Need Help - Considering Trading FJ for Tesla Model 3 - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Other vehicle discussion Non-FJC talk...

63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:11 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Need Help - Considering Trading FJ for Tesla Model 3

Another Toyota like an xB or such and get 33+ MPG.

トヨタ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Garage

Sorry, everytime I see the title I can't help but think the OP is asking for psychiatric help to Jerome the urge to swap an FJ for a Tesla. No offence intended, I hope none taken, just can't help but to read it that way!

My opinion on what the contribution of the Tesla Motor Company has made... they have put the name of the most underrated scientist on the map... ("Tesla, The man who invented the 20th Century") Two people in history I would like to meet would have been Nikola Tesla and Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain).

Sorry I digress from the question.

I ran a cheap car as well as the FJ until recently. A Honda Jazz, 55mpg but as boring as 'ditch water'... I sold it in Jan, for various reasons. I worked out it was costing me money to run it along side the FJ. Running costs versus the fuel cost savings broke about even but if I factored in the depreciation on the Honda I was out of pocket. Plus why walk past the FJ to drive a car I hated. But now it's gone I miss it, I miss being able to leave it anywhere without caring, and nobody noticing it. I miss the 'lets go somewhere' without caring about a bit of fuel. I would buy another commuter when circumstances change again but I wouldn't sell my FJ.

That said if the FJ no longer fits your needs and doesn't have the smile factor any longer then it's time to change and if the Tesla fits the bill now go for it.
Hannibal, amaclach, FJFool and 1 others like this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html

Last edited by ZerosFJ; 06-17-2019 at 05:40 AM.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:41 AM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)

A Honda Jazz. Isn't that a Hummer Escape Pod?

Kids today probably have no clue who Tesla was. I've been reading his work these past few weeks. Fascinating!

And Mr. Clemens
ZerosFJ and FJFool like this.

トヨタ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
A Honda Jazz. Isn't that a Hummer Escape Pod?

Kids today probably have no clue who Tesla was. I've been reading his work these past few weeks. Fascinating!

And Mr. Clemens

Coincidentally Tesla and Twain were close acquaintances!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:12 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
PJcruiser13 previously said: View Post
I can charge for free at work!
Someone pays for it.

I work for the State of California (not proud of it), and there are "free" chargers in the parking lots here. So, of course, on the surface, the State pays to recharge the electric cars of its employees. But what that really means is every Californian pays to recharge them. It's a hidden subsidy for electric car owners at the compulsory expense of everyone else.

Of course, you may work in the private sector, in which case, this doesn't exactly apply.

óMIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Quote:
Thank you all for the input! So far I am planning to keep my FJ. As cool as it would be to have a Tesla, I agree with what everyone has said, and I think the fun will eventually wear off. Iím tossing around the idea of a cheap commuter car around $5k - $7k. Not yet sure what I would get though!
1978 VW Diesel Rabbit.....roal some coal!
USA4X4 likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:13 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage

There is so much bad information here about Teslas that it is really comical. A bunch of folks who really have no clue what they are talking about making up crap.

Former FJ/Corvette owner both heavily modified....current Tundra / Tesla Model S owner..

The best post in this thread was the idea of different cars for different purposes. But not practical for many.

Unless you are buying a stripper 35k model 3 it won't make sense financially. The two cars are so incredibly different that unless you are looking for a significant life style change can't see swapping one for the other.

Someday when I have more time I will come back to refute some of the craziness sprouted here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:03 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Garage

My sister has a BMW i3, and it's perfect for her. She seldom drives long distance, and it's just her, her daughter and her dog to move around. She traded her X6 for it and is super happy with it.
I've driven it and it's a fun little car.
For commuting a small electric makes sense especially if you get free charging, parking, and also if you get reduced road taxes etc for going "green".
I've toyed with the idea of something small like a leaf or i3, to supplement the FJ, but I'd only do it if it made financial sense.
Also remember that most countries are trying to phase out internal combustion vehicles - as an example, Ireland have just announced that they will only allow 100% electric vehicles by 2030, and fully phase internal combustion engines out out by 2045.
In between now & 2045, getting fuel will become increasingly difficult as demand drops. You might as well get the use out of your FJ over the next 20 years while you can still buy fuel.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Help! Iím seriously considering trading my Ď14 FJ for a Tesla Model 3.
You DO need help, Don't do it!

Thankfully you've come to the right place.

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
Sorry, everytime I see the title I can't help but think the OP is asking for psychiatric help to Jerome the urge to swap an FJ for a Tesla.
Same here, this is a definite cry for help. And he's come to this support group! Good on him.

Of course the den of FJ addicts might not be the most neutral place to come to ask such a question. Me thinks by choosing this forum to post he's leaning towards keeping it.

Keep it, keep it, keep it.

Really, I'm jealous. I love this vehicle.
I've wanted one since I laid my eyes on the concept that started the buzz.
Alas it has not yet been in the cards, I eventually got a '97 FZJ80 (which I love) but I still love those Jelly Beans!

1987 FJ60
1997 FJ80 40th
Work, sleep, family, sanity? An FJ freak craves not these things.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:27 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
BurlNJFJ previously said: View Post
There is so much bad information here about Teslas that it is really comical. A bunch of folks who really have no clue what they are talking about making up crap.

Someday when I have more time I will come back to refute some of the craziness sprouted here.

Please elaborate soon! Your position is not clear.

I like to hear all takes on EVs.

I do know that generally their "greeness" is overblown.
EVs are not "zero emission" vehicles. More properly they are "elsewhere emission" vehicles, i.e. the charging power comes from the grid and it's source of power. This makes them mostly natural gas or coal fired. While some areas have a higher percentage of energy in the grid from renewable sources, the overall percentage in the US is still small.

Also the manufacturing energy costs are as I understand it greater for EV/Hybrid vehicles vs traditional ones. Those emissions count towards the total environmental cost (impact) of the vehicle too.

I'm not saying we shouldn't push in that direction and keep developing the technology, we absolutely should.
However there needs to be more transparency about the total costs ($ and environmental impact) of EV vs ICE vehicles.

I look forward to the day when there's an affordable drop-in electric motor/battery conversion kit that'll mate up to Chevy 350 running gear/adapters.
That'll hopefully enable "conventional" vehicles to stay on the road as regulations tighten over time on emissions.

How cool would it be to have a silent rig out on the trails? Just tire noise and nature!

1987 FJ60
1997 FJ80 40th
Work, sleep, family, sanity? An FJ freak craves not these things.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Other vehicle discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in