North West Region WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mt. Hood spots (Oregon)

Gonna head up to the mountain this week and would really like to go somewhere rather than Timberline Lodge. Just going with my wife and son to hang out and enjoy, not going boarding yet. Does anyone have any cool little places that might be off the beaten path a little bit but still able to get to with my FJ? It would be nice to have new scenery. Any input is appreciated.

~~Dark Pony~~
www.facebook.com/xcessivespeedz <---like us!
2007 FJ 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Mt. Hood spots (Oregon)

not too far off the beaten path or you'll end up like this guy

Have fun and be safe! Mt hood is a beautiful place

'08 Trail Teams FJ
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

LOL! That would be bad! I love Mt. Hood, and I agree it is beautiful!

~~Dark Pony~~
2007 FJ 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Forum Veteran

Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Brettnyt previously said: View Post
not too far off the beaten path or you'll end up like this guy

Have fun and be safe! Mt hood is a beautiful place
HA!!! Filmed up at Mt. Hood!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 PM

I grew up in Welches. Beautiful up there. Funny, when I was a kid all I wanted to do was get off that mountain, now I'm 28 and I find myself driving up there any spare moment I get.

So, I don't know what you want to do exactly, but if you're just wanting to go exploring around and stuff like that, there's a lot of places up there for that. I recommend Still Creek Road. It starts in Rhododendron, right off of 26 before the bridge just before the food and general/dairy queen, etc. It goes from there all the way up to Trillium Lake. Most likely the gate will be closed about 8 miles in, preventing you from getting all the way to the lake, but there are a lot of cool little spots along the way on both sides of the road. There's little river spots/waterfalls, camp sites, etc.

There is also Lolo Pass road in Zig Zag. Take it up about 7 miles or so until it splits right or left. If you go left it takes you all the way to Lost Lake (long drive and will be snowy for sure) if you go right it takes you over a little bridge and then some backroads around some camping sites and things like that. Kind of a cool little area.

Further East on 26 is a cool little road, I think it's road 36 ? It will be on the left hand side if you're going east and it's right before the highway takes a fairly hard right hand turn. If you go up that road, follow it all the way to the end (about 5 miles) and it will end up in a little parking lot/turn around area. Straight ahead of you will be a trail head that takes you about 600 feet or so to a really cool little waterfall. You'll also see that it splits off to the right and up a small hill. If you walk up that way a little bit, you'll come across a really cool old railroad bridge, and there is also a trail that goes god knows where, I don't know if you're a hiker or not. That "road" leading up to the bridge was the original highway before the new highway 26 was put in, it's pretty neat because you can see how old it is, and there are old concrete guardrails and stuff like that.

That's just a couple I can think of off the top of my head. There are a million little roads up there, and they're almost all really cool to explore. Basically any of the roads on the right or left of highway 26 once you get past The dairy queen in Rhododendron are cool to explore.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
6shooter previously said: View Post
I grew up in Welches. Beautiful up there. Funny, when I was a kid all I wanted to do was get off that mountain, now I'm 28 and I find myself driving up there any spare moment I get.

So, I don't know what you want to do exactly, but if you're just wanting to go exploring around and stuff like that, there's a lot of places up there for that. I recommend Still Creek Road. It starts in Rhododendron, right off of 26 before the bridge just before the food and general/dairy queen, etc. It goes from there all the way up to Trillium Lake. Most likely the gate will be closed about 8 miles in, preventing you from getting all the way to the lake, but there are a lot of cool little spots along the way on both sides of the road. There's little river spots/waterfalls, camp sites, etc.

There is also Lolo Pass road in Zig Zag. Take it up about 7 miles or so until it splits right or left. If you go left it takes you all the way to Lost Lake (long drive and will be snowy for sure) if you go right it takes you over a little bridge and then some backroads around some camping sites and things like that. Kind of a cool little area.

Further East on 26 is a cool little road, I think it's road 36 ? It will be on the left hand side if you're going east and it's right before the highway takes a fairly hard right hand turn. If you go up that road, follow it all the way to the end (about 5 miles) and it will end up in a little parking lot/turn around area. Straight ahead of you will be a trail head that takes you about 600 feet or so to a really cool little waterfall. You'll also see that it splits off to the right and up a small hill. If you walk up that way a little bit, you'll come across a really cool old railroad bridge, and there is also a trail that goes god knows where, I don't know if you're a hiker or not. That "road" leading up to the bridge was the original highway before the new highway 26 was put in, it's pretty neat because you can see how old it is, and there are old concrete guardrails and stuff like that.

That's just a couple I can think of off the top of my head. There are a million little roads up there, and they're almost all really cool to explore. Basically any of the roads on the right or left of highway 26 once you get past The dairy queen in Rhododendron are cool to explore.
Sweet! Thanks for the post....awesome! I'm basically wanting to go somewhere me and my wife can have like a nice winter picnic if you will...lol be a little romantic LOL. But I don't want to get stuck in a spot I don't know either.

~~Dark Pony~~
2007 FJ 4x4.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

Location: Where are you from? Oh that sucks, I'm from Oregon!
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thx 6shooter. I'm interested in this info as well.

2007 Black Fj Cruiser. Revenge Fab Winch Bumper. Smittybuilt XRC10. Revenge Fab Sliders. Uniden Pro 510 CB. Bandi Mount. Firestik II 4'. 60" Hi Lift Extreme. KC Daylighters. AXE/Shovel. Rugged Ridge Recovery Kit.
www.revenge-fab.com

Plan to add: BFG KM2 MT 285/70 r17, Revenge Fab Rear bumper with Jerry Can Holder. Skid Plates. 3" Suspension lift.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 07:07 PM

Cool. Yeah, let me know if you have any other questions about any of the areas up there. Those are just what I could rattle off before my hands got tired of typing.

Growing up up there, I know the mt. very well. Lots to see and do.

If anybody wants to go up there some time, I'd be down for a little fun. I don't have an FJ, but my little 91 4x4 does very well!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > North West Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in