The Forum VS. Facebook - Page 5 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Off-Topic Discussion This area is for discussion of off-topic related items. This area can be viewed by everyone so please keep it clean.

571Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 05:35 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage
Re: The Forum VS. Facebook

Quote:
Irving Zisman previously said: View Post
"Facebook in particular is the most appalling spying machine that has ever been invented. Here we have the world's most comprehensive database about people, their relationships, their names, their addresses, their locations and the communications with each other, their relatives, all sitting within the United States, all accessible to U.S. intelligence." - Julian Assange

I have never had a Facebook account and never will.
NSA has it all already... Ray Bradbury saw this tech slavery coming years ago...
Hannibal and FatJohnson like this.

Dec 2017 member of the month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Facebook = No bueno
FJCRUISERFORUMS = Muy bueno
BOBTAILFJ, FJess, debFJVT and 5 others like this.

Alan
- Primer at Imogene Pass 13,114'
2013 TT SE
BMC / Exp-1 Rear Bumper with Swing Arm / PIAA 5190's front, and rear bumpers / King Rear Rem Res W/Ride Cntrl / MT lower links / ICON Front Extended Travel Coil Overs / TC UCA's / SCS F-5 wheels / 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs / Shrockworks Front Bumper / Warn 9.5xp / sPOD / Kenwood DNX890HD / Lots of RAAMaudio sound deadening / WickedCAS PODS / Focal PC 165's / Focal IC 690's / Arc Audio Black 10V2 / JL Audio HD900/5 / All Pro HD Sliders and Al IFS Skid Plate / ARB CKMTA12 / Rear SCUBA / Hella Supertones / Dirty Deeds Hi Tuck Tailpipe / FJToymanOffroad Skids / Redline Skids / I seem to have run out of characters...

Last edited by Primer; 01-18-2018 at 07:05 PM.
post #43 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
FatJohnson previously said: View Post
Again, the guy that came up with the idea of Facebook regrets it...I opted out of Facebook long before it became publicly know as a CIA tool. Forums are my social media.
You had no opt out. I'm pretty sure you were out of college by then . The original idea was for college students to network (as @tsfarling mentioned you needed a college .edu e-mail) and people to share their class info so they could meet. It hasn't changed much with everyone saying everyone shares everything. Well at one point it was college kids showing dumb stuff and now it's just the whole world showing dumb stuff in everyday life.

Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
One old mod insisted that this forum was dead, everything and anything that can be done to an FJC has been done and that there will never be anything new to discuss. Do any of you agree with that statement?

Honest question to @jamesepoop please enlighten us as to how you think things should loosen up a little. We're dealing with folks that want to sell an item for no profit and not become a paid Supporting Vendor (SV). We take things up the chain of command so that we can evolve and improve the experience for all. These things take place in the backroom in the Admin/Mod Chat area. In case you guys didn't know, yes there is one. We've placed mods all around the world to combat the spammers 24/7 as best and as quickly that we can.

..We had another mod that wanted all OFF & OFF OFF Topic sections deleted. Narrow it down to strictly FJ talk and that's it. Do you agree with that? I for one did not. Politics were strictly forbidden, and now we have that back thanks to Winterpeg.
While I don't agree that the forum is dead, it certainly is slow(er) than other forums. Maybe it's just something we'll have to deal with as there is no new model FJ and we have a limited demographic/audience. Reading back on older threads, I think that plenty of "firsts" and adventurous minds have moved on from the FJ so I guess there has been many aspects of the FJ explored, but there's always new stuff to try and money to spend so who knows . There's many innovative people on here, but they're not rushing out to make it some kind of business idea, so I think the "competitive spirit" is kind of lost to create new things. Hence why we don't necessarily need name brands and huge vendors all the time. I'd rather support the small business guys and local fabrication shops when I can.

I understand that there's the chain of command. I'm just pointing out that I have to refer group buys elsewhere because it does seem overly tight over here. For example, we have Icon and Radflo as suspension vendors. Yet they're not really pushing any product on here. We might have one or two post interactions here and there. I see that they're a supporting vendor but none of their products interest me. I'd rather push products that are innovating and doing something new, for example, some people were discussing the new Bilstein 8112 which uses internal bypass valves. So say I was interested in setting up a group buy, is that something allowed (even at no profit but obviously has to go through a dealer) just so everyone can get in on a discount? My thought is that no matter, I'm going to get XYZ brand suspension and it may not necessarily be from an SV brand, but why limit everyone else to just what an SV is marketing (or lack thereof)?

