Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Stuck For The 1st Time

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  woooody 
#1 ·
I had heard about a spot to go wheeling in the next county over . So my buddy and some nieghbors load up the kids and head out to explore. We found the first trail and ran through everything with no proplems . He has a 05 Taco with a Toytec 3 inch lift that we just installed a few weeks back and were both running stock tires . This trail had 1 mud pit and some hills and everything is going great.

We finish up this section and go looking for more mud. I ordered my new wheels and tires last week and wanted to run the stock tires 1 more time to compare them to my new ones . At this point in Yoda's life he had not gotten me stuck , things were about to change . We find another trail and as soon as we got off the paved road there was a large mud pit. I start to get out of the truck to check out the depth of the mud. Well my buddy and his Taco take off into the mud ! The kids and i are laughing are arses off watching him trying to get through the mud , and then he gets stuck .

No big deal right, will pull him out . My passenger and i get out to find the best way to get over and retrieve him . He suggest to back up and go around , i'm feeling confident that i can cross straight over to get him. It's only 12 foot wide and 6 inches deep to get across. I take off across and as my front tires start to come out the other side the big rut on the right graps my passengers tire and pulls me into the deep stuff . Oh Shoot ! After some backing up and going forward i managed to get my self into even deeper mud.

We ended up calling my buddys wife to bring over his Tundra to get are 2 dumb arses out .

At one point i looked up to the road to see if she was there and i see a Jeep . I thought cool he'll come help us out ! Looked back up and he was gone, i think he was Scared . We all had a great time and now i have something to compare my new tires with. You can see all the photos on youtube. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

See less See more
Reactions: Dragon
#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
No new skins yet yoda ?... That thar' looks
sticky !!!... I bet the kids luved the heck
outa' it...

#6 ·
150 people have looked at this post and 3 have responded ! I give you all the Angry Andy Salute . If any off you get stuck on the trail i'll just :wave:

#9 ·
Now Yoda, that's not playing nice at all. No one was rssponding really because it was after the fact and what could we do now except say.... nice pics? glad you got someone to help. Yes you better get those new tires so that just won't happen to you again. But i'll just :wave: next time, too! ;)

#7 · (Edited)
OK, I'll reply.

Strike ONE for the buddy system, eh? :mofo: There's a joke in there somewere ;)

How many Toyota's do need need to pull an FJ out of the mud? Just one, but she's home with the kids :roller:

Great story, thanks for the picts. Glad everything worked out OK - A

#8 ·
Todd, todd todd,
aaron and i leave you alone and you go get stuck!!!!!!! those new shoes will help. See you sson at harlan
ICENUT

#10 ·
new tires will do wonders for you, the stockers suck in that stuff as you have found out. :)

#14 ·
I did not air down , may of helped but i think i still would of been stuck. Had the locker on until it dug the tires deeper in the mud. After i was stuck for a while i was able to get the drivers side tires to spin with the a-trac but the tires would not grap the logs i stuck under them . Vaughn your winch would of been appreciated . My tires are suppose to be here friday wich means will propaply be back over there saturday or sunday if you want to join us. We never got to see the rest of the trail . There is also suppose to be more trails futher down that i have heard people have rolled there rigs on . Missmy , i will try the same section with the new tires and will not air them down either. Next time i'm taking the video recorder.

#15 ·
Great write up and pics Yoda. Do her again with the new rubber.

#16 ·
Airing down in mud may not be as beneficial as it is when sand or rock crawling.

Especially with mud treads where you have some knobby sidewalls.

There is a big argument out there about wider and thinner tires. I believe that it depends on the type of mud you are in.

It is questionable whether aring down will help... However, keeping them aired up will increase your ground clearance and reduce flex.

I might be able to make a Sunday trip out there...

-Rip

#21 ·
oh dear... thanks for the story/pics. Here I am a newbie offroader trying to plan a trip in May to the Sierra with no buddy system, and no winch. haha!! Guess I'd better keep it simple and stay out of the mud. :) The stock FJ can only do so much, it seems....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.