Photography For Dummies - Page 19 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Picture/Media Post If you have any pictures or movies which feature the Toyota FJ Cruiser please post them in this section, or in the Toyota FJ Cruiser Photo Gallery

383Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 294 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Photography For Dummies

Quote:
jeepconvert previously said: View Post
So, I guess I'm looking for a good "rule of thumb" to remind me in the field of what an adjustment will do. Would I be safe to say "the more I open up a setting the more I have to sacrifice"

For example:

the more I increase ISO, the more noise I allow...

the more I increase the aperture opening, the less depth I get...

the more I slow the shutter, the less stable I become (more blurr)...

Am I correct? I'm getting lost in the numbers, which is kinda odd for me. Once I get the broad strokes figured out, then I can start getting into the nitty-gritty of the nbrs.

I think you have the basics figured out. In the field just keep it simple like P. mentioned. Decide what is important for the shot. If your subject is moving you might need to increase shutter speed so use S priority and let the camera figure out the rest. If you want a really shallow depth of field in a close up shot for instance, shoot in A priority and keep the aperture number low.

ISO can be used to get a little more light if your other settings are not allowing the light to come in. So far I have let the camera decide where ISO should be (except for the limit I just added as mentioned previously).

Use the exposure compensation buttons if the meters are not reading the light correctly. I've been reading up on this but don't have much experience with it. The concept seems easy enough. I imagine with practice identifying the cases where exposure compensation is required will get more intuitive. (Is exposure compensation the correct term?)
ImpulseRed likes this.

Sometimes Big Momma needs a little help to get over an obstacle.

Boiler Up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 294 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I try to only shoot in manual, if you keep letting the camera do the work you will never figure out how to use it the correct way. Yes you can get good photos while using the auto or simi auto modes, but you can't control exactly whats happening with your photos.
toyotacolin, FJ Moose and OldGold like this.
post #183 of 294 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage

now, let me ask you all some storage questions. How/where do you store your pics? Cloud/Flickr/Photobucket etc? Do you only upload the stuff you want to share in a forum or do you upload everything? Do you keep everything or just the stuff you clean up in Lightroom? Do you keep the RAW files as well as the exported file?

I know some of you must have thousands upon thousands of photos by now. How do you manage them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 294 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:04 PM

Garage

Here are some shots I took at Patriots Point, Charleston SC aboard the Yorktown aircraft carrier. It was a cold and rainy day, so not much I could do about the sky.

Let me know what you think.

This guy was flying about quite a bit, but I could never catch him with wings spread.

DSC_0662 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

I cropped this one down so try and get some of the detail in his feathers.

DSC_0711 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

DSC_0625 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

DSC_0635 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

DSC_0634 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

DSC_0554 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

DSC_0553 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

…and finally, one for @Vegas_Nick

DSC_0552 by jeepconvert, on Flickr
FJ Moose, ImpulseRed and OldGold like this.
post #185 of 294 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)

Quote:
Here are some shots I took at Patriots Point, Charleston SC aboard the Yorktown aircraft carrier. It was a cold and rainy day, so not much I could do about the sky.

Let me know what you think.

…and finally, one for @Vegas_Nick

DSC_0552 by jeepconvert, on Flickr
Thanks man! Nice ol B Model! I so miss that place. I grew up in Greenville. I spent many a summer running around there and Myrtle Beach.
FJ Moose likes this.
post #186 of 294 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)

Quote:
now, let me ask you all some storage questions. How/where do you store your pics? Cloud/Flickr/Photobucket etc? Do you only upload the stuff you want to share in a forum or do you upload everything? Do you keep everything or just the stuff you clean up in Lightroom? Do you keep the RAW files as well as the exported file?

I know some of you must have thousands upon thousands of photos by now. How do you manage them?
Ive got a 4 Terabyte (4000 Gigabyte) hard drive, I keep everything, and only upload to Flickr what I edit in light room.
FJ Moose and jeepconvert like this.
post #187 of 294 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:35 PM

Garage

Quote:
Vegas_Nick previously said: View Post
Thanks man! Nice ol B Model! I so miss that place. I grew up in Greenville. I spent many a summer running around there and Myrtle Beach.
here are a couple more just for you, buddy

DSC_0700 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

The leftover front office of a Sikorsky

DSC_0696 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

DSC_0694 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

DSC_0692 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

DSC_0690 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

DSC_0685 by jeepconvert, on Flickr

…of course we can't leave out the Fighting Lady.

DSC_0673 by jeepconvert, on Flickr
FJ Moose likes this.
post #188 of 294 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:38 PM

Garage

Quote:
Basil previously said: View Post
Ive got a 4 Terabyte (4000 Gigabyte) hard drive, I keep everything, and only upload to Flickr what I edit in light room.
Ok, thanks. That's what I've been doing, too. Only uploading what I want to share.
FJ Moose likes this.
post #189 of 294 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Convert, nice bird pics! And I mean than in more ways than one. I think the cloudy, rainy sky actually adds to the picture. It complements the planes and battleships. Also, you don't get the strong shadows that you might see on a sunny day.
FJ Moose likes this.

Boiler Up!
post #190 of 294 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Challenge #1 : Take a picture of The Moon.

We can all see it in the sky. I looks beautiful. It goes through phases and appears to change colors depending on when and where in the sky you see it. Except for those who live underground, we all have access to it.

I challenge anyone reading this to take a picture of the moon and post your best shot (or best couple of shots if they are significantly different). While I do enjoy healthy competition, we don't need to vote on the shots. I'm just curious what everyone will come up with. It can be at day or at night, clear or cloudy, other landscape items can be included. The only rule is that the moon has to be the focal point of the picture.

Who's up for the challenge?

-----------------------------------------------------

I'll start. Below are two moon shots I look Friday night.

Again I used my only zoom lens at it's max focal length of 140 mm. I had to crop a large amount of the picture to get the moon to fill the frame. Keeping camera shake to a minimum is a necessity when so much data is lost due to cropping and the higher focal length. I was able to keep the shutter speed pretty quick for a night shot because the moon was so bright.

I don't have a tripod available so a bench in my back yard and a blanket had to substitute. I also don't have a trigger so I used the timer function to prevent shake when the picture is snapped.

Good thing I did this a night. My neighbors might have though I was crazy if they could see me.

It started as a clear night. I took about 90 pictures in 30-45 min. Only one picture turned out acceptable to show the detail in the moon. The others were out of focus, blurry, over exposed, or had clouds in the way. In the LCD screen the over exposed shoots looked good but when I brought them inside and reviewed on the computer it was obvious the over exposure had blown away much the detail in the moon. That night, I thought the shot below was underexposed.
_DCS4776 by mdjamieso, on Flickr

In the middle of shooting some clouds rolled in and created a cool haunted looking scene. This shot looked like nothing before editing - just a black screen. I played with contrast, brightness, and shadow protection and got the picture below.
_DCS4735 by mdjamieso, on Flickr
ImpulseRed likes this.

Boiler Up!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Picture/Media Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in