post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Pan American Highway south.... Way south

Hey James,
Thanks for reminding me about that site.
I was there some time ago.

This one is also neat.
The Africa Overland Network - Independent Overland Travel across Africa, Asia and World

Might drop in and see cousin Hugo. We're tight.

I talked to Lisa about the possibility of going (solo) and she didn't seem opposed at all. 23 years of marriage explains that one.

Hope your last excursion was great.
Idea: why don't you join me?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RADROD57 For Sale
KJ6AET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

What a Great Adventure It Would Be! If I had the time and $$$ I would join in on the journey...I would say a group larger than ten might be capable of this journey. You would need some political connections to get you thru several hot spots. some rogue soldiers and drug lords to be paid.

Fabtech 6" 20'BBS
Cooper STT 37" M/T,2:00 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy All pro M-1 bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill,Yukon4:56
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Look up a member named Shreesh. He did this trip a year or so ago.

I lived in the Patagonia for a few years. And although I have not seen everything on Earth I am comfortable saying that it is in the very top tier for beauty on this planet. You should aim for Ushuaia (the end of the world) the boats that go to antarctica leave from there. I lived there 6 months during the summer 1999-2000. I still get a little emotional thinking about the things I saw there. Perito Moreno is down South and that alone would be worth the drive from the U.S.

I've driven 85%+ of the highway through Chile. Chilean food is gross. There are many things not to miss in Chile (Beaches, Osorno, Torres del Paine etc..) But having seen Chile, if I had 2 months to spend I would spend most of my time on the Argentine side.
(No offense amigos, it is beautiful make no mistake)

The trip through central America would stress me out a bit without some good support (at the very least a spanish speaker ). The FJ won't exactly blend in down there. Argentina & Chile seem to be a lot more safe, but can still be very dangerous. Things not to miss if you're going to be down there already:
•Iguazu falls (borders of Brazil & Argentina)
•Bariloche & Villa La Angostura, (stay at a B&B in the Villa or the famous Llao LLao hotel.
•Aconcagua (Highest peak in S. America the switchbacks on the highway near there will blow your mind. You're destination seems 200 yards away, but you have to drive 200 miles back and forth to get there.
•The city of Mendoza is one of the most beautiful I've been in, but I don't know what to do there activity wise unless you like clubbin'.
•Puerto Pyramides is a day trip out on a peninsula on a dirt road but you will see much of the unique wildlife of the Patagonia. If you're lucky the Orcas will be feeding on the sea lions at the beach, and you will see some whales along with guanacos and some big ostrich-like birds that I can't remember what they are called right now, and penguins, and more. You would stay in Puerto Madryn a town built on a bay and you might see some whales and dolphins from your hotel, if not a short boat ride usually fixes that.
•I mentioned Perito Moreno, and you would have an empty checkbox in your bucket list if you didn't go ice trekking there.
•On the island of Tierra Del Fuego there is world class fishing in the rivers near Rio Grande, and of course Ushauia. If I were a God tasked with painting a better end to a trek like the one you are proposing than Ushuaia. I doubt I could do it.

Argentine food is Amazing (for the most part). Asados, milanesas, empanadas, dulce de leche, the beef is well above average (I didn't eat red meat before moving there, but I changed my mind)... oh and find some mate-cocido to help aquire the taste of mate, if you make friends with anyone down there you will surely be invited to share in the Argentine drink of friendship. I dream of an overland trip along this same route. It is just a dream for now though. Good luck, and thanks for bringing back some of my most precious life memories.

brett
2007 Black Diamond 7G edition "The Trail Bomber"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Garage

With all the trouble down in Mexico I would rather go North way North. I would feel way better going thru Canada and Alaska then going across the Mexican border.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Brett,
All I can say is "Wow" and Thanks !
That was really informative.

Steve,
I'll bring a prayer book. And thanks for watching out for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RADROD57 For Sale
KJ6AET
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Awesome Luke!
Wish I had the time to join you as this sounds like its right up my ally. Good luck to you. When I get back from Iceland will have to get together for some lunch.

