FORD releases teaser Bronco pic - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Other vehicle discussion Non-FJC talk...

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:35 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Re: FORD releases teaser Bronco pic

Here's some excitement for you guys. From the speculation of this video, it sounds like its FJ Cruiser sized. If the specs are close to the FJC, comes with and comes with a MT, I'm parking one next to my FJ.
CabinCruiser likes this.

2007 FJC - E-locked Front and Rear - Overland Bound member #12409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:15 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Garage

I've got hope that the Bronco will have a solid front axle. I really believe that Ford is targeting the Wrangler, and especially the Rubicon, with the new Bronco. They have plenty of soccer mom crossover suburban utility vehicles in their lineup already, why add another one? Since the FJ was stopped it's pretty much Jeep or nothing for an offroad-worthy small to mid sized vehicle and Ford sees opportunity to take some of that market share from Fiat.
SilvFx and CRFjockey like this.

2012 Army Green "The Mule"
My Build / My Adventures
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
http://www.chickenriveroffroad.com
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:57 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Whether its solid front axle or IFS, I'm still buying one. I still march up the same obstacles a comparably modded Jeep goes. Throw a front diff lock on a Bronco and I'll go the same places I go with my FJ assuming its the same dimension give or take. A Wrangler is just a very expensive toy. After driving a JK and a JL, I don't get them. Its a vehicle about compromise. I was literally brushing arms with the salesman when we were both using the armrest. You got a vehicle as wide as a FJ with the interior width of a Samurai.

I respect a wrangler as a midlife crisis vehicle you can throw the top off and go play in some rocks, but as an expedition vehicle, it comes up very very short. I'm confident the Bronco will pickup the torch the FJ left behind when it was discontinued. Toyota doesn't want my money because they don't want to build a vehicle in the segment the FJ used to be in. The 4Runner is much too long and way too expensive. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to spend high 40s for a brand new 4Runner then hack it up and wreck the interior because I need it to be an exploration vehicle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 07:48 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
crazysanman previously said: View Post
I've got hope that the Bronco will have a solid front axle. I really believe that Ford is targeting the Wrangler, and especially the Rubicon, with the new Bronco. They have plenty of soccer mom crossover suburban utility vehicles in their lineup already, why add another one? Since the FJ was stopped it's pretty much Jeep or nothing for an offroad-worthy small to mid sized vehicle and Ford sees opportunity to take some of that market share from Fiat.
Don't count out the 4Runner! 3 inches longer and same chassis as FJ, available with crawl control, ATRAC, DAC, and rear locker. No slouch off road.
Thorn661 likes this.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 07:51 AM
トヨダ Master

Garage

Quote:
007-FJC previously said: View Post
Whether its solid front axle or IFS, I'm still buying one. I still march up the same obstacles a comparably modded Jeep goes. Throw a front diff lock on a Bronco and I'll go the same places I go with my FJ assuming its the same dimension give or take. A Wrangler is just a very expensive toy. After driving a JK and a JL, I don't get them. Its a vehicle about compromise. I was literally brushing arms with the salesman when we were both using the armrest. You got a vehicle as wide as a FJ with the interior width of a Samurai.

I respect a wrangler as a midlife crisis vehicle you can throw the top off and go play in some rocks, but as an expedition vehicle, it comes up very very short. I'm confident the Bronco will pickup the torch the FJ left behind when it was discontinued. Toyota doesn't want my money because they don't want to build a vehicle in the segment the FJ used to be in. The 4Runner is much too long and way too expensive. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to spend high 40s for a brand new 4Runner then hack it up and wreck the interior because I need it to be an exploration vehicle.
Why don't you just buy another FJ? It's not like they're hard to find.
Thorn661 likes this.

