Any BMW folks on here? - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Other vehicle discussion Non-FJC talk...

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Re: Any BMW folks on here?

Love german engineering when it works, sucks when it doesnt haha. My neighbor owns and runs a BMW shop so I have some insight. Bro in law just bought a used X5, the e brake wasnt working. Found out the cable was wound up against the spare tire becuase the e brake motor is broken, new motor 500 bucks. Rear shocks slowly compress (air shocks) after car is turned off, the built the pump and everything into the shock. Shocks are couple grand. As stated they are fun cars but be prepared to bend over when need just parts alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

A well maintained Toyota or Honda will run forever, a well maintained BMW just breaks a little less often but it still breaks. An inspection would catch major issues, but even fixing the little stuff on these cars is expensive.

A very frugal buddy of mine stuck to BMW's for 15 years, because his brother in law is a BMW master technician and only charges him wholesale for parts, labor is free. Want to know what he drives now? A Honda Accord.

Look into the Lexus IS350, specifically the 2010-2013 models.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. This isn't a long term investment. Only looking to keep it a few years and get rid of it. The Lexus is out of my price range for the intended use though. I wasn't really impressed by the IS.
I'm looking at the coupe, but I still want a 4 seater so a Miata or S2000 wouldn't work. They are great cars but not what I'm looking for.

I did see that the new IS350 outperformed the 3-series in testing that's great. I'll probably look at getting a CPO in a few years.

I'm going to trade in our RX, which has a lot of equity, so I won't have much at all in this car for what it is. Probably have it paid off in two years. Kinda like taking a break for a few years. Lol!
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
moodywizard previously said: View Post
Love german engineering when it works, sucks when it doesnt haha. My neighbor owns and runs a BMW shop so I have some insight. Bro in law just bought a used X5, the e brake wasnt working. Found out the cable was wound up against the spare tire becuase the e brake motor is broken, new motor 500 bucks. Rear shocks slowly compress (air shocks) after car is turned off, the built the pump and everything into the shock. Shocks are couple grand. As stated they are fun cars but be prepared to bend over when need just parts alone.

Yeah, not a fan of the X3 or X5. That's why I have the FJ.

Owned a few Volkswagens back in the day, so I'm used the needy stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 01:00 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Garage

My old '06 325i = MONEY PIT
I wouldn't buy a used BMW ... ever.
FatJohnson likes this.

2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black
AT 4x4 w/ CRAWL. Kenwood eXcelon HU w/German Maestro Sound "Life is a beach"

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered." George Best
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

agree with a lot said about upkeep and complexity having owned an '07 328xi MT.

Other problem I had was finding a non xi in the NE where everybody is afraid to leave their driveway if they see a snowflake.

You'll love the handling and feel of a RWD 328 if you can find one.

My 328XI was comfortable but as a sporting ride it was a heavy nosed pushing pig
Joabmc likes this.
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 06:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage

I'm currently sitting about 30ft away from the assembly line where BMWs are being made...lol.

They are good cars but like anything else it needs to be maintained to stay reliable. If you can find one with a record of its service history, it should be just as reliable as any other vehicle. If it's just going to be a "summer vehicle" I don't think I would opt for the x-drive. A lot of the employees here order x-drive vehicles when winter rolls around but during the summer we opt for RWD, they are generally a little better on fuel economy and more fun

-Nick

post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

My 06 325i was certified preowned. I drove it for 5 years then traded it on the FJ. It was under warranty the whole time. That makes it a lot more fun!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Xx_Black-out previously said: View Post

They are good cars but like anything else it needs to be maintained to stay reliable. If you can find one with a record of its service history, it should be just as reliable as any other vehicle. If it's just going to be a "summer vehicle" I don't think I would opt for the x-drive. D

It will get some winter driving but when the weather gets bad, that's what the FJ is for. I don't use the FJ as a DD. I bought it for the woods and use my work rig for 90% of my driving.
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:07 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Garage

The AWD vs. RWD probably comes down to personal preference and where you live. Mine has to drive down a few miles of dirt roads to reach pavement so, I like having the AWD (and, it's surprisingly good on dirt roads as long as you are careful not to hit potholes). Also, if you are not planning to track it, I'm not sure if you'd notice much difference if you are just driving it "spirited but responsible".
Joabmc likes this.
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
sdennie previously said: View Post
If you find one that's been very well maintained, they can be really fun toys even with 100k miles. If you find one that hasn't been well maintained, be prepared to drop a ton of extra cash on day one.
I would second this. I had an 08 325xi that I loved and babied and treated like a metal queen, but I will tell you, BMW mechs charge so much because they CAN. I spent money hand over fist and that was still with me doing a lot of maint myself - I don't mean just end user stuff, I mean like breaking down the engine, removing valves, lifters, timing chains, axles, fuel pump, radiator, oil pump, ignition coils, etc etc...you get the point. Its $$$ and even if you do it yourself you are pumping in cash. And the thing is, its not actually "fun" to work on. FJs are fun to work on because its a choice and a way to customize them - other than stock, no two are really alike. Maint on a BMW is a pain in the ass and not fun at all. You cant even mod them.

That and its an entirely different animal than the FJ. I got rid of my BMW because I was tired of getting DOWN into a vehicle and I needed something to get UP into. its completely different and I cannot imagine going back. Sure its zippy and sporty and quick and whatever...but...no. just no. It was my first "dream car"...but then I grew up.
Joabmc likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Other vehicle discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in