Re: What does "FJ" stand for? - Page 10 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Off-Topic Discussion This area is for discussion of off-topic related items. This area can be viewed by everyone so please keep it clean.

236Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2024 Post(s)
Re: What does "FJ" stand for?

Duh!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

In Memoriam: NYPD DAOS/NYS OIG #77 - and all of our fallen LEO's!

Pancreatic Cancer - want to learn ALL about the tests to detect it? Well, so would I...so would I!

Freedom isn't free...thank you Veterans!
9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!
R.I.P. SEATTLE MIKE - JOE S. - VINNY D. - ROBOTUSSIN! - Thank you St. Anthony!

God Bless America!

Last edited by Mikey D.; 01-20-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Oh my...

M&M, I know you're catching a lot of grief, but that may have more to do with the way you presented your Topic as opposed to the real question you had...Not to mention you pretty much dissed everyone on the FJ forum trying to pose it. I'm sure that wasn't your intent, and you probably thought it would be seen as you did, humorous...but next time maybe you might want to just get down to the nut of your question (assuming you choose to post again).

Now with respect to the Wagoneer vs the FJ: Give your wife some credit for looking over the fence at some greener grass. Frankly, I've had quite bit of time driving Jeep products in the jungles of Central America, and those were the "improved versions" not the Willys of WWII. As a result I wouldn't touch a Jeep with a 10' pole after my own experiences. In fact there are so many of them in Central America not because of performance but because the used market dumps them there fro pennies on the dollar...Hmmm come to think of it I'd suggest she may be pretty business savvy too...check the re-sale value of an FJ vs that of a Jeep. Forbes quotes FJ's as retaining 91.5% of (their) original value after three years...Jeep models do that well? I mean even if you end up hating it you're not going to be burned.

My wife loves her FJ, so much so I hardly get to drive it; she drives in the dark two times a day over some really nasty nasty roads and in some very "less than ideal" conditions, particularly in the winter here in NorCal. Her FJ became such a topic of conversation that the Jeep owners at her work traded theirs in for FJ's (before they stopped making them). There's now a group of about six that all park in the "FJ Lot" lol...

I just have to comment about Jeeps and "winning a war". My dad made the military his career (Africa, D-Day, Bastogne, Germany, Korea, 2x VietNam). He told me that in his experience and opinion they (all three makers versions) basically were a pain in the ass. This was when I wanted an old '43 "Willys" I'd seen for sale so bad I could taste it...Now I'm glad he convinced me otherwise (I bought a '48 Harley Panhead instead). I'd also point out that the name"Jeep" was likely picked up by the public at large as the result of a cartoon character in Popeye cartoons of the 30's and 40's...but in fairness the popular etymology is that it had to with Fords designation of "GP" in its test models...I'll simply say that my mother, one of the first women in the WAC's during WWII and one who served in London during the blitz, confirmed the cartoon character story to me when my dad and I were talking about his experiences.

As to you original question What does "FJ" stand for in the Toyota FJ Cruiser? well click that link and you'll see that it refers to the chassis designation as used by Toyota for the early Toyota FJ40 Land Cruisers. There is also a pretty complimentary description of those old dogs' reputation. I loved my buddy's FJ40...a total rock.

I'm a complete (but old) newbie here, I got no ego involved in stating that fact. I'll simply say that the folks here have been nothing but kind and helpful to me with my recent questions. Anyway "Welcome" and maybe start from scratch and ask your real question again with no preconceived notions...

Last edited by FJGATO; 01-20-2016 at 03:25 PM.
post #93 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I know we've thoroughly beaten the dead horse by now, but I'll get on my soap box for this one.

I like how I've been labeled unAmerican for driving Toyotas now. It was not very American of me to serve from 2000 to 2004, parachuting into both Afghanistan and Iraq, running numerous missions over there including being part of the first retaliation snatch and grab after 9/11. Giving my hard earned money to Wounded Warrior Project, Special Operations Warrior Foundation, Oakley's Infinite Hero Foundation every year. And especially not very American of me to pull that jeep wrangler out of the ditch during an ice storm with my FJ because I was joy riding and saw tail lights in the ditch.

So I guess I'm as unAmerican as you get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The problem with quotes from the internet is it is hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

2013 TT - stock.
post #94 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to shack

If being American means driving a jeep like yours, I'll gladly be any other nationality. Holy SH!T man... did you lose a bet or something? That thing is fugly.
Mikey D. likes this.
post #95 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

FJ - F*** you J****

When you are on the side of the road I'll be more than happy to flip you the bird on my way by.
Unphazed1337 likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #96 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ummm... the list goes on and on... had several jeeps, 1 FJ... guess which I still have... If you have any questions, go to your local auto parts store and have them pull a front wheel bearing for any jeep and any FJ, Tacoma, 4Runner Etc. I replaced the wheel bearings on my 230xxx mile 4runner's because I had a vibration that I couldn't find. Easily twice the size of my neighbors wrangler. Oh, how many 200xxx mile jeeps have you ever seen.
Attached Images

Unphazed1337 likes this.

Last edited by spoon1138; 01-20-2016 at 09:04 PM.
post #97 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 09:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)

My buddy has an 08 wrangler and he's suffering the "Jeep" thing that I don't understand. He puts on less than 5k miles a year and has had to rebuild rear brakes including the emergency brake mechanism and had to replace the intake manifold gaskets this year so far. Loving my "fake jeep".
post #98 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Kyle9357 previously said: View Post
This guy seems like the kind of guy that would also buy a mustang and automatically think it's the best sports car on the planet just because of where it came from.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

They are.. Love the 2015 GT!!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 Iceberg AT
Custom Tube Bumper
315/75r16
post #99 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 06:00 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
FJ Cruiser Matt previously said: View Post
They are.. Love the 2015 GT!!!!
Poor misguided boy... It's a "muscle" car, not a sports car. Not by a long shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_car

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in