Who Killed the Electric Car - Page 6 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Off-Topic Discussion This area is for discussion of off-topic related items. This area can be viewed by everyone so please keep it clean.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Who Killed the Electric Car

Well sadly someone is going to have an issue with any option. Hydro causes problems with fish and erosion, solar uses a lot of space, wind kills birds and no one wants a windmill in their back yard. Not to mention with the exception of hydro those are not consistent suppliers of power.
The biggest issue of nuclear plants is waste. Not just the fuel but regular irradiated waste. Anything that is deemed "contaminated" must be disposed of specially, I believe the last cost I head was something on the order of $1600 a cubic foot. Mind you I would eat some of this stuff for that price, the radiation emissions on it are so low. But then you have spent fuel. Normally plants store their own spent fuel for the life of the plant on premises. When the plant becomes decomissioned the fuel is typically moved to dry cask storage. These casks are designed to be neigh indestructible. They can survive in a pool of jet fuel for over 8 hours and not be comprimised. But I agree we need a good solution to storage of spent fuel, recyling is a start, but more issues need to be looked at. However keep in mind the biggest problem with fissil material isn't from nuke plants, but from the goverment at the weapons level. I understand completely people don't want these storage depots in their back yard, but also most people don't fully grasp just how important safety is to the industry. It is normal for most plants to go literally millions of man hours between osha recordable injuries.
Chernobyl could not ever happen here...period. The number of things that would have to go wrong are as likely as a cargo plane flying over your house accidently dropping an FJ on the way to the dealer onto your house. Is it possible? well sure...but come on.
I don't expect anyone to share my opinion, my only request is that people truly take the time to educate themselves fully. Don't trust either side of the argument completely. Find out for yourself, but don't be satisfied with one side.
I personally got into as a kid because my father worked with nuclear warheads in the Navy. In fact by the 10th grade I understood it well enough to make a model of little man. I was forbidden by my father to submit it to the science fair. hahaha

Kilted God of FJCCentral.com

Black Cherry "Molly"
AT, Conv. Pkg, Option pkg 2, Trail Gear sliders, ARB Bumper, All Pro Coil Overs w/resivoir, Hood Protector, Window Ventshades, PIAA 520 Driving Lights, Python Remote Start, Wet Okole seat covers

It's good to be God
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Forum Superstar

Lifetime Supporting Member

Not one person has mentioned my favorite - Hydrogen

BMW World - BMW Hydrogen Cars

Absolutely zero pollution. The only thing coming out of the tail pipe is water and oxygen.

Iceland is already well on their way to being a completely hydrogen society BBC News | SCI/TECH | Iceland launches energy revolution

Now sure there are still issues with producing hydrogen but it isn't any different then in the 1800's when people though the world would be blown up if an oil derrick caught fire.

If I had the money I'd have my FJ converted today. Hydrogen cars ready to roll — for a price - Green Machines - MSNBC.com

And the bonus for the automakers - they still make basically the same vehicle.

IMO Hydrogen is the way to go.
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 PM
fka JimmyHoops

Quote:
KD7NAC_07FJ previously said: View Post
Not one person has mentioned my favorite - Hydrogen

BMW World - BMW Hydrogen Cars

Absolutely zero pollution. The only thing coming out of the tail pipe is water and oxygen.

Iceland is already well on their way to being a completely hydrogen society BBC News | SCI/TECH | Iceland launches energy revolution

Now sure there are still issues with producing hydrogen but it isn't any different then in the 1800's when people though the world would be blown up if an oil derrick caught fire.

If I had the money I'd have my FJ converted today. Hydrogen cars ready to roll — for a price - Green Machines - MSNBC.com

And the bonus for the automakers - they still make basically the same vehicle.

IMO Hydrogen is the way to go.
Hydrogen still has issues because of the primary methods used to produce it for commercial use:

Producing Hydrogen (H2)

Although hydrogen (H2) is ubiquitous, it does
not exist by itself naturally, so it must be
separated out of substances such as water.
Hydrogen separation can be accomplished in
several ways. Heat can be used with chemicals
and water (thermochemical), or water can be
charged with an electric current (electrolysis) to
isolate H2. Some separation processes combine
heat and electricity (steam electrolysis). H2 can
also be produced by bacteria and algae as a
waste product.

Current hydrogen separation processes
use fossil fuels to raise the temperature enough
to separate H2 from either water or natural gas.
This process releases greenhouse gases whether
or not one is separating water or natural gas. But
additional carbon dioxide is also released into
the air as a by-product of natural gas separation.
Separation of water results only in oxygen by-
product.

Since CO2 is one of the gases
responsible for climate destruction, use of fossil
fuels in these separation processes is not
environmentally friendly. Therefore, while cars
running on H2 fuel would give us clean air in
one respect, producing the hydrogen would still
contribute to climate decimation. *

Just because the output is water does not automaticly make it a "green" alternative to burning fossil fuels. There are many sides to this argument. Hydrogen is a "green alternative" only if it can be produced without utilizing fossil fuels to do so. Personally, I'm glad that there is so much debate over creating a solution to fossil fuel emmissions. Hopefully, the auto industry can adopt a standard that satisfies both sides of the debate field.

*source: http://www.nirs.org/factsheets/hydrogenbynuclear.pdf

Have a question & need an answer? Do an "Advanced Search" and ye shall find: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...n-dummies.html

'07 FJ, VooDoo Blue, M/T6...mostly stock but beginning its metamorphosis into a expedition worthy rig.

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Check out the Quasiturbine it is some what like a wankel only better.

"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting
out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you
have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyways and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in