

As I just stated to another forum & FJ newcomer: We bought ours new in '07. My wife had totaled her '98 4Runner (hydroplaned) and we went to the dealer looking for a certified used 4Runner. We drove the new FJ more for grins & giggles, but something about it captured my wife's focus. After much thought & consideration, she decided on the FJ. Mind you, she absolutely LOVED her 4Runner; but after a few weeks/months in the FJ, she stated definitively (and she is not one prone to exaggeration) that she would choose the FJ over ANY vehicle in the world!

It does have major limited visibility, but my wife has been using it as a daily driver for 12+ years, and she still loves it.

So if you're bored with the RAV4 and are "more of a 4Runner guy", based on my wife's experience you should love the FJ.

Obviously that is one person's opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I thought it should be shared.

Now regarding the worth/value of the one you are considering purchasing, I'm not qualified enough to give useful guidance on that. I can say that if you haven't already perused the first 'Sticky' at the top of the Introductions & New Arrivals thread in the Newbie Town section of this forum, then definitely start there: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...j-cruiser.html.

Happy hunting!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:36 AM

I think you should come to Texas and buy mine instead.

we'll throw in some legit Texas barbecue too!

If you like the 4 runner, i also agree you'd love the FJ, especially as a weekend driver. It's a lot of fun!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome from Oregon

Checkout this thread.

jimmy-buffett's Complete Guide to Buying or Selling an FJ Cruiser

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...j-cruiser.html
jimmy-buffett likes this.

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Austin Braswell previously said: View Post
Thanks for the advice, Matt. I've taken note of the fender bulges, that's pretty strange but looks easy enough to spot out. I'll definitely take a look and see if I can find any signs of warping - and also check out for rust! Thanks again.
We were on a ride recently, and stopped to talk rigs to some people. One of the other group noticed the crack in our fender liner. Just a line of about 1.5 inches, along the trough of a factory stamped crease. I had looked maybe 40K miles ago, and saw nothing. I will check it when I change oil, but it is way down on my list of worries!

We have over 100K on our FJ, always loved, but rarely treated kindly. It is a monster, and I have been amazed at the places it has gone. We did a gnarly ride in California - At the end a guy with a worried look, riding in a built Jeep stops us and asks "Did you drive that trail ON PURPOSE?" On a different ride, a Jeep friend called on the radio for a break. He was being beaten by the washboard wash, and needed a break and some drugs for the pain. I didn't tell him I had been driving with one hand, sipping soup from a mug, and listening to tunes in AC comfort!

They look cool too!

Matt B
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage

My husband has a RAV4 and it is boring. I love my FJ and want to keep it forever. I drive it on the weekends and in bad weather and it's the best in snow. Jimmy Buffett's guide is great and think nationwide in your search to find the FJ you want.
stephous likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Newbie Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in