..Thanks @Winterpeg for supporting a free speech internet (not exactly sure what to call it). I don't care about politics much but to limit someone from wanting to talk about it is silly. I can just ignore it, but if it's there, I don't mind discussing it.
Hannibal, Joabmc, Thorn661 and 2 others like this.
post #44 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage

Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb ****s
Thorn661 and FatJohnson like this.

Alan
- Primer at Imogene Pass 13,114'
2013 TT SE
BMC / Exp-1 Rear Bumper with Swing Arm / PIAA 5190's front, and rear bumpers / King Rear Rem Res W/Ride Cntrl / MT lower links / ICON Front Extended Travel Coil Overs / TC UCA's / SCS F-5 wheels / 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs / Shrockworks Front Bumper / Warn 9.5xp / sPOD / Kenwood DNX890HD / Lots of RAAMaudio sound deadening / WickedCAS PODS / Focal PC 165's / Focal IC 690's / Arc Audio Black 10V2 / JL Audio HD900/5 / All Pro HD Sliders and Al IFS Skid Plate / ARB CKMTA12 / Rear SCUBA / Hella Supertones / Dirty Deeds Hi Tuck Tailpipe / FJToymanOffroad Skids / Redline Skids / I seem to have run out of characters...
post #45 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2399 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post

I understand that there's the chain of command. I'm just pointing out that I have to refer group buys elsewhere because it does seem overly tight over here. For example, we have Icon and Radflo as suspension vendors. Yet they're not really pushing any product on here. We might have one or two post interactions here and there. I see that they're a supporting vendor but none of their products interest me. I'd rather push products that are innovating and doing something new, for example, some people were discussing the new Bilstein 8112 which uses internal bypass valves. So say I was interested in setting up a group buy, is that something allowed (even at no profit but obviously has to go through a dealer) just so everyone can get in on a discount? My thought is that no matter, I'm going to get XYZ brand suspension and it may not necessarily be from an SV brand, but why limit everyone else to just what an SV is marketing (or lack thereof)?
If there is no current vendor selling that particular product a group buy MAY be arranged by a member.

Contact a Mod or Admin for the green light. This is on a case by case basis as well.

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post

..Thanks @Winterpeg for supporting a free speech internet (not exactly sure what to call it). I don't care about politics much but to limit someone from wanting to talk about it is silly. I can just ignore it, but if it's there, I don't mind discussing it.
I'm not really big on censorship so I made a proposal to the Moderator team and we all decided to give it a shot. If it went sideways the political section would get removed.

A thank you should be given to the general membership for keeping personal attacks out of it and behaving like adults.

FJess, Hannibal, amaclach and 5 others like this.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
post #46 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage

I donít do Facebook! Thereís never been any attraction of it for me. Maybe my age has something to do with it. Some friends my age do it to keep up with family doings. I find the phone or text works best for me. Iím really slow texting though. I like this FJ Forum the best over all the FJ forums I use. Great info here. Not a fan of the liberal advertisements here though.
Joabmc likes this.

NWFJCC #2007-14
TLCA #18092

FJ CRUISER (Hammer of the Honky Tonk Gods)

2008 FJ Cruiser (Trigger) Born 07/07
1996 T100 SR5 (Crimson Floyd)) Born 06/96 Totaled 11/01/2018
1986 Hilux 4x4 Longbed (Gutless Wonder) SOLD
1976 FJ40 SOLD (Ol'76)
post #47 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)

Deleted for irrelevancy....
BOBTAILFJ, debFJVT, Joabmc and 2 others like this.

Last edited by NW FJC; 01-20-2018 at 10:37 AM.
post #48 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Garage

Ate a pork chop for dinner and had nice applesauce too...

Oh, What a feeling...
post #49 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:35 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 2081 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
fabricgator previously said: View Post
Ate a pork chop for dinner and had nice applesauce too...
Exactly Thx for the demo
Thorn661 and FatJohnson like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #50 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

If the government proposed collecting/parsing/dissecting your every action 24/7 people would go nuts yet Facebook/Google do it. I know many who think "who am I, just a voice in the wilderness" but no one gets overlooked by a computer algorithm...when humans did the tracking they had to limit themselves to people of interest but computers don't. Like to go 4-wheeling? Like to drink beer? Like to engage in a bit of desktop drag racing? Look at nudies? It's all in your profile safely stored away. I truly fear for my children in ways I cannot imagine.
debFJVT and FatJohnson like this.

2014 TTUE...just keeping her stock

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in