Must be out of the tech loop - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Other vehicle discussion Non-FJC talk...

55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage
Must be out of the tech loop

Quote:
John3M previously said: View Post
Next thing the greenies will want is a windmill on the roof to supply electricity.
Funny, I just recalled that passenger jets already them.....they drop down from the rear.

Even though I drive an FJ, I own a hybrid to help offset the environmental impact. Your “greenies” comment is unnecessary. We only have one planet. Better to try and save it than sit around and do nothing but give those people nicknames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Iceberg FJ, CRAWL Control, Rear Diff. Lock, ATRAC, Eezi Awn K9 Roof Rack, Hella Aux lights, Rear Chase Lights, TRD Ultimate Edition Suspension, TRD Pro 17" rims, BF GoodRich KO2 285/70/17, Eezi Awn 1400 Series 2 Roof Top Tent, National Luna Dual Battery Controller, Optima Yellowtop 34/78 Battery

Last edited by tsfarling; 05-06-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Let me know If you ever get tired of advising others how to talk walk and chew gum. I’ve probably done more to save the planet then you ever will. Through monitary donations, actively cleaning up after people like you when working fore the Forest Service for twenty five years and never felt the need to criticize others. Frankly I’m tired of the constant armchair BS from Greenies who know nothing about the planet except advise.

There is nothing wrong with you that reincarnation wont cure.

Confidence: It's what you have before you ask your wife's opinion.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Must be out of the tech loop

Relax guys. No flaming. I'm removing the flames - if it starts again, I'm not afraid hand out some forum holidays.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

The one thing that people never look at with green technology is the long term carbon footprint. The short term it all seems rainbows and unicorns but the long term foot print is often greater than what the green technology is to replace/offset.

I do agree we need to be good stewards and do our part whatever it may be.

I still not a fan of the auto off technology - it means I give up a measure of control while operating a vehicle and that is never a good thing.
Iconic_ likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

I'm not sure how this topic took a tangent but This article from How Stuff Works explores another perspective...

Toyota admits that the production of its lightweight Prius requires more energy and emits more carbon dioxide than the production of its gas-only models [source: Williams]. The major reason is because hybrids like the Prius include more advanced components than a conventional car, including a second electric motor and heavy battery packs.

Batteries are an essential component of hybrids. Regenerative braking lets hybrids generate and store their own energy to power the vehicle at low speeds and while idling. Unfortunately, both nickel-hydride batteries and the newer lithium-ion batteries rely on the mining of nickel, copper and so-called rare earth metals. The production of lithium-ion batteries account for 2 to 5 percent of total lifetime hybrid emissions and nickel-hydride batteries are responsible for higher sulfur oxide emissions, roughly 22 pounds (10 kilograms) per hybrid compared with 2.2 pounds (about 1 kilogram) for a conventional vehicle [sources: Samaras and Burnham et al].

There are additional environmental concerns related to those rare earth metals, like those used in the magnets of hybrid batteries. In recent years, rare earth metals like lithium have been imported almost exclusively from China, which was able to lower its prices enough to monopolize the industry [source: Strickland]. One of the reasons China could sell lithium so cheaply was because it widely ignored environmental safeguards during the mining process. In the Bayan Obo region of China, for example, miners removed topsoil and extracted the gold-flecked metals using acids that entered the groundwater, destroying nearby agricultural land. Even the normally tight-lipped Chinese government admitted that rare earth mining has been abused in some places. A regulator at the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology in China went so far as to tell The New York Times, "This has caused great harm to the ecology and environment" [source: Bradsher]."
amaclach likes this.

There is nothing wrong with you that reincarnation wont cure.

Confidence: It's what you have before you ask your wife's opinion.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage

Relax guys!

The world is going to end in 10 years anyway, or haven't you heard? I avoid all rural areas where cows congregate to avoid the methane over exposure.

Eat a cow, save the earth!

[/sarcasm]

(do I get a vacation for that?)
rotorhed1 and amaclach like this.

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)

Actually this belongs in the political section. Maybe it should be moved there as it is off tangent from the original subject.

I don't do stuff to intentionally harm the environment, in CO I "stay the trail" pack out what I pack in, etc. I do have a couple of comments.

If someone owns a hybrid vehicle that gets 50 MPG, they tend to not save fuel. They just drive more, going on road trips as they now can afford the fuel. I got into a debate years ago when I was in Phoenix when some young woman scolded me for driving a gas guzzler, my '72 Chevy K20 P/U. I explained that I worked a 7 on 7 off schedule and only drove 20 miles a day when I was on shift. Whereas she drove 50 miles each way 5 of every 7 days. Plus she had kids, which meant that she drove many more miles during a week by taking the kids places and so on. Also just having kids increases their "footprint".

Here we don't recycle foam cups, containers, packing material, etc. All of our recycling from here is shipped to CA and sometimes on to China. A big truck full of a few hundred pounds of foam would require hundreds of gallons of fuel. It is more environmentally friendly to just bury it here.

The talk of going totally electric is unrealistic. Where are we going to get the copper for the wiring that will be needed? We can't mine or refine it as extreme environmentalists would complain of the pollution that it would cause. We could use the powerlines that we have and just up the voltage with the same amperage to get more power transmitted, but that would mean new insulation on the wires and lots of petroleum to do that. Nuclear would help, but that will never be. No politician will push for that as people have a mindset against it. If a politician were to suggest it, they would never get elected/re-elected.

I see this as an unfix-able problem. With the world population continuing to rise we can't improve efficiency enough to counter it. To grow enough food the plants are GMO and require fertilizer. Which comes from petroleum and effects the ground water.

So with all of that said I really don't get my panties in a wad over this. It really doesn't matter as there isn't a solution IMO.
amaclach likes this.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:32 AM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6946 Post(s)
Garage
I try to do a little bit, like when I take a drive out into the desert or forest to take photos I always stop and water the plants in different areas.
amaclach, Iconic_ and CabinCruiser like this.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
I try to do a little bit, like when I take a drive out into the desert or forest to take photos I always stop and water the plants in different areas.
Please tell me you don't have photo albums full of pictures of you peeing in the desert and woods. That will open up another whole debate that could get strange at best.
rotorhed1 likes this.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:05 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6946 Post(s)
Garage
Please tell me you don't want me to send you some photos.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Other vehicle discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in