Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Found the first thing I don’t like about the FJ

16K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  CabinCruiser 
#1 ·
Well, it took a few weeks but I finally found something about this vehicle that I’m not happy with.

The Stock Roof Rack, specifically the size of the tubing and how there are no hook points. Had to resort to the solution in the photo and I wasn’t too amused securing a load that way..

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Buy an aftermarket one! Lots of options out there, I know for my ratchet straps my Baja Rack has been great, I've hauled a lot up there. :bigthumb:

#5 ·
Re: Found the first thing I don’t like about the FJ

Splurge and get a few of these to put around your rack. They are clamps designed to hold stage lights, and come in ratings from 125 to 300 lbs each. If you put 4 of the 220 pounders on your rack, that's 880 lbs.

All you need to do is take out the bolt and replace it with an eye bolt so your tie-downs can hook right in...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZNQQMN/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

#8 ·

Splurge and get a few of these to put around your rack. They are clamps designed to hold stage lights, and come in ratings from 125 to 300 lbs each. If you put 4 of the 220 pounders on your rack, that's 880 lbs.

All you need to do is take out the bolt and replace it with an eye bolt so your tie-downs can hook right in...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZNQQMN/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
G'Day Long,
Do these tighten up enough ?...per the measurements they appear too big, rack is only 45mm diameter, but I do like the look of them..if they fit snug
Thanks
Cheers
Baz
"blueblob:
g'day Long,
just saw your second post....good solution
Thanks
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

#7 ·

They work pretty well too - I used to use them. Then I started mounting things to the roof rack, and bought a handful of the stage light hangers - they are 2" ID, but I got some big clear vinyl hose and cut half circles from it. Now they fit tight, and they do not roll even under load or scratch the paint off letting rust start - so I just rig them to deal with most anything. Fishing rods, shovels, awning, solar panel - most anything you can want to hang off the rack can be done with these things and a few Quick Fists without any drilling.

I had to get plywood when my F-250 was in the shop - these things handled six 4x8 of 3/4" ply.

But the straps are dead simple solution....

#21 ·

They work pretty well too - I used to use them. Then I started mounting things to the roof rack, and bought a handful of the stage light hangers - they are 2" ID, but I got some big clear vinyl hose and cut half circles from it. Now they fit tight, and they do not roll even under load or scratch the paint off letting rust start - so I just rig them to deal with most anything. Fishing rods, shovels, awning, solar panel - most anything you can want to hang off the rack can be done with these things and a few Quick Fists without any drilling.

I had to get plywood when my F-250 was in the shop - these things handled six 4x8 of 3/4" ply.

But the straps are dead simple solution....
Thats a great solution, before spending a few hundred on a better rack. Do you have a link to where you bought them? Thank you!

#9 ·

Buy some clear vinyl tubing and cut some half circles from it. You can see it in the second pic I posted. Just get a foot of clear vinyl tubing you can fit two fingers inside of.

That takes up the slack in the 2" hanger, and also is great friction so they don't roll under weird load angles.

And they don't rust like typical hanger mounts for plumbing...

#10 ·

Buy some clear vinyl tubing and cut some half circles from it. You can see it in the second pic I posted. Just get a foot of clear vinyl tubing you can fit two fingers inside of.

That takes up the slack in the 2" hanger, and also is great friction so they don't roll under weird load angles.

And they don't rust like typical hanger mounts for plumbing...
Thanks mate,
They also do a 38-55mm hanger... which might work, with or without the tubing...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHDPTQ...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Hmmmmm

Thanks
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

#14 ·
Re: first I don’t like about the FJ - tiedown hanger

Here is an undersized eye bolt so you get the idea. You could use this smaller eye bolt, but you would need to put a nut and washers on both sides of the clamp.

When you get a new one, there is a bolt and the head of the bolt matches the width of the slot in the hanger - so it acts like a wrench. Much easier to go with the right bolt or nut size to utilize this feature of these hangers. They make them this way so when you are up in the rigging, you don't need 2 wrenches to make things tight.

Attachments

#16 ·
Sorry, not right now. I have been reworking what is in and out of the vehicle, and what I need to carry and what might be better in trailer. I got a new solar panel since the old one was wimpy and got wrecked in trees - like my 2m antenna. So you got me in an in-between situation.

I mounted my solar panel using 4 of them and a couple of aluminum strips so it hung below my light bar but above the roof to get sun. Will do the same with this stronger panel.

