LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon then to Vegas

Hi all,

I will be planning a 4 day trip from San Diego to the Grand Canyon. My journey will include stops 1st at the Grand Canyon, then Vegas, and finally the Hoover Dam. I was wondering what would be a good plan for the road trip(I will be taking the FJ out for the first time) and also if there are any beginner level off-road trails to take me and the family out on. If you guys have any suggestions or any opinions on how I should plan my time please feel free to let me know.

note: most likely I will be staying for three nights at the Grand Canyon and then one night at Las Vegas then head home the next day. Please suggest me with anything you guys recommend, I have never made this trip before and always wanted to go there.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Re: Trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon then to Vegas

On the way to GC, I would stop at Sedona and hit some of the trails there. I plan on doing that sometime this year.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

You can check out the trails by going to http://www.redrockcountry.org/maps/map-graphics/red-rock-map-9-05.pdf . You can also go here: http://www.pinkjeep.com/jeep-tours/sedona/

Last edited by santeefj; 04-19-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I lived in Arizona for 35 years and there are great trails everywhere!! There are also lots of places to explore just outside of Vegas as well. My suggestion would be to get yourself a topography map for Arizona and Nevada as those will show you lots of trails for the areas you will be in. Any other questions let me know by PM. I have been on almost everything from Baja to Nevada in that region of the west.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)

Are you staying on the North Rim?
There's alot more offroad wandering up there and hardly as many people.
If you're staying at the South Rim you could shoot over one day to Peach Springs and drive down to the bottom of the canyon.
It's Diamond Creek and it turns into Indian Route 6.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

George S. Patton

βŁύẾֱֳֳֶָָmŢ6ֳֶֻ׃
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

ooh thanks for all the replies, i will definitely do some more research and homework to figure out what my plans are going to be. I think for now since I have never been to the GC, I would like to go see the Skywalk and also hang out around the South Rim(even though it is the more crowded of the 2). Hang out there for a night or two before heading to vegas and then off to the hoover dam and back.

Thanks for the comments I will surely have a great time
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I did a lot of exploring during a 5000 mile tour of the southwest last year. Highlights of my time around the Grand Canyon can be found here: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...st-tour-2.html.

If you enter the south rim of the Grand Canyon from the east via Hwy 64 off of Hwy 89 north of Sedona and Flagstaff, you'll have fewer crowds, can take the 35 mile loop road through the Sunset Crater Volcano and Wupatki National Monuments, will see a lot of Native American stands on Hwy 64 into the park and will only have to drive a few miles for a spot at the Desert View Campground (1st come/1st serve).

About 1/2 the distance west on Hwy 64 to the Grand Canyon Village (the main entrance, there's a fire road on the left (the only one) off of Hwy 64 which leads to the Grandview Fire Lookout. You're on FS Road 310 if you continue driving you'll reach FS Road 302 which will take you about 15 miles to Tusayan south of the main entrance to the park.

You can bypass the main entrance (and get into the park for FREE, if you didn't pay already) from here by taking FS Road 328 to FS Road 328A which takes you about 5 miles across the Grand Canyon Railroad tracks and past the dog kennels to the railroad station in the park. The turn off for FS Road 328 is just past the Tusayan Ranger Station on the right at the Apache Stables sign on the left. If in doubt, it's the LAST left turn before the main entrance.

Lastly, if you go to the north rim and want a truly remote experience, you can drive to the primitive campground at the Toroweap Overlook. There are only 8 or 9 campsites there and 6 of them require 4x4 to get there, but a stock FJ will make it fine. At this location, there are few people, no rangers and no guard rails. You can crawl right up to the edge of the Grand Canyon which is only about 1/2 mile across but still 3000 up above the Colorado at that point.

To get there, take BLM road #109 (aka Mt. Trumbull Road) which is on the left (south side) of Highway 389 about seven miles/12km west of Fredonia and about 20-25 miles west of the turn off to the North Rim Village on Hwy 89 after the split at Bitter Springs north of Hwy 64. It's a 60 mile drive down a dirt road the turnoff at Hwy 389 to the overlook but you don't need a 4x4 to do it.

Note that Hwy 89 loops at Bitter Springs west to Fredonia and north to Page. You can still get to Fredonia if you go north through Page and west to Kanab but you'll drive a lot more miles doing so. North of Kanab, Hwy 89 goes to Salt Lake City. FYI, Page is a very interesting town that is heavily populated by Navaho Indians and is worth a visit just to see Native Americans in the majority. I bought CO2 there to fill up one of my tanks at the Ace Hardware Store on my way to Monument Valley.

You can see pics and additional notes about these sites in my report on the trip in the link above.

Have fun!!!!

Marty

2017 Summit White Chevy Bolt
2012 Charcoal Grey Metallic Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 Black Sapphire Metallic BMW 335i
2007 VooDoo Blue Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT - Bought 04/11/14 SOLD 3/4/17
2007 Titanium Metallic Toyota FJ Cruiser AT - Bought in May 2007. SOLD 9/9/11
2002 Island Blue Ford F250 4x4 7.3L TD SC LB Lariat
2002 Absolutely Red Toyota MR2 Spyder
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

The new bridge over the Hoover Dam is done so it would probably be easier to hit the Dam on your way from AZ to Vegas. It's a big desert so there are lots of trails.

2007 - Titanium, 6 MT, Locker/A-Trac, TRD exhaust, Trail Gear Sliders, Ricochet Skids, Metal-Tech Bumper, Bilstein 5100s on 3rd notch, Warn 9.5ti, BFG ATs 285/70/17, ToyOutfitters LCAs

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > Planned Expeditions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in