Fix up the FJ or get Polaris RZR? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Other vehicle discussion Non-FJC talk...

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Fix up the FJ or get Polaris RZR?

Title says it all plus, some weather gear for riding an RZR in all weather/season conditions. Which one would you pick?

Cool vid of RZR (heavily modified) if you're not sure what it is.

Moab Junky and 81N4RY like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 06:54 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7039 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Fix up the FJ or get Polaris RZR?

I definitely buy the Rzr since then I could fly off wooden jumps in the woods and leap logging trucks in a single bound without the many years of practice and learning how to drive like that.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
I definitely buy the Rzr since then I could fly off wooden jumps in the woods and leap logging trucks in a single bound without the many years of practice and learning how to drive like that.
Problem solved! These guys can get you started or buy a Buick. Passive aggressive/sarcastic comments will be met with the same.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)

Wow, crazy video. I can see me in that thing. I'd prolly wrap it around the first tree I came to and total it. Later, when I woke up in the hospital, where an ugly nurse was picking pine tree splinters out of my beaten and battered body, I would be thinking that investing that cash into my FJ would have been the right thing to do.

Good luck with your decision.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 07:45 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Garage

I thought about a Ranger because I can't fit in the Rzr especially with those bolstered seats. I'd use it to explore when out camping, make runs to town, and I could leave the house and be out in the desert in just a couple of miles. I thought the same thing about saving the miles and stuff on the Tundra. Then I looked at what would be needed to get a Ranger. First would be the purchase price and it would probably be new as there are very few used ones anywhere near me. The ones I have found were several years old and in rough shape. Then there is the maintenance costs, tires, oil changes, etc. Toss in insurance and license as we can license them for the roads here and also a BLM sticker for the trail systems here and one for the Forest Service and then whatever ones are needed for UT since I'd be done there too. I would need a trailer of some kind and the insurance on it. I'm looking at a cargo conversion for a camper so I can put a recliner in it since I can't sleep in a regular bed anymore with my back so that would work for hauling a Ranger. I'd just have to buy one a bit bigger than I planned. I'd also have to have a place to store it. I could leave it in the trailer most of the time, but say it's winter and I want to camp but it's way to windy and cold to ride, I'd have to have a place to park it while I was gone.

I came to the conclusion that for me it would be nice, but it probably wouldn't be the best option. I can take the truck out pretty much everywhere I want to go and I can do it whether it's nice, snowy, cold, or rainy. I've got heat and a/c. I can carry my Engel with drinks and lunch along with tools, survival gear, first aid, extra gas, a BBQ, etc. I can bring my cameras and lenses without worrying about them getting dusty or wet and I can lock them in the truck and leave them instead of having to bring them in with me every time I park. I can carry and lock up my guns and ammo. If something did happen I can and would much rather sit out the situation in the truck vs a Ranger. So it would be fun to have one, but just not the sensible and best thing for me.

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)

I'm with you BIGGUY , It's one thing to haul the razor out to the dunes or desert for fun. But when you start to overland in it then you have to equip it out. I'd rather take the FJ and choose the wider trails. You can make owning both work, but it is just that, more work.

Hope you are doing well Sir.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:15 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Moab Junky previously said: View Post
I'm with you BIGGUY , It's one thing to haul the razor out to the dunes or desert for fun. But when you start to overland in it then you have to equip it out. I'd rather take the FJ and choose the wider trails. You can make owning both work, but it is just that, more work.

Hope you are doing well Sir.
Yep that's just it, you have to set it up anyways so I'll just pass. I can use that $20K for the Tundra or gas or whatever along the way.

I'm doing okay. Bunch of doctors appointments last week. I'm getting slightly worse now. My eyes got a tiny bit better though. Two new drugs to take now too. I just take it day by day.
Moab Junky likes this.

TLCA #9031
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Garage

"Professional driver on a closed course"
I doubt anyone really tries all that. I wouldn't but it would still be a h3ll of a lot of fun.
If I went half that fast it would be dangerous, but looks like a total blast.

Taken for what it is, totally worth the money. If you can afford it. It's a toy. It's not meant to replace a truck.
If you are worried about maintenance costs or if you have to decide where to spend your money here or there, you're not the target audience for this machine.

Pause it at 3:37 and 3:38 you will see when he slides over the logs, he bends the lower suspension arm (it says Holz on it).

LSSC
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 09:25 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage

@fjen This is right up your alley. What do you think?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)

They are a nice other trail rig

Pros:
Cushy ride
Excellent handling
Reliable if not abused
Comfortable for 4 if you get the four seater
Fun factor of 10 in the right conditions
Fast on the trail if the rocks aren't over 12"
Stable climbers, see Hells Gate videos of the four seaters making the climb
~12" of travel

Cons:
Dust everywhere including eyes, nose, and any other orifice open
12" of clearance which is not much in the big rocks
Radiator in front puts out a lot of heat on floorboard and dash, nice if cold out, hotter than he// at 90F ambient
Loud engine noise, going a steady 20 MPH the motor is at 4500 RPM
Belt drive, what was wrong with the old 5 speed transmission, belts wear fast
Every mod is at minimum 300
Did I mention they are a dusty ride if it is dry?
Trailer needed if going very far but 20 miles is not far because they are stable on the road at 50 MPH
Dust sucks

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Other vehicle discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in