Any BMW folks on here? - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Other vehicle discussion Non-FJC talk...

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Any BMW folks on here?

I actually traded in a '07 328i on my FJ in December. I bought it with 64k and it had somewhere around 150k when I traded it in. I still loved it, the car was so much fun to drive and it handled and drove smoother than a lot of much newer and lower mile cars. (FJ included, but were comparing apples to oranges.)

I wouldn't be scared at all to buy another one, the only things that broke were:
1.) Water pump and thermostat, $400. Not sure which went but I just replaced both at that time
2.) Fuel Line Air Pump. About $160 for the part, 15 minute replacement
3.) A/C/Heater blower regulator, $90

They really aren't as scary to work on as people think. I'm no expert mechanic, but I was able to do all those jobs plus the regular maintenance like oil changes, headlight bulbs, brakes, spark plugs and shocks myself.

All that being said, I was a little scared that I was biding my time with something major coming. All those things are easy to work on, but an engine or tranny problem and I would be in over my head fast. That's why I decided to trade it in. I would love to have another one and still have my FJ (which I love for so many other reasons!). Also, throw a set of winter treads on there and the thing was REALLY impressive in the snow.

Hope this helps, just my $.02

J
gaylonw, sdennie and Joabmc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
smoking_rubber previously said: View Post
My old '06 325i = MONEY PIT
I wouldn't buy a used BMW ... ever.
I would not buy a BMW new without the long term warranty and the zero maintenance package.
They are a money pit.
The Lexus F Sport option makes a big difference in the handling and performance of my wife's RX.
If you look at the F Sport in any of the models where it is offered the Lexus will handle and perform more like a comparable BMW model.
The price will be comparable, the running cost will be unbelievably lower, and the resale equity will be dramatically higher.
That said, I would rather drive a FJ or 2 any day!....Gm

TLCA # 20795
2018 Lexus LX570
2018 Jeep JK Rubicon Recon
2014 FJ TTUE- 1 of 2500
1994 Mustang Cobra Indy Pace Car Convertible 5.0 (Stock)
1986 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab Longbed 5.0 (Stock)
1982 Jeep CJ7 Limited Edition (Stock)
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo Convertible (Stock)
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:56 PM
FMC

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I have a BMW motorcycle.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, silver TRD (Traded)
2014 TTUE
2001 Tundra SR5 4wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
capodecina previously said: View Post
That and its an entirely different animal than the FJ. I got rid of my BMW because I was tired of getting DOWN into a vehicle and I needed something to get UP into. its completely different and I cannot imagine going back. Sure its zippy and sporty and quick and whatever...but...no. just no. It was my first "dream car"...but then I grew up.
I dunno. One of the things I find amusing about driving a 3-series with the sport suspension is that the car doesn't look lowered but, if you pull up next to a Camry (or something like that), your eyes are WAY below the door handles of that car. A 3-series is a proper sports car with a deceptively sedan styling. It's certainly not everyones cup of tea but, as I've said before, it's a fun nice weather car and I think it's an excellent compliment to an FJ.
Joabmc likes this.
post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage

I've had two. If you are mechanically handy, no sweat. They are typically easy to work on if you need to. Two things, water pump failed in both around 70k (replace with metal impeller 45 min fix) and the expansion tank failed in both at 120k (easy fix with Chapstick on connectors 20 min fix). Like the others said, there are many forums, take advantage of them. I ended up trading mine at about 180k still very solid reliable vehicles.
post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 10:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
gaylonw previously said: View Post
I would not buy a BMW new without the long term warranty and the zero maintenance package.
They are a money pit.
The Lexus F Sport option makes a big difference in the handling and performance of my wife's RX.
If you look at the F Sport in any of the models where it is offered the Lexus will handle and perform more like a comparable BMW model.
The price will be comparable, the running cost will be unbelievably lower, and the resale equity will be dramatically higher.
That said, I would rather drive a FJ or 2 any day!....Gm
The thread isn't about a 2016 BMW though. It's about a 2009 BMW. That generation overlaps with the original IS300 (and maybe the first IS250/350/F).