I mounted my fishing rods using a metal plate bolted to the hanger with a couple of mini-Quick Fist clamps, and let the rods hang off the back of the roof.

I have a couple with eye bolts that I put on when I am carrying something I have to strap down - for exactly the same reason as this thread - the FJ rack does not let ratcheting tie-downs fit - but the eye bolts on the hanger let the hooks on the tie-downs work easily. My son has them on his TJ getting ready to go to ig Bend in a couple of weeks.

My shovel is mounted on 2 of them with Quick Fist mounts bolted up to the hangers - but it is off the rack just now so I can figure out the new solar panel setup.

What I like about them is just unscrew the wing nut and the clamp comes off and whatever you have made it to hold - so you can change up what you carry on the rack when you need to based on what you are doing/where you are going...

#25 ·

Don't really use the OEM rack except to mount my axe and shovel. The 'A' pillar vision issue not so much.

The first thing I noticed was rear and rear quarter vision which I made worse with a swingout bumper which worsened the spare tire location.

The second thing, a little later, was the drivers seat creeping down.

Rear vision resolved, seat creep NOPE!

I like the eye bolt mounting solutions! :smile In case I do start using the rack.

Attachments

#35 ·

Don't really use the OEM rack except to mount my axe and shovel. The 'A' pillar vision issue not so much.

The first thing I noticed was rear and rear quarter vision which I made worse with a swingout bumper which worsened the spare tire location.

The second thing, a little later, was the drivers seat creeping down.

Rear vision resolved, seat creep NOPE!

I like the eye bolt mounting solutions! :smile In case I do start using the rack.
Oh i like the Fuel Canister Rack!

#26 · (Edited)
The lack of a crotch-cooling AC duct outlet centered under the steering wheel, directed squarely at The Boys.

My 3rd-gen 4WD 4Runner has one, and I never realized how much I used it, and how valuable it was when off-roading while wearing shorts, until I discovered that's its missing from the FJ.

Most of my off-roading is in the Southwest, and shorts are appropriate almost all year round, even at higher elevations.

(On further reflection, it's probably equally beneficial for the girls, helping keep things cool, dry & fresh.)

#30 ·

That's one of the things that made me put off getting a swingaway - instead I just put a spacer on the tire carrier to space out and fit the bigger tire.

But the roof rack was one of the draws of the FJ for me - so much you can put up there if you think it thru. I rather cram things on the roof than in the car - especially things we all carry "just in case" like hi-lifts, shovels, traction mats, etc...

#31 ·
That's one of the things that made me put off getting a swingaway - instead I just put a spacer on the tire carrier to space out and fit the bigger tire.

But the roof rack was one of the draws of the FJ for me - so much you can put up there if you think it thru. I rather cram things on the roof than in the car - especially things we all carry "just in case" like hi-lifts, shovels, traction mats, etc...
whats the best way you have found to carry external gas?

#32 ·
Pet peeve - jerry cans don't pour gas worth a flip - most people just drag them around for show and then you need a wide mouth funnel to not spill. I used to race enduro, and we used steel cans with a screw in vent plug on the bottom so you could fillup quick. Now they have speed cans, but they are round and clunky.

I use Risk Racing 3 gal cans with a snap in base mount (chk Amazon?). I just bolt the base mount to my bumper when we are unsure of getting back on a tank. Yes p there's two holes in my bumper cover - who cares? Rest of the time I don't drag a can. And it can be padlocked.

I had an idea to bolt cans under the rear end, by the vacuum tank - but a ***** to get to in the mud...

When I finally break down and get a rear bumper, it'll be the Risk Racing cans. Don't much care for Rotopax - just don't like the way they look and clogs up your spare tire. But hey - you may love 'em!

#33 ·
#34 ·
I too have found the OE rack lacking in functionality. Being small I end up on the roof to access stuff. I'm not happy stepping on the load bars and someone else did the same and dented the roof. I love the look but even with the Baja Basket it's hard to load efficiently. (The back on the basket stops longer items sitting flat). About to swap for a Front Runner as I've got one coming over from South Africa saving a good bit of cost.

#44 ·

Yes, Man-e-Fre aux tank with gauge. I've had it a while and picked it up dirt cheap.
Compared to a swing out bumper with cans it is very similar in price, but with 2-3 times the capacity and less weight.

It doesn't have the same Overlander appearance... just performance, and I do not have clearance issues, many trails, many boulders bent skids to prove it, and tank is virtually un scathed. OEM tank is at more risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.