"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting
out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you
have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyways and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
radrod57 previously said: View Post
Idea: why don't you join me?
Admittedly, that's a definite push outta the ol' comfort zone since I don't speak any "south of the border" lingo. Getting away for that length of time would be very difficult too.

I guess I'm more with sanderhawk. I'm grown to really enjoy my trips to British Columbia and only want to see and explore more of our northern neighbor's backyard.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Doesn't mater now.

Had to cancel for a variety of reasons.
Too many things to do in a short time. Plus other considerations that shall remain nameless.

On Monday the 19th, I was set to depart for Brownsville, TX and meet NoLimitX and their Land Rovers. Then drive through MX, to Belieze and continue along to Panama to the USA.

It was last minute, but I got the container shipping from Panama to LA worked out. Scheduled for vaccinations this afternoon. It was going pretty good. Then Bubkas.

So the next opportunity is November for NoLimitX's return trip from Panama to the USA.

Ya'll might want to consider. It will be about 30 days. 14 days from Panama to Belize. 14 days up Mexico and to the states.

FYI on Shipping:
This I learned. It's a lot easier to ship a vehicle from the US to Panama, than the other way around. There are numerous international shipping companies / brokers that will take it out. None would consider taking it into the US.

I worked directly with a Panamanian Logistics company. Got the quote today. $2,526 I was expecting about $1,800 because I got quotes on shipping to Europe for $4,000. Still not that bad. (Cheaper than 1st class air)

That said, since there are so many US auto transport companies that ship out, one would think that price will be cheaper.

FYI on vaccinations:
Give yourself plenty of advance time to get them before departing. Most are a minimum of 14 days. Others can be up to 2 months (Rabies and Hep B)

Until the next trip. Adios

(Might see ya'll in Ouray, if I can put it together.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RADROD57 For Sale
KJ6AET
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My "Dream Trip" has always been to go from the Arctic Ocean to the Antarctic Ocean by the Trans America highway. Cheech did it last year and they went alone and took almost a year I think. Some day maybe. Not sure if my wife is that adventurous anymore. It would be a serious trip and would take a lot of advance planing and the right mix of fellow travelers.

GRAMPS TOY: 07 BD "C" Package, 5Spd Auto, Hood Deflector, Vent Shades, Pass. ArmRst, SS Grille Inserts, Black Tundra Handles, Bushwacker Flares, Real Tree WetOkole's. FJ Freedom Windows, Springtail MPac,

OFF ROAD MODS: ARB Winch Bumper, KC Daylighters, PIAA 510 Fogs, K&N Filter, 12,000 lb. Titan Winch w/syn line, Icon Remote Res Frt Shocks w Light Racing Upper Control Arms (Metal Tech) Rasta 4x4 Ally skids, Pro-Comp 7028's (powdercoated white) & Goodyear 285 x 17 MT/R's, SpyderTrax Spacers. AFE 3" High Tuck Cat Back, AFE CAI,(FJoel) Rigid 20" Light Bar, Metal Tech Red Eye R Bumper

ORIGINAL FJ:71 FJ4040 yrs ago) 350 Chevy V8 Conv., 4Spd GMC Truck Tranny, (IT BURNTUP)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Thumbs up Re: Pan American Highway south.... Way south

Quote:
DC Cruiser previously said: View Post
My "Dream Trip" has always been to go from the Arctic Ocean to the Antarctic Ocean by the Trans America highway. Cheech did it last year and they went alone and took almost a year I think. Some day maybe. Not sure if my wife is that adventurous anymore. It would be a serious trip and would take a lot of advance planing and the right mix of fellow travelers.

I'm sure you meant 'to the tip of South America' (or something along those lines), right? There is no Antarctic Ocean.

Silly me.....seriously though, I would love to do something like that. I just can't imagine it could ever be possible till I retire. Perhaps that's something I should start planning for now.....I'll have decades to get ready for it

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > Planned Expeditions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in