Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to spongebobnopants
(Thread Starter)
Chicago to Phoenix Expedition

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here, and if not maybe a mod can move it for me.

Anyhow, I have a business conference to attend in Phoenix and I am planning on driving out there. I would like to hit some top National parks on the way.

The wife is coming with me and really wants to fly into Denver and rent an SUV to hit Moab, Arches, Slot Canyon, then work our way down to Phoenix hitting the usual stuff there.

So Denver is like 16 hours from Chicago. Does anyone have any suggestions on some worthwhile spots on the way? Possibly Nebraska? Something to break up that part of the 16 hour drive mainly for her. We will have a total of 8-9 days to get to my conference. The other option is for me to drive out and meet her in Denver a day later.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2010 TT - Upgrades: Richochet skids - GY Wrangler MTR 285/75/16 - RC 3" leveling kit with 2.2 shocks - TRD CAI - TRD exhaust - Road Armor Titan front bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - iPad ram mount - ARB 50QT Freezer - 60" Hi-lift Extreme - E1 Washer kit - Putco LED interior lights - Viper alarm with Smart Start - Exide 105ah deep cycle battery - MPAC Rear door storage /Pet barrier/ HD Side rack/ Console straddle - Baja Rack insert - Gobi ladder - Husky Liners - Midland 75-822 CB - PIAA 510.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Re: Chicago to Phoenix Expedition

I did the Denver to Phoenix drive a little over a month ago. We camped just outside of Arches National Park, just along side the Colorado River. It was beautiful! Arches is fantastic for some hiking and great scenery. I didn't have a chance to check out Moab, but if its possible, take your FJ and explore! It's a great drive....tons of fun.....but only with good company!

Drive safe!

2008 FJ Sandstorm
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 AM
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Lifetime Supporting Member

Once you get here, there are tons of things to check out between here and Pho. However, it sounds like you're asking for help with the stretch between Chi. and Den. If that's the case...

According to the NPS website,
MO has 6 national parks
KS has 5 national parks

Also, if you go that route (i.e. KS instead of NE), then you could stop at the Sternberg Museum of Natural History in Hays, KS along the way too. Great place!!

When you need gas, make sure to check out the Oasis in Colby.
OK, it's nothing special, but if you go that way, it will become one of your memorable gas/potty/coffee stops.

Oh....there's also the Fick Fossil and History Museum in Oakley, KS and a bunch of other neato Earth History places to check out on your way through KS.

Whichever route you take, I'm sure you guys will have fun.
Hope you're safe, and let us know when you're on the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to spongebobnopants
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the replies. We are now thinking about angling north through SD and hitting the badlands. Roughly the same distance to just heading straight to Denver, and hitting wyoming too. Not the best time of year for this, but I'm trying to make the most of it.

2010 TT - Upgrades: Richochet skids - GY Wrangler MTR 285/75/16 - RC 3" leveling kit with 2.2 shocks - TRD CAI - TRD exhaust - Road Armor Titan front bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - iPad ram mount - ARB 50QT Freezer - 60" Hi-lift Extreme - E1 Washer kit - Putco LED interior lights - Viper alarm with Smart Start - Exide 105ah deep cycle battery - MPAC Rear door storage /Pet barrier/ HD Side rack/ Console straddle - Baja Rack insert - Gobi ladder - Husky Liners - Midland 75-822 CB - PIAA 510.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > Planned Expeditions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in