Any BMW folks on here? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Other vehicle discussion Non-FJC talk...

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Any BMW folks on here?

I'm looking to buy a 09 328I xDrive coupe for a summer car. Anyone with with any experience with these before I sign the papers. Total infatuation right now as I've always wanted a 3 series and this checks all of the boxes. Just thought I'd throw it out here to see if there were any other enthusiasts.
And no, the FJ isn't going anywhere! This is nothing more than a fun car to play on the pavement with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Re: Any BMW folks on here?

Gasp.....Gross....No.....
Papa Dragon likes this.

>>>>>>>>>>2010armygreens slow build<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>ArmyGreens M416 Build<<<<<<<<

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer
Maggiolina Grand Tour Roof Top Tent

Last edited by 2010armygreen; 03-02-2016 at 10:37 PM.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2955 Post(s)
Garage

I have a MINI Cooper S at home if that counts.
I have zero desire for a 3 series (I'd rather put pins in my eyes). Cooper S though - that's some serious pavement fun.
FatJohnson likes this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:52 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Garage

I have a 2006 330xi that I use for a summer car. They are amazing cars to drive but, you need to be really careful about buying them used. They aren't like Toyotas where you basically just change the oil and drive it. Little things break or need to be replaced as regular maintenance and can sometimes be expensive. It's bizarre to say this but, if you look at the carfax and see that it's had a lot of small repairs/replacements at the dealership, that's probably a good thing. It means the owner has properly serviced it and you are less likely to have a million little things that should be done on day one.

I've had mine for a year and put about 3k miles on it (Odometer just hit 100k). No issues at all and it looks and drives like it just rolled out of the factory. However, I got lucky and found the most OCD car owner I've ever met and she had kept a detailed log book of every tiny thing done to the car and the reason why (Repairs, maintenance, gas station visits, etc).

If you find one that's been very well maintained, they can be really fun toys even with 100k miles. If you find one that hasn't been well maintained, be prepared to drop a ton of extra cash on day one.
smoking_rubber and Joabmc like this.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:24 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

It will take a bit more tlc than your FJ.

The good thing is that there are pretty active BMW forums that have all the preventative stuff you should look into doing as well as all the DIY guides to do those things.

That being said so long as all the preventative stuff is looked after it is a pretty solid car overall. And the driving experience makes it worth it. I'd try to look into getting a 335 for the extra power. Or one of the last V8 M3's if you can swing it. (If you do get an M3... Consider doing the rod bearings for piece of mind... The rest of the car is really solid though)

I've got an e90 M3 (the one with a fully analogue V8 soundtrack connected to a mania trans in a small 4 door body). Got it at 38,000 miles and now 40,000 miles later it hasn't given me any issues. I just stay on top of the maintenance and take care of all the preventative stuff. It's my fun weekend car and track car. Recently did a 2,000 mile SoCal to Portland and back down the coast roadtrip which was nothing short of epic.
Joabmc likes this.

Last edited by PandaFJ; 03-02-2016 at 11:27 PM.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the input. I am aware of the maintenance issues and have been lurking on the bimmer forums. I've always liked them and have always had a sweet spot for them. I guess it's kinda Jeep owners. They know there is going to be trouble right off the lot but just can't help themselves! It's too much fun to drive.

The service records are legit, and all done buy the dealer. It has 54K on it which is fairly low mileage for the year. And it is the sport package which I like.

I'd love to have an M3 but it's not in the budget. And I've read where the 335s can be more prone to trouble.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 05:19 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)

Everything that I have heard indicates that the BMW will eat you alive with running costs.
Lots of issues and nothing is cheap!!
I have also heard that BWM stands for *****, Wine and Moan- I think it has to do with the cost per mile!
Buy a Lexus, you wont be sorry!....gm
FatJohnson likes this.

TLCA # 20795
2018 Lexus LX570
2018 Jeep JK Rubicon Recon
2014 FJ TTUE- 1 of 2500
1994 Mustang Cobra Indy Pace Car Convertible 5.0 (Stock)
1986 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab Longbed 5.0 (Stock)
1982 Jeep CJ7 Limited Edition (Stock)
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo Convertible (Stock)
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 05:54 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

I've had an 06 325i that was awesome but traded it in on the FJ when the warranty was up. You'll love it. I now have an 09 e93 M3. If you can swing it go convertible! At least go with the 335is convertible if you can find one you like. A little extra on the monthly payment but well worth it.

P.S. There is nothing like hearing the V8 M3 start up! It gets the blood pumping!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
smoking_rubber and Joabmc like this.
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
gaylonw previously said: View Post
Buy a Lexus, you wont be sorry!....gm

I have 2 Lexus's . That's what I'm getting rid of. To be honest, I'm just tired of it. It's safe, reliable, comfortable and dependable. Thing is, it's a total bore to drive. I'll drive the FJ before I hop in the Lexus to go anywhere. I know it's not logical but I want something that is fun to drive and enjoyable on road trips. I'm not happy with the IS250. I drove it and it's not the same. The RX has been great but again, it's like driving a minivan IMO.
amaclach likes this.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

I had a 2001 x5 4.4 V8 before buying the FJ.honestly i still remember every moment i spent behind the wheel of that beast: tremendous amount of power and great handling.
however i ended up spending more time on the flatbed than on the roads. so you have to take into consideration the runing cost when buying a bimmer. ive heard that the 3 series are way more reliable than the x5...

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Other vehicle discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in