The IS300 was basically a 4 door Supra (effectively identical engine to the Supra) and it was a glorious vehicle. You could modify them to the point that they made 1000+ horsepower. You could tweak the suspension to your hearts desire. Hell, I even took the LSD out of an 86-ish Supra and put it in the rear diff of my IS300 (Which, now that I think about it, might be the same as the FJ diff).

Considering the direction that cars are going, the IS300 is, and probably will forever be, the best IS model ever made. I had one, I modified the crap out of it. I loved it. I'd rather drive my bone stock 2006 330xi.
Joabmc likes this.
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

Ive owned many cars in the last 10 years, audis, minis, and nothing drove like my bmw 128i. It was absolutely sureal to drive. 6 speed, light, bmw sport exhaust...sigh. Point is that car had the same inline 6 engine as the car you are looking at. Its a fantatsic bulletproof engine with outstanding driving characteristsics. My bmw was reliable up until my lease ended. I planned to buy it after but we had a baby and along came the FJ (the 128i is a 2 door small coupe).

You want it, get it. If not, then don't. Life is too short to not own a bmw at least once.
gaylonw and Joabmc like this.
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all of the feedback folks. I'm pretty confident I'm going to to buy this as the price is right where I want to be. It's been very well maintained and all records check. I had a BMW tech run the VIN yesterday and she's clean. I won't have much into it. I'm used to and have worked on most of my vehicles for the past 27 years. I'd love to have a M and a RWD drive but we live in the NE and that really isn't feasible for my wife. The AWD is a piece of mind for her when the weather gets bad when she needs to commute for work or is somewhere and the weather shifts. I haven't owned a "car" 2WD since 1998. It's been a long long time and we thought it would be fun to switch things up for a few years. A convertible would be fun but we still have one child at home and I'd probably be arrested for toting him around in the trunk! So the 4 seater coupe is sort of a compromise for now. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm only looking to hold on to it for a few years. We don't put many miles on our vehicles. I've had the FJ since '14 and have only put 10K on it. A hard 10K haha! She's had the Lexus for 5 years and has put a little over 50K on it. She loves driving the FJ when the roads are bad in the winter and feels confident and secure in it. The bimmer will be for fare weather days and summer driving. She's the one winning here come to think of it. She'll have two vehicles to choose from every morning when she leaves for work! Both will be enjoyable to drive in their element. If the BMW gets temperamental, it'll will be gone without hesitation. I'd like to enjoy it for a little while though.
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
sdennie previously said: View Post
I have a 2006 330xi that I use for a summer car. They are amazing cars to drive but, you need to be really careful about buying them used. They aren't like Toyotas where you basically just change the oil and drive it. Little things break or need to be replaced as regular maintenance and can sometimes be expensive. It's bizarre to say this but, if you look at the carfax and see that it's had a lot of small repairs/replacements at the dealership, that's probably a good thing. It means the owner has properly serviced it and you are less likely to have a million little things that should be done on day one.

I've had mine for a year and put about 3k miles on it (Odometer just hit 100k). No issues at all and it looks and drives like it just rolled out of the factory. However, I got lucky and found the most OCD car owner I've ever met and she had kept a detailed log book of every tiny thing done to the car and the reason why (Repairs, maintenance, gas station visits, etc).

If you find one that's been very well maintained, they can be really fun toys even with 100k miles. If you find one that hasn't been well maintained, be prepared to drop a ton of extra cash on day one.
I had a 3 series for 5 years and my experience was EXACTLY the same. Little things break all the time. My biggest problem was after three years the right rear window motor burned out. Cost a fortune to fix and had to because the damn thing wouldn't close!
Joabmc likes this.
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

somebody mentioned that you wouldn't notice the difference if you track the car.

Couldn't disagree more.

I've got 50+ hours on the track in my 911 and have pushed my 328xi on the street pretty hard.

The AWD will get you comfortable quicker but once you're ready for some serious speed work you'll wish you didn't have it.

The extra weight slows turn in and when you try to slide the car at all the front wheels have a mind of their own because of the driver nannies.

Ask someone who has driven in anger at Watkins Glen about how a 328xi would handle "the toe"

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Other vehicle discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in