R.I.P.- Echo

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
Don't count out the 4Runner! 3 inches longer and same chassis as FJ, available with crawl control, ATRAC, DAC, and rear locker. No slouch off road.
My wife had a 2016 Trail Edition 4Runner with KDSS, rear locker, crawl control, etc. Neither one of us liked it. The 4Runner is very underpowered. It has little to no acceleration when merging from a ramp to a highway or when changing lanes on the highway. It has a huge turn radius. Places I whip around with no problem in my FJ required a 3 point turn in the 4Runner. The 4Runner handled like a tug boat off-road. It was big and bulky and didn't feel like it would fit in places that the FJ went through without thinking twice about. This summer the wife traded in the 4Runner for a Subaru Outback and we haven't looked back.

2012 Army Green "The Mule"
My Build / My Adventures
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
http://www.chickenriveroffroad.com
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:40 AM
トヨダ Master

Garage

Quote:
crazysanman previously said: View Post
My wife had a 2016 Trail Edition 4Runner with KDSS, rear locker, crawl control, etc. Neither one of us liked it. The 4Runner is very underpowered. It has little to no acceleration when merging from a ramp to a highway or when changing lanes on the highway. It has a huge turn radius. Places I whip around with no problem in my FJ required a 3 point turn in the 4Runner. The 4Runner handled like a tug boat off-road. It was big and bulky and didn't feel like it would fit in places that the FJ went through without thinking twice about. This summer the wife traded in the 4Runner for a Subaru Outback and we haven't looked back.
You must've gotten a lemon. We have an '18 and I can't tell much difference driving it compared to the FJ, other than it has more power. Even at 7200' with a trailer I have no problems passing on the highway, even in the wind. That's weird. Maybe the '16's didn't have the higher powered engine.
Thorn661 likes this.

R.I.P.- Echo

post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
Why don't you just buy another FJ? It's not like they're hard to find.
There's quite a bit of engineering deficiencies with the FJ Cruiser. One of them being the ****ty steering column which needs to come out 10 inches away from the dash. In the near future, I will be fitting a 4th gen 4Runner column in my FJ to get over that bull**** design flaw. Another reason why I don't want another FJ Cruiser is because I don't feel like paying new car prices for an old truck that I'd have to modify the flaws just to make it feel right for me.

post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:02 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:

I absolutely agree about the JK / JL. They are really all compromise. I drove the JK 6 speed manual and felt the steering was so numb, didn't offer tactile feedback, almost felt as if you were moving a block of wood to steer. I know it is a SFA, off road focused vehicle, and I haven't driven a JL, but I am thinking it is more of the same. Also, the interior quality / road noise, etc. leaves much to be desired.

I daily my FJ, and it has always been comfortable. Now with the squishy Blizzaks, it rides like a Cadillac. The brakes are excellent, the handling is very good, it really does everything well.

As far as a 4runner or JL, man they are pricey. I drove the 4Runner Trail with KDSS, and thought it was very nice, but 40K? I bought my FJ for 20K, and the new 4Runner is definitely not 2X the vehicle. A JL Wrangler? A Rubicon would be the only one I would consider... 51K? Whaaaaaaat?

2008 FJ Off Road Package, Titanium Silver, AT.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:15 PM
トヨダ Master

Garage

Quote:
There's quite a bit of engineering deficiencies with the FJ Cruiser. One of them being the ****ty steering column which needs to come out 10 inches away from the dash. In the near future, I will be fitting a 4th gen 4Runner column in my FJ to get over that bull**** design flaw. Another reason why I don't want another FJ Cruiser is because I don't feel like paying new car prices for an old truck that I'd have to modify the flaws just to make it feel right for me.
I never thought about the steering column being short as a deficiency. Good point. They could've made them telescopic for taller or longer armed individuals. As far as engineering deficiencies goes, every make and model has them, certainly Ford. If there were one vehicle that was perfect, then manufacturers would have nothing to improve or to market to people. I try not to take anything for granted when it comes to technology or comfort. I remember when we drove trucks with no ABS, lumber wagon ride quality, carburetors, incandescent lighting, solid axles in 4x4s, mundane radios, non-synchromesh transmissions & transfer cases, and the list goes on. We never knew we wanted those things that are now standard, until they marketed them to us. Probably why I drive my '94 Toyota more than my new Tundra.
Thorn661 likes this.

R.I.P.- Echo

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Other vehicle discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in